Once Upon A Time....Led Zeppelin In Hagen, Germany

Autumn Moon

Just stumbled across this letter for publication in the May edition of MOJO. I have no camera at hand, so I type this letter.

***For Years I have been reading about the "Scandinavian Tour" of Led Zeppelin booked as The New Yardbirds to fulfil contractual obligations. Jimmy Page also refers to it in Shape Of Things To Come (Mojo 289). However, I saw The New Yardbirds in a club called Piccadilly (previously Pferdestall) in Hagen, Germany, so the tour definitely stretched a bit further. I did not like what I heard, as I was a thorough Yardbirds fan & I was there to groove to I`m A Man, Shapes Of Things, Over Under Sideways Down etc., but I got heavy blues rock instead. My then-girlfriend, now wife, bought Led Zep`s first album soon afterwards- we still have it. I guess there were further german appearances, as a one-off in the provinces does not seem reasonable or economical to me, however Germany is on the place to cross if you are travelling north. Does anybody remember any more german dates? Hans-Jürgen Klitsch, Schortens***

It`s a pity that he has given us no specific date, but who is able to remember specific details of a small club concert after 50 years, anyway. To my ears his story sounds authentic, and he seems to have chosen the right wife......

Archived