If ABBA can come back and release brand new songs, maybe Zeppelin can too.

16 hours ago, JAP said:

Im not sure RP has moved on .

His own words suggest he can’t get past JBs death and other sad events when it comes to LZ.  He draws a link between the two 

I agree 100%. 

I meant he moved on musically. 

On 4/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, jabe said:

Fuck it!
I'd would welcome any collaboration between the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin including Jason Bonham
I could give a shit what the "band" would call itself.

I would relish an attempt at studio time between these four to see if anything of merit emerges.
No defined expectations, think not of monetary profit if possible, and limit lawyers as possible....

Just delving among inspiring locales (if needed) and  situating in a compatible studio.
See where it leads.

(name the album, "jabe")

:you_rock:THIS...thank you (well, except maybe the name of the album!)!

1 hour ago, Stryder1978 said:

:you_rock:THIS...thank you (well, except maybe the name of the album!)!

The album could be called "No Cure Is Known", which would be fitting, as there is no remedy, nor should there be, for the cleansing of Led Zeppelin from one's system.
I would expect like results from a new project regardless of what the band called themselves.
No Cure Is Known.

Their album would be a bit of a different animal for sure, but it would have the 2 main creative forces of the band, as well as its original basis and the son of the drummer.  Pretty hard not to call that Led Zeppelin.  Such an album would arguably be more of a Led Zeppelin original album than CODA was, since CODA is basically a compilation of out takes and left overs.

Purists might scoff at such an album, but if it were done of their accord, it would be very interesting. 

Zeppelin's legacy is so great that no amount of bad or inauthentic music released now could possibility take anything away from it.  To suggest that their legacy could be tarnished is downgrade their level of greatness.

Coda, despite its limitations and later added overdubs, was a Led Zeppelin album. How could a new recorded album with 3 ex members and the son of another, thirty eight years later, be more of a Led Zeppelin "original" album than Coda, even if it was only left overs and out takes?

There is another reason why I would find Led Zeppelin recording brand new material uneasy. If new work exists then the record company would in this day and age want them to do the media trail.  Cast your mind back a couple of years to the trial and how the media (comedians, commentators and music journalists) really stuck the boot in. No Peter Grant to protect them and a rabid media with an agenda stemming from decades ago. They have tried so hard to make their legacy about the music. A couple of dodgy interviews and press conferences could set that back years.  

2 hours ago, anniemouse said:

There is another reason why I would find Led Zeppelin recording brand new material uneasy. If new work exists then the record company would in this day and age want them to do the media trail.  Cast your mind back a couple of years to the trial and how the media (comedians, commentators and music journalists) really stuck the boot in. No Peter Grant to protect them and a rabid media with an agenda stemming from decades ago. They have tried so hard to make their legacy about the music. A couple of dodgy interviews and press conferences could set that back years.  

Yes, this is true.  But maybe they could just do a select grouping of interviews.  A couple of late night talk shows, 60 Minutes, some BBC shows and then that's it.

Or, they could do none at all, as infuriating as that would be to some in the media.  But there are some unusual things that do happen in the music world.  Some artists have released 'surprise albums' with no media hype or build up.  Wouldn't that just be lovely.  Out of absolutely nowhere -- you're listening to the radio and they sudden announce that a brand new Led Zeppelin song is about to play!  Or its reported on CNN that Led Zeppelin did a surprise short show in a dingy little pub somewhere in England.

Of course we're in fantasy land here, as this is a very unlikely thing to happen.  And its not even the desire of any of the the surviving members, making it even more unlikely. But there is no harm in fantasizing. 

• 5 weeks later...

I wish the three of them (JP, JPJ, and Jason B ) would ask plant to finish some unfinished songs like Lala, 10 ribs, St Tristam's Sword Midnight Moonlight, and others, with a few new songs, to make up one last album. When he says no then get another singer (GVH singer?) and JUST DO IT. Yes it would STILL be Zeppelin for me. I wonder if on an AC/DC forum everyone considers every song after Bon Scott to be "not AC/DC"? I know Uriah Heep fans are fans until the end, and the rabid AC/DC fans still consider them to be AC/DC, and the Eagles fans don't have trouble with post Joe Walsh, and a lot of Van Halen fans think VH is BETTER after their original singer left. It just seems to be Zep fans that are against it and I just don't understand why. Was Jason THAT BAD at O2? Of course not. He wasn't his Dad but he never said he was and no one expected him to be and he was still great and they made fantastic music! Im over it. There will never be John Bonham drumming again. Plant will never do Zeppelin again. Okay. Find someone qualified who will.  JP, JPJ, Jason and whoever could finish out the Zeppelin half finished songs. (My hunch is....once plant sees it moving forward without him, his ego in not having a say in Zeppelin would cause him to actually sign on).

Well, let's see what would happen if Robert failed to sell 1000+ tickets in a bunch of those 2000 or whatever capacity theaters he tends to play at. Some thoughts about Zep's legacy: it took a good 10-15 yrs or more after Zep's end, but particularly from 77 on live, quite a few even moderate Zep fans noticed the band deteriorating , yet has that really struck the band down ?? I've put

on some actually decent 77' boots at parties, and 75% of the time by NFBM, heavy complaints start coming in. Not advocating

a reunion, but what the band did studio and live up to about 77' or so, was so unique and magical I'm not sure if anything could

wipe that out. Think about Floyd, after the WALL , so much astounding music had been created that their greatness was carved

in stone, later feeble releases almost didn't matter. But the ABBA situation has little in common with new Zep songs. But also

trying to get the remaining Zep's together, could be as tricky as trying to reboot an old love interest, emotion rules.

the decision to record two new songs got abba in the news for a day. but when the tunes are actually released, expect a bit more in the press then there'll be poor sales and the whole thing will fizzle out, like these things generally tend to do. the Beatles tried it, Stones had Jagger adding new vocals to 40 year old unreleased tracks and it was shite,

leave it, Zeppelin ended 38 years ago. just ponder that for a moment 38 years ago. I expect there's quite a few people on this forum who may not even have been born when the band ended. Page lost his mojo decades ago, Plant continues but in a modified style as he cant do what he used to way back. despite what some people seem to think Jason Bonham is not Bonzo reincarnated, so that leaves JPJ as probably the most active and still capable of doing it

I have no interest in new songs, or completing unfinished old music, and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I don't thinks there are too many fans who still play the new songs from Unledded, or the WIC album which were 20 and 25 years ago (?) and yet all this time later its thought they should still or even could, make new relevant valued material

its the daftest thing ive heard for ages

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, irondirigible said:

Just heard the news the other day that ABBA is going to release some new music later this year, and that they may do other work together too.  They are not releasing 'new mixes' or remixes, or anything like that.  They have recorded totally new, original songs.

So, how shocking would it be if Led Zeppelin did this too?

Who is ABBA, don't you mean ABBA "are" to release new music..

12 hours ago, jsj said:

the decision to record two new songs got abba in the news for a day. but when the tunes are actually released, expect a bit more in the press then there'll be poor sales and the whole thing will fizzle out, like these things generally tend to do. the Beatles tried it, Stones had Jagger adding new vocals to 40 year old unreleased tracks and it was shite,

leave it, Zeppelin ended 38 years ago. just ponder that for a moment 38 years ago. I expect there's quite a few people on this forum who may not even have been born when the band ended. Page lost his mojo decades ago, Plant continues but in a modified style as he cant do what he used to way back. despite what some people seem to think Jason Bonham is not Bonzo reincarnated, so that leaves JPJ as probably the most active and still capable of doing it

I have no interest in new songs, or completing unfinished old music, and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I don't thinks there are too many fans who still play the new songs from Unledded, or the WIC album which were 20 and 25 years ago (?) and yet all this time later its thought they should still or even could, make new relevant valued material

its the daftest thing ive heard for ages

summed up nicely. If the tracks were 95% complete and just required the odd overlay, maybe.... But nup. It's over.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:26 PM, jsj said:

Coda, despite its limitations and later added overdubs, was a Led Zeppelin album. How could a new recorded album with 3 ex members and the son of another, thirty eight years later, be more of a Led Zeppelin "original" album than Coda, even if it was only left overs and out takes?

Right on jsj. What I don't get is the inconsistency of the CODA naysayers. On the one hand they say "CODA isn't really an album because its nothing but songs leftover from other albums" then they will go on to say "Houses of the Holy (the song) is awesome" even tho on PG its a "leftover" from HOTH album! There are several other examples of songs written for albums that were not used on that album, only to appear on later ones.  Of course these are regarded as "official" LZ songs. Then of course there is Hey Hey what Can I do, which isn't on ANY studio album, and also Traveling Riverside Blues. So...Wearing and Tearing, Darlene, Walters Walk, Poor Tom.....I LOVE all of those, all are on CODA, it IS a Led Zeppelin Album, and it is a GREAT album! Their best? No, but still a GREAT album.

8 hours ago, dandak said:

Right on jsj. What I don't get is the inconsistency of the CODA naysayers. On the one hand they say "CODA isn't really an album because its nothing but songs leftover from other albums" then they will go on to say "Houses of the Holy (the song) is awesome" even tho on PG its a "leftover" from HOTH album! There are several other examples of songs written for albums that were not used on that album, only to appear on later ones.  Of course these are regarded as "official" LZ songs. Then of course there is Hey Hey what Can I do, which isn't on ANY studio album, and also Traveling Riverside Blues. So...Wearing and Tearing, Darlene, Walters Walk, Poor Tom.....I LOVE all of those, all are on CODA, it IS a Led Zeppelin Album, and it is a GREAT album! Their best? No, but still a GREAT album.

Yes it is technically a Zep album, but people are referring to that fact that it was a contractual obligation and is full of odds and sods from the band's lifespan.
If it wasn't for that obligation, the band would have never released it.
If CODA hadn't been released, the unused Sweden tracks may well have surfaced on one of the box sets, a record store release or on the ITTOD companion disc.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, JAP said:

I was under the impression that Led Zeppelin played at the o2 arena in 2007. I mean I’m sure all three plus the other one confirmed that was the case ? 

it was a one off as far as Robert Plant was concerned.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Zeppered said:

The ship has sailed, it's over. Best to just rejoice in what we have.

:elvis2:

tQLaKIh.jpg

Nice early pressing there, evidenced by the grey strip along the bottom edge of the LP sleeve.

I generally have a Led Zeppelin dream once a week or so...definitely no more than a month goes by without me dreaming about Led Zeppelin.

Most of these are your standard "Led Zeppelin playing a gig" dream and I'm either playing with them or part of the crew or the audience. Some are too weird and personal to share with the public.

But the other night I had one I had never had before. In this dream, Robert, Jimmy, and JPJ teamed up with David Gilmour and Nick Mason...Pink Zeppelin.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

I generally have a Led Zeppelin dream once a week or so...definitely no more than a month goes by without me dreaming about Led Zeppelin.

Most of these are your standard "Led Zeppelin playing a gig" dream and I'm either playing with them or part of the crew or the audience. Some are too weird and personal to share with the public.

But the other night I had one I had never had before. In this dream, Robert, Jimmy, and JPJ teamed up with David Gilmour and Nick Mason...Pink Zeppelin.

Hmmmmmm.....sounds like it could be a nice wine 🍷

• 3 weeks later...

Archived