Can we stop with Elvis being “King” of Rock and Roll

TheMadIrishman

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Elvis was not a crooner. 

I'm talking about his voice. He had a crooner's voice and you can't convince me otherwise, I don't care what genre he played. Even Ricky Nelson had a more rock and roll voice than Elvis. But I won't deny the man's talent or influence.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm talking about his voice. He had a crooner's voice and you can't convince me otherwise, I don't care what genre he played. Even Ricky Nelson had a more rock and roll voice than Elvis. But I won't deny the man's talent or influence.

Crooning to me is a technique and a style, not a voice. He was very capable of crooning but I wouldn't say it was his dominant style. Whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crooners

I had the pleasure of visiting Graceland.  

There is an entire wing of Estate that just holds his Gold records, floor to ceiling, wall to wall Gold records from every corner of the world.  

Yes, Chuck Berry, yes, Little Richard, not denying their contribution.  Hell Jerry Lee Lewis could wipe the floor with the lot of them.

but Elvis was a global superstar & cultural icon.  

Plus nobody ever rocked black leather like he did in 68.  So much attitude.  

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

In other words, what DipMan is saying is Elvis merely exercised his white privilege. In so doing he committed micro aggressions against Chuck Berry and other black artists who were just so downright fucking sensational and original in their own right. If that were so it remains a mystery why a white hillbilly from Mississippi who didn't compose, seldom wrote, got by on his looks and his stage moves could come along and completely overshadow them until this very day. Oh wait, DipMan says Elvis was merely propped up by white establishment figures.  

:hysterical:

Holy Shit Steve, that was hilarious. I believe your response says considerably more about you and your own issues. Talk about projection !!!

Your reply was akin to someone saying they prefer chocolate cupcakes to vanilla and then popping off on some "white privilege, the libertard is persecuting the downtrodden white man" nonsense.

Yes Steve, I am in fact quite entertained. Please....MORE :hysterical:

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

:hysterical:

Holy Shit Steve, that was hilarious. I believe your response says considerably more about you and your own issues. Talk about projection !!!

Your reply was akin to someone saying they prefer chocolate cupcakes to vanilla and then popping off on some "white privilege, the libertard is persecuting the downtrodden white man" nonsense.

Yes Steve, I am in fact quite entertained. Please....MORE :hysterical:

I'm just doing my show. ☺️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyHoXl_5QOw&t=48s 

I love Elvis' music, especially the stuff he did later in his career, as in the 10 years before he died.  Listen to 'The Memphis Record'.  It's technically a compilation album as it is really a couple of albums put together.  But for fans now it kind of functions as a cohesive album and many who do not know better probably regard it as such.  In any case, that album represents Elvis at his very best.

Is Elvis the King of Rock?  I just take it for what it is, a harmless, inconsequential, somewhat silly moniker.

The idea of Rock having a King is anathema to the spirit of Rock, if you ask me.  And yes, there are 50 other Rock artists who could and should be seen at this level.

One of my all time favorite Elvis quotes is this:  "basically, I want to be known as a country singer".  He was also a fantastic Gospel singer.

King of Rock?  Who cares...

19 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I merely took DipMan's own assertions and dealt them back to him, prompting you both to call it projection. In so doing, THAT is real projection. 

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with what IpMan said.

58 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Taking what he said to suggest I'm projection in a nutshell would seem to be agreement to most rational people. Anyway, it doesn't matter. This has now become Stephen Hawking conversing with a spam bot.

gibsonfan159>spam bot

12 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Taking what he said to suggest I'm projection in a nutshell would seem to be agreement to most rational people. Anyway, it doesn't matter. This has now become Stephen Hawking conversing with a spam bot.

gibsonfan159>spam bot

You don't happen to own a beet farm, do you?

8 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

No, it's not IpMan, it's now DipMan. Steve is such a witty fellow, a regular sorcerer of sarcasm, the Longfellow of laughs, or more appropriately, the Balzac of Bullshit.

The King.....The King of Pop.....The Queen of Soul....The King of Swing....World's Greatest rock and roll band....all subjective.

However Jimmy, Robert, and John & John, met Elvis, "The King".  If they think so, I can play along.

I had the pleasure of visiting Graceland.  

There is an entire wing of Estate that just holds his Gold records, floor to ceiling, wall to wall Gold records from every corner of the world.  

Yes, Chuck Berry, yes, Little Richard, not denying their contribution.  Hell Jerry Lee Lewis could wipe the floor with the lot of them.

but Elvis was a global superstar & cultural icon.  

Plus nobody ever rocked black leather like he did in 68.  So much attitude.  

Me too.  I was most impressed by the wing dedicated to all of the various local charities that Elvis donated to, especially St Jude's hospital.  He was a local boy from one of the poorest sections of the country, and he never forgot his roots.  For that reason, he'll always be "The King" in their eyes.

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

No, it's not IpMan, it's now DipMan. Steve is such a witty fellow, a regular sorcerer of sarcasm, the Longfellow of laughs, or more appropriately, the Balzac of Bullshit.

Don't Hate, Appreciate...

:elvis2:

The King of all Forums

37 minutes ago, chef free said:

Chuck Berry and Little Richard defined the genre of "Rock and Roll". But Elvis introduced white '50's teenagers to black music.  For that alone, he wears the crown...

Agreed. I'll add Chubby Checker's 'The Twist' is oft cited as the first single that brought whites and blacks together on dance floors.

1 hour ago, chef free said:

Chuck Berry and Little Richard defined the genre of "Rock and Roll". But Elvis introduced white '50's teenagers to black music.  For that alone, he wears the crown...

Perhaps.  I think he's the King because he sold more records and made more money than anyone else doing an amalgam of "Black" music ( blues, rhythm and blues) , Gospel, and Country . Musically speaking he is no King, but as a phenomenon I suppose he is. Who gave him that title anyway?? A critic, or a white record label exec or producer, or the Colonel himself? I respect Elvis, and recognize his place in the pantheon of American music, and I like a lot of his music.  He undeniably is iconic for bringing blues, rhythm and blues, gospel and country into a mainstream arena , but the whole King thing is more white appropriation of black artistry . Paul Whiteman was "The King of Jazz" when Duke Ellington and Fletcher Henderson we're swinging his ass into bad health ...so , the whole coronation process by the purse holders is a joke . Elvis was cool, but give me Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard any day. No contest . Musical Kings vs Commercial Kings?? 

On 4/27/2018 at 2:59 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page explained that the song developed from a spontaneous jam session, whilst the band were trying (and failing) to finish the track "Four Sticks", at the Headley Grange mansion they had rented in Hampshire, England to record the track. John Bonham began by playing the drum introduction from the Little Richard song "Keep A-Knockin'" to which Page added a Chuck Berry-style guitar riff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_(Led_Zeppelin_song)#Overview

Yeah, only what Bonzo played on the recording is NOT the same as the intro to Keep A Knockin', it's kind of a mash up of the guitar break ( not the intro ) from Johnny B Goode (the rhythm for the first two bars) and sort of Earl Palmer's drum intro on Keep A Knockin' for the last two bars. So it's neither Keep A Knockin or Johnny B Goode entirely...but it's inspired by both. 

On 4/27/2018 at 2:41 AM, SteveAJones said:

Chuck Berry is a Founding Father of Rock 'n' Roll, but Elvis Presley is The King. It's not even close by any measure of merit.

Very curious to hear even two or three of these measures.

2 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Elvis was cool, but give me Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard any day. No contest . Musical Kings vs Commercial Kings?? 

Those three were Musical Kings but not Elvis Presley?! Riiiiight.

Archived