If ABBA can come back and release brand new songs, maybe Zeppelin can too.

Just heard the news the other day that ABBA is going to release some new music later this year, and that they may do other work together too.  They are not releasing 'new mixes' or remixes, or anything like that.  They have recorded totally new, original songs.

So, how shocking would it be if Led Zeppelin did this too?

There is no Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin, in it's corporeal form, died in 1980. It's spirit lives on in us all. 

If the surviving members got together to record new stuff, and in a million years I can't see it happening, the only thing I could conceive they'd do is acoustic material and maybe acoustic/electric fusion, to opine on your question more directly. So, very shocking, to me.

Alternatively, perhaps they could finish unfinished material. That I would absolutely love. Absolutely love!

Well, I hope my original post is accepted as a bit tongue in cheek.  But its fact that ABBA are releasing brand new songs.

That said,  IF Page, Plant, and John Paul Jones got together and made an album - whatever it was - would you accept that they are Led Zeppelin?

1 hour ago, irondirigible said:

Well, I hope my original post is accepted as a bit tongue in cheek.  But its fact that ABBA are releasing brand new songs.

That said,  IF Page, Plant, and John Paul Jones got together and made an album - whatever it was - would you accept that they are Led Zeppelin?

No. It would be a collaborative album from three guys who used to be in the same band. John Henry Bonham was one equal part Zep. Without him, you have 3/4. That is not Led Zeppelin. It cannot be re-created. The O2 was a nice one off gig, Jason on drums was a brilliant touch. but no, Zep is (sadly) gonesky.

Having said that, I'd love to see what the three legends could do together. Even if it meant with one or two others as well (extra lead/rhythm guitarist, extra keyboard/multi instrumentalist to expand a live sound, and who would drum? Porgie maybe?)

ABBA as previously mentioned still have all four original members with us and from what I can gather the new material, which is two to three new songs at best is interesting but not a full reboot.

Where Led Zeppeling are for me at least No Bonzo: No Zep.

I completely get what people say about how it would not be the same band or the same magic.  It wouldn't be.

But with the three of them around, you have 75% of the band.  Most bands that have been around a long time have seen at least some line up changes, some a huge number of line up changes.  So the standards there of what constitutes "remaining the same band" are much lower than what we are talking about here.  

But I do get it.  LZ could never - in essence - be the same again.  But I am happy to hear them perform once a decade and I have no problem with them being called LZ for those shows.

I suppose if it it's only Page, Plant and Jones then it's Led Zeppelin. Same as Friends, Going to California, Hats Off, Battle of Evermore...so if it's truly just those three, sure. If they bring in another drummer, no. 

Time for JPJ to learn a new instrument:

Ah, the old Theseus Paradox but to the extreme. As mentioned above most long lasting bands have personnel changes, some even only retaining a single original member yet they are still considered the same band. However, I am in the camp which believes Zeppelin as a group were a very unique combo of elements. I believe it was Robert who said four people or elements coming together which in affect created a fifth element. As a result, with Bonham gone that can never be recreated so the whole concept of Zeppelin ended late September 1980.

If the three ever decided to record new material I would suggest calling it something else.

19 hours ago, irondirigible said:

Just heard the news the other day that ABBA is going to release some new music later this year, and that they may do other work together too.  They are not releasing 'new mixes' or remixes, or anything like that.  They have recorded totally new, original songs.

It would be a lot more shocking than ABBA doing it.

Not an expert on ABBA and their workings at all, but Led Zeppelin were very much a closed shop. The 4 of them made the music happen.. I couldn't name the Drummer for ABBA if you paid me.. unless I looked it up.   

Robert Plant will never do it.. Not a doubt in my mind. John Bonham was more than a friend and bandmate to him. 

Robert has said countless times how John and his wife Pat helped him and his Family get through the darkest period of their lives. Constantly there for them.   

Plant recently described Led Zeppelin's 50 years as "38 Years of darkness for a Family".  

He's not going to budge on this. He's moved on.  I think Jimmy and John Paul have accepted it as well..

On 4/29/2018 at 3:58 PM, irondirigible said:

Wow. Strongly disagree. Abba can do it because their music is simple and dumb.

Did Led Zeppelin played the o2 in 2007 ?

cos JP, RP, JPJ, JB seemed to have confirmed that’s what happened. 

You could say it was as tribute to their former themselves as well as Ahmet I suppose. 

But if RP gave the green light tomorrow for led zeppelin activity live or recorded  of any description then......

we would either accept it as legit or not but it has no bearing on what’s possible 

2 hours ago, JAP said:

Did Led Zeppelin played the o2 in 2007 ?

cos JP, RP, JPJ, JB seemed to have confirmed that’s what happened. 

You could say it was as tribute to their former themselves as well as Ahmet I suppose. 

But if RP gave the green light tomorrow for led zeppelin activity live or recorded  of any description then......

we would either accept it as legit or not but it has no bearing on what’s possible 

But he won’t give the green light. The 02 was it. Tribute to Ahmet. It made up for Live Aid and The Atlantic 40th. A thank you to us fans perhaps.  But that’s all folks. 

8 hours ago, the chase said:

It would be a lot more shocking than ABBA doing it.

Not an expert on ABBA and their workings at all, but Led Zeppelin were very much a closed shop. The 4 of them made the music happen.. I couldn't name the Drummer for ABBA if you paid me.. unless I looked it up.   

Robert Plant will never do it.. Not a doubt in my mind. John Bonham was more than a friend and bandmate to him. 

Robert has said countless times how John and his wife Pat helped him and his Family get through the darkest period of their lives. Constantly there for them.   

Plant recently described Led Zeppelin's 50 years as "38 Years of darkness for a Family".  

He's not going to budge on this. He's moved on.  I think Jimmy and John Paul have accepted it as well..

Yeah, I read that article.  Very sad reminder of things.  

Fuck it!
I'd would welcome any collaboration between the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin including Jason Bonham
I could give a shit what the "band" would call itself.

I would relish an attempt at studio time between these four to see if anything of merit emerges.
No defined expectations, think not of monetary profit if possible, and limit lawyers as possible....

Just delving among inspiring locales (if needed) and  situating in a compatible studio.
See where it leads.

(name the album, "jabe")

Well, it would be interesting if that happened.  Who wouldn't be curious?  These are massive talents we're talking about.

My guess is that it would not sounds like LZ,  but rather something else.  The problem with great old bands coming back is that if their new work is not superb, it serves only to hearken back to their daves of greatness, which leaves one sad and wistful.  Now, if a new LZ reunion in a studio did produce truly great music - well then, that would be awesome.

Im not sure RP has moved on .

His own words suggest he can’t get past JBs death and other sad events when it comes to LZ.  He draws a link between the two 

Archived