Classic Rock's 50th anniversary special

Couldn't see a thread for it, so....

Classic Rock have brought out a lavish (10 quid!) special in the UK for the 50th. Writing by Mick Wall (:() and Chris Welch & Barney Hoskyns (:)) and others. Mostly a compilation of stuff from previous issues but some new stuff.

One thing bugged me was basic factual errors. The 1969 BBC radio pic is again captioned as 1968, Percy and Cole on the bed in the Starship as "a hotel in new york", etc. It wouldn't have taken much checking.

Fun reading though & I heartily recommend it. There's a good retrospective on the first UK gig at Newcastle Mayfair. And apparently the first song Slash ever mastered on guitar was Tangerine, so there you go.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 2:46 PM, reids said:

There’s even a few pictures rarely seen in other similar magazines over the past few years in this one. 

R😎👍

Grabbed this yesterday. Thanks for the heads up !

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Wont read anything that has anything to with Mic Wall. That guys book "When Giants walked the Earth" Was so full of opinionated crap it was a waste of money to buy. Led Zeppelin story has been told a million and 1 times, why do I need to hear how "stair way ...." was constructed when the singer himself trashes it every chance he gets.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 5:33 AM, strombringer101 said:

Wont read anything that has anything to with Mic Wall. That guys book "When Giants walked the Earth" Was so full of opinionated crap it was a waste of money to buy. 

That book cost Mick Wall his friendship with Jimmy Page, who felt he shared things that were off the record. I don't think Jimmy has spoken to him since.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

That book cost Mick Wall his friendship with Jimmy Page, who felt he shared things that were off the record. I don't think Jimmy has spoken to him since.

Is the book any good Steve? 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Uncut Ultimate Music Guide yesterday...very disappointed. Same pics and even the reviews looked very much familiar. And again that stupid mix up with dates of the 69 and 70 RAH shows. Somehow these magazine editors just copy and paste their stuff over and over again...including mistakes.

In the section of the singles they didn't even bother to mention the RSD 7" release of Friends/Rock'nRoll😡

ive given up on these magazine specials. I have lots of them and kept on with them each time hoping for a new piece of interesting information but it seems the well of new info dried up long ago

13 hours ago, duckman said:

I bought the Uncut Ultimate Music Guide yesterday...very disappointed. Same pics and even the reviews looked very much familiar. And again that stupid mix up with dates of the 69 and 70 RAH shows. Somehow these magazine editors just copy and paste their stuff over and over again...including mistakes.

In the section of the singles they didn't even bother to mention the RSD 7" release of Friends/Rock'nRoll😡

Wow. That’s too bad. Was hoping these new magazines would have 50th Anniversary content to celebrate Led Zeppelin in style (and a fresh take).

R😎

On 8/15/2018 at 6:24 AM, duckman said:

Having just finished it, they captioned what looked like a late 1970 US show as Royal Albert Hall 1970. I thought the historical reviews were interesting, you can see the NME snark creep in as early as 1976. The Chris Welch interview with Bonzo was good, and what a shame he never gave more interviews in that context, calmed down, away from touring and talking about drums and the band.

Archived