Had LZ's members never met, would we have heard of them all today?

14 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

Why does he owe Jimmy anything? He was just as valuable a member of making Zep a success as ALL OF THEM. 

True enough and, once he was there, Robert obviously more than earned his place on merit
and it was the cumulative chemistry of all four of them that produced the magic.
But Robert wouldn't have been in Led Zeppelin at all if not for Jimmy.
Jimmy's decision to hire Robert was a crucial gamechanger - if Jimmy had gone with someone else, pretty much Robert's entire life would've been different.
I'm not saying he should phone the bloke every day and thank him, but that's a pretty fundamental thing, I reckon.

Robert is a great singer no doubt but IMO without the u ion with Page he would have ended up like many other talented singers..... working construction

I just don't see a path to start them for that talented individual any other way

On 5/9/2018 at 3:43 PM, tenyearsgone21 said:

Why does he owe Jimmy anything? He was just as valuable a member of making Zep a success as ALL OF THEM. His talent would not have gone unnoticed if Jimmy hadn't gone to see him. 

Um......, his talent HAD gone unnoticed until Jimmy got a hold of him. In at least one of the many books and articles  Ive read about Zep over the years plant was talking about being on a road construction crew and wondering if her should give up on his singing career since he just couldn't seem to make it.  Fortunately he didnt, but the FACT is we had a struggling singer that due to Jimmy Page got the lead role in the greatest group in rock and roll. Its called gratitude, if someone helped me achieve my goal in life I certainly would keep it in mind.

15 minutes ago, dandak said:

Um......, his talent HAD gone unnoticed until Jimmy got a hold of him. In at least one of the many books and articles  Ive read about Zep over the years plant was talking about being on a road construction crew and wondering if her should give up on his singing career since he just couldn't seem to make it.  Fortunately he didnt, but the FACT is we had a struggling singer that due to Jimmy Page got the lead role in the greatest group in rock and roll. Its called gratitude, if someone helped me achieve my goal in life I certainly would keep it in mind.

I know he was working hard to get more exposure and all, and the great fortune was having Jimmy see him and bring him into the mix. My point was more that he doesn't OWE Jimmy anything. Jimmy didn't "make" him. Robert had a huge amount of natural talent and that blended and worked amazing with Jimmy and of course John Paul and Bonzo. He has been very kind in his words to Jimmy over the years, particularly in the early days when Jimmy was more active with his own solo career. I can't say I've ever heard Jimmy say anything about Robert's music, regardless, Robert has shown gratitude for being a part of Zep, but that ended in 1980 and he made a choice to leave the memories and the music there and carry forward. 

On 5/9/2018 at 3:54 AM, dandak said:

he CERTAINLY owes Jimmy a thing or two. In my mind (its sometimes a strange place😎) plant would have been nothing without Jimmy.

Does he? Do you owe the first person who employed you your career? If there is a debt how do you know Robert hasn’t paid it? When does he stop owing Jimmy? What does Jimmy owe Robert? Who knows but them. Would they have been as successful with Terry Reid or just another Humble Pie? Who knows?

Robert may have been nothing without Jimmy but Jimmy could have just been “That last guitarist in the yardbirds who never did anything after”.  Purely judging by their post Led Zeppelin output it seems Jimmy needs Robert more than Robert needs Jimmy.

Of course Jimmy’s solo album and tour are happening next year and that might change everything .

On 5/12/2018 at 3:02 AM, babysquid said:

Does he? Do you owe the first person who employed you your career? If there is a debt how do you know Robert hasn’t paid it? When does he stop owing Jimmy? What does Jimmy owe Robert? Who knows but them. Would they have been as successful with Terry Reid or just another Humble Pie? Who knows?

Robert may have been nothing without Jimmy but Jimmy could have just been “That last guitarist in the yardbirds who never did anything after”.  Purely judging by their post Led Zeppelin output it seems Jimmy needs Robert more than Robert needs Jimmy.

Of course Jimmy’s solo album and tour are happening next year and that might change everything .

"Do I owe the first person that employed me"?

Yes, a little. I am always grateful.

But what you didnt ask...."When I was near the end of my dream and ready to give up then someone noticed me and as a result turned me into a multimillionaire and one of the most famous rockers in history and allowed me to realize my dream, would I feel like I owed THAT person? Especially when after all is said and done that person (Jimmy) seemed to be lost in the post Zeppelin breakup".

Yeah, I like to think I would encourage him and when I (plant) held the key to maybe a freaking reunion or cutting a few songs or even just finishing unfinished songs (like LALA or 10 Ribs and All) with the result is that it helps out my buddy. I mean come on, its going on 40 freaking years. Thank goodness for 02. Did that kill him? Even ABBA is getting back together for a few songs. He (plant) is just SO AFRAID of being typecast into the Led Zeppelin thing that he just shuts it out. I've got news for him....he could find the cure for cancer, Alzheimers, AIDS,  and male baldness, yet he would STILL be firstly known and introduced as "the singer for Led Zeppelin". He needs to come to grips with it. This space shifters nonsense and raising sand and other junk is just noise. 100 years from now no one will ever hear of that, but Zep is timeless. One day it will be too late, if not too late already, he may wind up regretting his distancing from LZ.

I do believe Jimmy, JPJ, and Bonham would have been a supergroup with any of several others singers. Plant fit in perfectly of course and the 4 formed the greatest group, but I do believe even with another vocalist we would still be talking on this forum.

Can I ask a hypothetical question. If Mr Bonham had lived and Zep breaking up at some point (whenever that would have been)  would he have been open or not open to any reunion talk.  

Edited by anniemouse

All good things must come to an end. If John Bonham had lived (and no one else died), they would eventually have broken up officially or just drifted apart. It's the nature of the creative beast. I think part of the mystique is their lack of permanence. Obviously, the Rolling Stones and the Who won't be with us forever, but it sure feels that way! If something is always around / available, you take it for granted.

• 11 months later...

Led Zeppelin, as Master Page, explained was a fifth element.  Yes, they are/were all very talented and pursuing musical careers, however, with three existing members still in the business have not reached the heights that Led Zeppelin did.

I say THANK YOU, THANK YOU Master Page for your vision and the fabulous music, not to overlook the yummy eye candy you also provided.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, dandak said:

he could find the cure for cancer, Alzheimers, AIDS,  and male baldness, yet he would STILL be firstly known and introduced as "the singer for Led Zeppelin". He needs to come to grips with it. This space shifters nonsense and raising sand and other junk is just noise. 100 years from now no one will ever hear of that, but Zep is timeless. One day it will be too late, if not too late already, he may wind up regretting his distancing from LZ.

Not necessarily.  I know folk who like Plant's late solo career and especially the Raising Sand project, but don't particularly care for Zeppelin's music. And back in 93 I knew folk who liked Plant's singles I Believe and 29 Palms and the Fate of Nations album but didn't particularly care for Zeppelin.

he will obviously be known for starting off with zeppelin for sure but that doesn't mean people don't dig his solo career for what it is regardless of what he did before it

On 4/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Mis Nomer said:

Led Zeppelin, as Master Page, explained was a fifth element.  Yes, they are/were all very talented and pursuing musical careers, however, with three existing members still in the business have not reached the heights that Led Zeppelin did.

I say THANK YOU, THANK YOU Master Page for your vision and the fabulous music, not to overlook the yummy eye candy you also provided.

Yes, precisely... the "fifth member" of Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin - the chemistry or aura or unexplained element that came from those four people and their creativity TOGETHER. Any one of them in another band might not have tapped into that energy. The band is bigger than just the sum of its parts