Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page (The quest for the best performance of 1975)

10 hours ago, Jason Khavari said:

Hey gibsonfan159! Very interesting little series here, love reading through. Curious if you'll give 2/28 Baton Rouge a run through? I remember this being the first time when I was listening to Zeppelin bootlegs where I looked up and was in shock over how badly page was playing because I thought it was so rare! This was during the Black Dog solo, he is COMPLETELY LOST. 

I'll try to work that one in. I'm a big fan of that show, but that's gotta be the worst Black Dog ever. Shame, because the first half is great.

12 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'll try to work that one in. I'm a big fan of that show, but that's gotta be the worst Black Dog ever. Shame, because the first half is great.

It's actually a decent show, right! Really well recorded even by the high '75 standard for board tapes. Seems like it's all going well until Page hits the dressing room during Moby Dick, then the Jack sends everything south...

Anyways, great work, I really enjoy reading these!

20 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Let them say what they will...

...will your tongue wag so much when I send you to Hell .....

On 11/29/2018 at 3:49 PM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

tumblr_n7j630OOUe1qdqzl4o1_500.gif

The silver fox ...looking cool JP !

On 11/28/2018 at 7:02 PM, bluecongo said:

Black Dog became Jack Dog in Baton Rouge

The show is like night and day when it gets to Black Dog. Other than that, Baton Rouge is an awesome show overall. Kasmir and IMTOD being big highlights.

Nitpicking Page 1/18/1975 (EVSD Partial Soundboard)

A newly released, though incomplete, soundboard sample with a fairly good mix. This offers a good opportunity to nitpick an early show for the year. Hopefully we'll get the full release soon. 

TSRTS- Page's opening notes start out front and center but move to the right channel after the start. Plant sounding pretty good for 1975. 3:07, chord flub. 3:18, Page struggles to get this phrase started. First solo- not the most precise, but he holds it together fairly well. Second solo- some slight articulation issues, but not bad at all. "B+".

The Rain Song- 7:09, Plant's vocals move more up front and become clearer while some feedback comes through. Page and Jones knock down an excellent instrumental section. Rock Section- 11:38, a very loose drum fill by Bonham. Otherwise good. "B+".

Kashmir- This song starting off so casually never ceases to seem out of place. Maybe they didn't realize how epic it actually was. 19:53, Rob confuses the lyrics a bit. The outro is solid as Page noodles away in Arabic scales. "B+".

Wanton Song (Partial)- Rob a little hoarse on the start but otherwise hitting the notes perfectly. Unrated.

Assessment- Let's hope this entire show gets out soon as this would be an excellent introduction for the 1975 tour before things went south with Plant's vocals, as he'd get the flu soon after and remain raspy for months. Page is rusty, but plays well enough for an enjoyable show so far.

13 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 1/18/1975 (EVSD Partial Soundboard)

A newly released, though incomplete, soundboard sample with a fairly good mix. This offers a good opportunity to nitpick an early show for the year. Hopefully we'll get the full release soon. 

TSRTS- Page's opening notes start out front and center but move to the right channel after the start. Plant sounding pretty good for 1975. 3:07, chord flub. 3:18, Page struggles to get this phrase started. First solo- not the most precise, but he holds it together fairly well. Second solo- some slight articulation issues, but not bad at all. "B+".

The Rain Song- 7:09, Plant's vocals move more up front and become clearer while some feedback comes through. Page and Jones knock down an excellent instrumental section. Rock Section- 11:38, a very loose drum fill by Bonham. Otherwise good. "B+".

Kashmir- This song starting off so casually never ceases to seem out of place. Maybe they didn't realize how epic it actually was. 19:53, Rob confuses the lyrics a bit. The outro is solid as Page noodles away in Arabic scales. "B+".

Wanton Song (Partial)- Rob a little hoarse on the start but otherwise hitting the notes perfectly. Unrated.

Assessment- Let's hope this entire show gets out soon as this would be an excellent introduction for the 1975 tour before things went south with Plant's vocals, as he'd get the flu soon after and remain raspy for months. Page is rusty, but plays well enough for an enjoyable show so far.

Couldn't wait, could ya'? Hahaha.

TSRTS - I don't know if it was trouble with his fingers getting the first solo started or Jimmy just forgot where he was in the song. He is playing the rhythm riff fine and then it is like he realizes "oh shit, I'm supposed to be soloing right now" and he goes straight into the arpeggio second part of the first solo at the proper moment, so Bonham and Jones don't lose their time. God, how I wish his 12-string sounded this good on the 1977 soundboards.

Rain Song - Flu or no flu, you can tell right away that Plant was going to struggle with the 1975 tour no matter what. It simply was too soon to come back to touring after his throat nodes surgery. Page surprisingly not that bad...fairly nimble fingered considering his injury.

Kashmir - I got news for you, gibsonfan159, Plant always switched these lyrics up. I saw "Kashmir" performed nine times and every single damn time Plant switched the "Talk and song" and "Oh Father of the Four Winds" verses from the order it is on the studio version. I have listened to nearly every Led Zeppelin bootleg from 1975 to 1980 and every Kashmir has the same lyric switch. Even the 1988 Atlantic Records Anniversary Kashmir is switched. It wasn't until the 2007 O2 reunion that a Led Zeppelin live Kashmir featured the lyrics in the original order.

This is still a pretty powerful Kashmir for the opening date of the U.S. tour. Later on in the tour, Plant would frequently drop out of the coda altogether...not singing the "Let me take you there" refrain.

Wanton Song - As smoking hot as I knew it would be just from all the audience tapes of early 1975 I have heard. Release the Kräken!

5 hours ago, Strider said:

I saw "Kashmir" performed nine times and every single damn time Plant switched the "Talk and song" and "Oh Father of the Four Winds" verses from the order it is on the studio version. I have listened to nearly every Led Zeppelin bootleg from 1975 to 1980 and every Kashmir has the same lyric switch.

Not a major problem to me, I can live with that lyric switch. A huge disaster is the mutilation of the OTHAFA verses from 1973 onwards, that makes me mad.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Couldn't wait, could ya'? Hahaha.

TSRTS - I don't know if it was trouble with his fingers getting the first solo started or Jimmy just forgot where he was in the song. He is playing the rhythm riff fine and then it is like he realizes "oh shit, I'm supposed to be soloing right now" and he goes straight into the arpeggio second part of the first solo at the proper moment, so Bonham and Jones don't lose their time. God, how I wish his 12-string sounded this good on the 1977 soundboards.

Rain Song - Flu or no flu, you can tell right away that Plant was going to struggle with the 1975 tour no matter what. It simply was too soon to come back to touring after his throat nodes surgery. Page surprisingly not that bad...fairly nimble fingered considering his injury.

Kashmir - I got news for you, gibsonfan159, Plant always switched these lyrics up. I saw "Kashmir" performed nine times and every single damn time Plant switched the "Talk and song" and "Oh Father of the Four Winds" verses from the order it is on the studio version. I have listened to nearly every Led Zeppelin bootleg from 1975 to 1980 and every Kashmir has the same lyric switch. Even the 1988 Atlantic Records Anniversary Kashmir is switched. It wasn't until the 2007 O2 reunion that a Led Zeppelin live Kashmir featured the lyrics in the original order.

This is still a pretty powerful Kashmir for the opening date of the U.S. tour. Later on in the tour, Plant would frequently drop out of the coda altogether...not singing the "Let me take you there" refrain.

Wanton Song - As smoking hot as I knew it would be just from all the audience tapes of early 1975 I have heard. Release the Kräken!

Wasn't Jimmy playing with only two fingers during this part of the tour?  I know it's been said that he developed a two finger mode of playing while his finger healed. That may be why it's a bit off and not because he is using the injured finger.

2 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Not a major problem to me, I can live with that lyric switch. A huge disaster is the mutilation of the OTHAFA verses from 1973 onwards, that makes me mad.

Oh, definitely. Don't take my words as being angry. For "Kashmir" it still worked. To a lesser extent, Plant's regular botching of "Sick Again" (the Lips Like Cherries and Hours and Hours verses regularly got flip-flopped) and "The Ocean" and "Trampled Under Foot" didn't damage the songs as a whole too much.

But "Over the Hills and Far Away"? Yes, his eliminating the "Many have I love" verse and repeating "Many times I've lied" makes the song sound imbecilic and sloppy and careless. It's yet another reason why Robert Plant was the main focus of criticism of the band in the 1970s.

1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

Wasn't Jimmy playing with only two fingers during this part of the tour?  I know it's been said that he developed a two finger mode of playing while his finger healed. That may be why it's a bit off and not because he is using the injured finger.

The "Two-and-a-half Finger Technique" is what Jimmy said in the Creem interview at the time and what Plant said on stage.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

The "Two-and-a-half Finger Technique" is what Jimmy said in the Creem interview at the time and what Plant said on stage.

If you watch closely on a lot of his soloing in 75, he uses his pinky in place of his ring finger. Watch the black dog solos at EC.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Oh, definitely. Don't take my words as being angry. For "Kashmir" it still worked. To a lesser extent, Plant's regular botching of "Sick Again" (the Lips Like Cherries and Hours and Hours verses regularly got flip-flopped) and "The Ocean" and "Trampled Under Foot" didn't damage the songs as a whole too much.

I swear there are live versions of "Trampled" were Robert seems to sing one, maybe two verses over and over again😅. I'm exaggerating to prove a point, of course- it's like Plant neglected a verse or two in "Trampled Under Foot" on any given night between '75 and '80...I wonder why?

9 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I swear there are live versions of "Trampled" were Robert seems to sing one, maybe two verses over and over again😅. I'm exaggerating to prove a point, of course- it's like Plant neglected a verse or two in "Trampled Under Foot" on any given night between '75 and '80...I wonder why?

I think you're right. The "Groovin' on the freeway..." verse seemed to get repeated a lot.