Jump to content

Nitpicking Page 1977


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/22/2020 at 12:18 AM, Nutrocker said:

June 22 is a killer show no matter how you slice it. Song for song, it arguably is a better performance than the 21st. The goddamn bootleg is one designed for "bootleg ears",  but if you got the forgiving ears it is a rewarding listen. Bonham is kicking ass and taking names on the night, that's for fuckin' sure!

June 22 is the one L.A. '77 show where I want the fucking soundboard.

Shit, that's right, my bad😅

Well to be fair to you, I thought we were just talking about possible "Black Dog" performances in the missing 7 shows of the 1977 tour. I mean, we have tape of 1977 MSG and Oakland, so that was never an issue for debate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I think it's better than the much ballyhooed first night in Cleveland.  

For sure. I wouldn't recommend 4/27 to anyone. I think it's only popular because it was so widely available in the early boot days. Maybe Strider can attest to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

For sure. I wouldn't recommend 4/27 to anyone. I think it's only popular because it was so widely available in the early boot days. Maybe Strider can attest to that.

I think so too.  It's to 1977 what 3/4 is to 1975.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

For sure. I wouldn't recommend 4/27 to anyone. I think it's only popular because it was so widely available in the early boot days. Maybe Strider can attest to that.

 

6 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I think so too.  It's to 1977 what 3/4 is to 1975.

Absolutely. People forget what a desert it was for soundboard tapes for many years.

Fortunately, I have bootleg ears and can enjoy bootlegs of varying quality made by audience tapes. But there are some audiophiles out there who refuse to taint their sainted ears with anything less than a soundboard.

For those people, the 4.27.77 Cleveland soundboard was the only board available from the 1977 tour for ages. It wasn't until the June 11, 1977 MSG fragment became available...late '80s?...and around the same time the first VHS copies of July 17, 1977 Seattle Kingdome started popping up. Technically, that was a videotrack and not a true soundboard.

Then, another long wait until the next soundboard from 1977 arrived...the dismal May 26, 1977 Landover, MD. show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

For sure. I wouldn't recommend 4/27 to anyone. I think it's only popular because it was so widely available in the early boot days. Maybe Strider can attest to that.

The only part of that concert I listen to is the acoustic set.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 5/28/1977 Landover (Powhatan Confederacy- EVSD)

capcentre_77__0.jpg.7d5925eb1f70761893ffb60f3e74f785.jpgZeppelin2_May-28-1977_Bruce_Remer_0.jpg.efa7814a789931ca5342595b78b913c9.jpg

 

Using the the EVSD soundboard for this one. It's muffled one minute and harsh the next, so I suggest using an equalizer to balance the sound to your own liking.  

TSRTS- A good start and Plant sounds alright. First solo- A little loose, but not bad. Outro solo- Again some stickiness, but he holds it together. A very solid "B+".

Sick Again- 0:22, hang up. 0:46, slight flub. Very sluggish intro. First solo- Page's fingers loosen up and he gets some very nimble runs in for an excellent solo. Outro solo- A decent series of short, speedy licks. Not bad. The sloppy intro hurts this a lot, but everything is solid. "B+".

NFBM- Good beginning. Harmonica- Plant gets some decent phrases down. Oh Jimmy- Some bad articulation at 5:12, but otherwise a well played, passionate solo. Plant's vocal delivery was good and the rhythm section was tight. I'd call this a lower tier "A".

IMTOD- Played a litter faster than normal (assuming this boot runs correctly) and a very heavy guitar tone. First solo- Energetic and phrased fairly well. Second solo- Also energetic, played fairly well, and accented nicely by Bonham's explosiveness in the background. This thing really starts to groove toward the end. A very solid version. "A+".

SIBLY- A good intro with one sloppy bit at 1:18. The guitar is cutting through on the mix now. Solo- Played loosely but passionately with no real flubs. 6:40-6:42, Jones and Jimmy get some notes crossed and make carnival music. A solid ending. "B+".

No Quarter- Solid intro. Nitpicking Jones- He gets some solid piano noodling down, but the whole thing honestly sounds like a warm-up routine. The boogie jam comes in and for once Page gets on board with some solid phrases that actually match the rhythm. Well done, though it ends a bit awkwardly. Jones hops into a short but well played soul motif before launching the solo. Solo- 12:59, where'd that come from? A nice 73-ish run. The rest is a little loose, but phrased well and played with vigor. 17:15-17:29 is an excellent stretch. Definitely a better Page here than most other versions. Jones brings it back around nicely and the last quarter is solid. This one seems to lack some energy, but I imagine the audience source sounds much livelier. I usually criticize Page mercilessly on this song in 77, but I was pleasantly surprised here. A solid version with no real flubs, though Jones could've done more. I'd love to hear Jones' playing from 5/26 spliced into this version.  "A". (At 24:16 Jones makes a quip, but I can't make out what he says. Anyone know?)

Ten Years Gone- 0:31, slight flub. First solo (2:48)- Perfection! Second solo (4:54)- Another one played flawlessly. 6:01, Page ends on the wrong note, but it matches Plant and almost sounds intentional. Third solo (6:23)- Phrasing was off a little, but not bad at all. Fourth solo (7:15)- Delay effect sounds perfect as Page plays another flawless four bars. The outro solo is good with excellent accents by Bonzo. Despite a couple flubbed notes, Page was solid as a rock on this. Plant sounded a little subdued on the first half but not bad overall. I'm calling this an "A" even with the small errors.

Acoustic Set: BOE- Superb sound with all instruments and vocals coming through nicely. Very energetic version. GTC- 0:48, Plant comes in early. Played a little too loosely and Plant sounds unsure of himself. BCW- Short and sweet. BYAS- Intro is a little sloppy. A switch to an audience source halfway through. The breakdown sounds decent, but it's heavy on the staccato strumming. WS/BMS- Fairly solid, loose in places and lacking some energy. "B" acoustic set, though Evermore was quite nice.

Kashmir- Another solid performance of this track. The later half comes alive and is much more energetic with Plant belting out some nice lines. "A".

Achilles Last Stand- Solid beginning. First solo (3:35)- A little off track at 3:43. 3:55, nice run. Some slight straining and looseness, but not bad. 5:20, Page a little sloppy on this part. Second solo (6:42)- Passionate and played fairly well. Third solo (8:10)- Played well. Sounds harsh on the soundboard, but probably great on an audience version. Page's phaser comes in heavy on the outro. The energy was there for this one, but Page wasn't as solid as usual. Hope he didn't indulge during the break. "B+".

Stairway To Heaven- Page is hitting some slight accidental notes on the intro and at 0:44 he gets crossed up a bit. The pace is very relaxed but not lazy. The first half is solid and Jones plays some excellent phrases on the Rhodes. Solo- 6:10-7:33 is nothing short of stunning, with Page playing a steady flow of articulate notes with exceptional phrasing for 77. Unfortunately, it goes downhill. 7:52 starts a superb legato style phrase, but he fudges the tail end badly. 8:17 is a blazing run. 8:41, bad chording, but he gets it the next time around. The final four are played decently with Page playing the last one on a lower octave (broken string?). The climax hits pretty hard and the song winds down nicely. I really despise these "too good to be true" versions where there is ample potential for something monumental but a few silly flubs put a brown stain on it. The rhythm was excellent, Plant was good, and Page nailed 95% of it. But there's that damned 5% where he tripped up. "B+".

WLL- 0:11, Page and Jones get out of sync. 

Rock And Roll- Jones' bass is twanging like a 12 ft rubber band. Why not bring out the Fender Jazz at least for this one? Solo- Some unorthodox licks and fairly good solo. An adequate encore. "B+".

Final Assessment- I'll admit I was rather surprised by this one, which makes me glad I've taken the time to do these reviews. Even though I may piss a few readers off with my over analyzing, at least I'm finding some hidden gems for myself that I've overlooked. I'd always gone with the 5/30 show for Maryland and never gave this one a chance, but it isn't half bad once Page gets warmed up. And it looks like Page broke out the black dragon suit for this one. Highlights are IMTOD, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, and The Battle Of Evermore. And these highlights are some of the best I've heard from 1977. Stairway is a heart breaker though, with a failed attempt at perfection. 

I’m convinced the soundboard runs just a fraction too slow. In addition to the slow tempos mentioned above, when you cut the recording up at each point there’s a cassette flip, they almost all run past where the side of a 90 minute tape would have already ran out (over 47 minutes). I recently remastered this concert as I too love it despite it’s flaws (my favorite Kashmir of 1977 for how long the outro section goes on), and I did some very slight speed correction on the soundboard before EQ, reverb, etc were applied and the cuts were filled with AUD(M)>DAT(2)>FLAC version of the audience tape. I’m very happy with how it’s turned out! I’d really like to get feedback on it if that’s okay.
 

 

Edited by NegativeCrepe
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Nitpicking Page 7/23/1977 Oakland, CA (Alpha And Omega- Magic Bus)

1116788222_download(3).jpg.a9fa3d1b2ded0ded1a08b2cbb6cf2d4a.jpghqdefault.jpg.c636d9647da7e4e4bf52aaf6cbc452b2.jpg1881402802_download(2).jpg.2dd89ecd28d3ba41bbb9ddfa7ad1e2aa.jpg

A decent, slightly muddy audience source of the second from last show the band would ever play in the U.S.- a show also marred by backstage antics that sent some of the Zep entourage to jail for a day.

TSRTS- Sounds like a solid energetic start. 1:36, some terrible chording by Page, otherwise decent verses. First solo- starts ok, but Page sounds out of time on the riffing at 2:51. Second solo- a little loose but not terrible. A fairly decent, energetic start. "B+".

Sick Again- Loose intro with some off notes. Verses sound decent as the tempo remains energetic. First solo- good phrasing and fluidity. Outro solo- a little sloppier here but not terrible. Aside from the intro flub it's a fairly solid version. "B+".

NFBM- Decent start. Plant's harmonica solo is one of the better ones I've heard. Guitar solo- starts ok but Page struggles to keep up around 5:17. 6:11, Plant cracking a little. A little too loose around the edges, but not terrible. "B". (Plant mentions that Page is once again loosing his trousers, a frequent occurrence in 77)

OTHAFA- Loose intro, almost rushed. The verses blast off with good energy. Solo- excellent bends to start it off and Page follows his usual routine of phrasing. 3:40-3:53, nice phrasing. 4:09-4:31, bit of a hang up as Jimmy loses his flow. 4:32, some turkey gobbling as his articulation gets sticky. He exits back to the main riff in good fashion and plays the outro phrase excruciatingly slow. Not too bad for 1977. Almost a B+ but the hang ups keep it at a "B".

SIBLY- Very sleepy intro though the phrasing is good. Plant is simply phoning in the lyrics, using his voice almost solely as an instrument instead of telling a story. Solo- 4:56-5:04, some loose phrasing. 5:17, very sticky ending. 7:24, Plant rambling/mumbling like he's talking to someone offstage. Nothing blatantly terrible about this one, but the overall mood and integrity is completely absent. "B".

No Quarter- Solid start. 2:32, lyric mixup. 5:37, source change. Jones- piano routine is well phrased but a little simplistic. 9:04, the boogie jam almost takes off but Page disappears and Jones continues. 11:17, Page enters for the pre solo jam. Solo- terribly sloppy off the bat but he pulls it together. The playing is basic at best. 13:51, a little sloppy. 14:05, what Page is doing here is anyone's guess. 14:35, forcing some strange chord phrases. 15:00, fall back phrase played sloppy. 15:58, Bonham doubles the tempo as Page makes dying whale sounds.  16:22, Jim gets back on track here for some solid bends. 17:24, all over the place with some experimental riffing. The return is decent but Jim's outro jam is lacking. 21:48, a nice scream from Plant. Not much to brag about here. "B".

TYG- Excellent intro. First solo- 3:50, yikes. Jim forgets where he's at but they get it going shortly. 4:25, off sounding bends. 4:37, sticky. Not good. Second solo- decent. 5:36, Jones out of key. Third solo- a little more appropriate. Fourth solo- sticky to start but followed by some good phrases. Jim's outro noodling sounds ok. Not quite on the Tempe Achilles level of trainwrecks, but very close considering Jones is also flubbing. "C+".

BOE- Firecrackers to kick off the verses. Plant and Jones are sounding pretty good. "B+".

GTC- Solid enough. "A".

BCW- Short and sweet as usual. BYAS- Good intro. 3:19, first breakdown sounds good. Second breakdown- Page riffs some nice country folk licks, then extends the jam out in good fashion. Good finish for a stand out version. "A+".

Trampled Underfoot- Excellent start. Jones' solo is good but doesn't sound too unique. Solo- Page starts off on the lower register and it's hard to make out any articulation through the muddy sound. 3:35 sure sounds sloppy. 3:44, some nice bends. Not one of his better ones. A pretty basic run through. "B+".

WS/BMS- Short intro. 2:00, a little sticky. At the 4:55 mark and I've heard no other flaws or flubs as Page is nimble-fingered. 6:02, just a little sticky here. BMS kicks off well. 7:43, sticky. Overall surprisingly good, but just sticky enough to keep it at a "B+".

Kashmir- Verses sounding very good and the tempo is perfect. The first bridge section played perfectly as Robert sounds flawless. Second bridge/outro sounds fantastic though Page's Arabic noodling can't be heard. It usually takes more aggressive drum work to push this higher, but this is a very solid "A".

Noise Solo- Bow section only.

ALS- Intro is played lazily but the verses sound good. First solo (3:27)- not bad. Second solo (6:20)- hard to make out but sounds a little erratic. Third solo (7:43)- Page misses the start of this one but gets on track for some forced sounding phrases. Page sloppy on the outro. Just not a professional sounding performance overall, with Bonham's energy overwhelming everyone else. "B".

Stairway- Jones coming through loud and clear. Verses sound great as everyone plays flawlessly. Solo- textbook start. Page keeps a steady, slightly erratic flow going throughout. 6:57-7:11, some fluid phrases. 8:18, awkward sounding riff. The final measures are played nicely, ending an overall good solo with a balance of articulation and phrasing. Plant strains a little on the climax. A solid run through for late 77 but nothing mind blowing. "A".

WLL- Too short to judge.

Rock And Roll- Plant slurring lyrics on the start. Solo- sloppier than usual start as Jim tries to catch up to the tempo. Not perfect but not bad. "B+".

Black Dog- Good energy and fairly good verses. Solo- a tough listen but it's definitely passion over articulation. That being said, the articulation isn't terrible and the energy is off the chart. Better than most 75 versions. "A".

Final Assessment- A very loose show (as a lot of daytime Zep shows tend to be). Plant sounds good, Page is just ok, and Bonham is a little laid back. There are some good spots though. BYAS, Kashmir, Stairway, and Black Dog are played well. The Ten Years Gone flub really gives this show a bad image.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 7/23/1977 Oakland, CA (Alpha And Omega- Magic Bus)

1116788222_download(3).jpg.a9fa3d1b2ded0ded1a08b2cbb6cf2d4a.jpghqdefault.jpg.c636d9647da7e4e4bf52aaf6cbc452b2.jpg1881402802_download(2).jpg.2dd89ecd28d3ba41bbb9ddfa7ad1e2aa.jpg

A decent, slightly muddy audience source of the second from last show the band would ever play in the U.S.- a show also marred by backstage antics that sent some of the Zep entourage to jail for a day.

TSRTS- Sounds like a solid energetic start. 1:36, some terrible chording by Page, otherwise decent verses. First solo- starts ok, but Page sounds out of time on the riffing at 2:51. Second solo- a little loose but not terrible. A fairly decent, energetic start. "B+".

Sick Again- Loose intro with some off notes. Verses sound decent as the tempo remains energetic. First solo- good phrasing and fluidity. Outro solo- a little sloppier here but not terrible. Aside from the intro flub it's a fairly solid version. "B+".

NFBM- Decent start. Plant's harmonica solo is one of the better ones I've heard. Guitar solo- starts ok but Page struggles to keep up around 5:17. 6:11, Plant cracking a little. A little too loose around the edges, but not terrible. "B". (Plant mentions that Page is once again loosing his trousers, a frequent occurrence in 77)

OTHAFA- Loose intro, almost rushed. The verses blast off with good energy. Solo- excellent bends to start it off and Page follows his usual routine of phrasing. 3:40-3:53, nice phrasing. 4:09-4:31, bit of a hang up as Jimmy loses his flow. 4:32, some turkey gobbling as his articulation gets sticky. He exits back to the main riff in good fashion and plays the outro phrase excruciatingly slow. Not too bad for 1977. Almost a B+ but the hang ups keep it at a "B".

SIBLY- Very sleepy intro though the phrasing is good. Plant is simply phoning in the lyrics, using his voice almost solely as an instrument instead of telling a story. Solo- 4:56-5:04, some loose phrasing. 5:17, very sticky ending. 7:24, Plant rambling/mumbling like he's talking to someone offstage. Nothing blatantly terrible about this one, but the overall mood and integrity is completely absent. "B".

No Quarter- Solid start. 2:32, lyric mixup. 5:37, source change. Jones- piano routine is well phrased but a little simplistic. 9:04, the boogie jam almost takes off but Page disappears and Jones continues. 11:17, Page enters for the pre solo jam. Solo- terribly sloppy off the bat but he pulls it together. The playing is basic at best. 13:51, a little sloppy. 14:05, what Page is doing here is anyone's guess. 14:35, forcing some strange chord phrases. 15:00, fall back phrase played sloppy. 15:58, Bonham doubles the tempo as Page makes dying whale sounds.  16:22, Jim gets back on track here for some solid bends. 17:24, all over the place with some experimental riffing. The return is decent but Jim's outro jam is lacking. 21:48, a nice scream from Plant. Not much to brag about here. "B".

TYG- Excellent intro. First solo- 3:50, yikes. Jim forgets where he's at but they get it going shortly. 4:25, off sounding bends. 4:37, sticky. Not good. Second solo- decent. 5:36, Jones out of key. Third solo- a little more appropriate. Fourth solo- sticky to start but followed by some good phrases. Jim's outro noodling sounds ok. Not quite on the Tempe Achilles level of trainwrecks, but very close considering Jones is also flubbing. "C+".

BOE- Firecrackers to kick off the verses. Plant and Jones are sounding pretty good. "B+".

GTC- Solid enough. "A".

BCW- Short and sweet as usual. BYAS- Good intro. 3:19, first breakdown sounds good. Second breakdown- Page riffs some nice country folk licks, then extends the jam out in good fashion. Good finish for a stand out version. "A+".

Trampled Underfoot- Excellent start. Jones' solo is good but doesn't sound too unique. Solo- Page starts off on the lower register and it's hard to make out any articulation through the muddy sound. 3:35 sure sounds sloppy. 3:44, some nice bends. Not one of his better ones. A pretty basic run through. "B+".

WS/BMS- Short intro. 2:00, a little sticky. At the 4:55 mark and I've heard no other flaws or flubs as Page is nimble-fingered. 6:02, just a little sticky here. BMS kicks off well. 7:43, sticky. Overall surprisingly good, but just sticky enough to keep it at a "B+".

Kashmir- Verses sounding very good and the tempo is perfect. The first bridge section played perfectly as Robert sounds flawless. Second bridge/outro sounds fantastic though Page's Arabic noodling can't be heard. It usually takes more aggressive drum work to push this higher, but this is a very solid "A".

Noise Solo- Bow section only.

ALS- Intro is played lazily but the verses sound good. First solo (3:27)- not bad. Second solo (6:20)- hard to make out but sounds a little erratic. Third solo (7:43)- Page misses the start of this one but gets on track for some forced sounding phrases. Page sloppy on the outro. Just not a professional sounding performance overall, with Bonham's energy overwhelming everyone else. "B".

Stairway- Jones coming through loud and clear. Verses sound great as everyone plays flawlessly. Solo- textbook start. Page keeps a steady, slightly erratic flow going throughout. 6:57-7:11, some fluid phrases. 8:18, awkward sounding riff. The final measures are played nicely, ending an overall good solo with a balance of articulation and phrasing. Plant strains a little on the climax. A solid run through for late 77 but nothing mind blowing. "A".

WLL- Too short to judge.

Rock And Roll- Plant slurring lyrics on the start. Solo- sloppier than usual start as Jim tries to catch up to the tempo. Not perfect but not bad. "B+".

Black Dog- Good energy and fairly good verses. Solo- a tough listen but it's definitely passion over articulation. That being said, the articulation isn't terrible and the energy is off the chart. Better than most 75 versions. "A".

Final Assessment- A very loose show (as a lot of daytime Zep shows tend to be). Plant sounds good, Page is just ok, and Bonham is a little laid back. There are some good spots though. BYAS, Kashmir, Stairway, and Black Dog are played well. The Ten Years Gone flub really gives this show a bad image.

Hope you do the 24th next as I always thought it was a pretty good show, much better than the 23rd IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nitpicking Page 7/24/1977 Oakland, CA (Alpha And Omega-Magic Bus)

1564517117_images(2).jpg.a9cb2f9a49eda5c294199653d9155cdd.jpgimages.jpg.8a35b5a2b6a8d3ddc1cc121b4e61ac1a.jpghqdefault.jpg.af2d10aa58dbf8682cce0dfa58576a8d.jpg

The last show the band would play in the U.S. Another decent audience source.

TSRTS- Seemingly good start. Everything is fine until...First solo- an absolute slopfest. I don't think Jim actually hits one note with any amount of articulation. And not to be out done, Robert's return has him yodeling some screechy vocals. Outro solo- More of the same. Bonham and Jones sounded good though. Barely a "B".

Sick Again- 0:18, some hesitation before Jim comes in and The Rover licks are sticky. Sounding good once they get going. First solo- Page doesn't exactly hit the opening notes correctly. 2:45, sticky. 2:54-2:58, fingers stuck in strings. Outro solo- the usual phrases. 5:42, getting sticky. Plant sounded a little better at least. "B".

NFBM- Intro sounds just a little low effort. Solid verses. Rob's harmonica solo isn't bad but pales to the one from the day before. Guitar solo- Page very low in the mix but gets some nifty licks in that are seemingly fluid and energetic. Overall a decent performance but there's a noticeable lack of "oomph" about it. "B+".

OTHAFA- Intro played well. Good verses. Solo- some good fluidity and phrasing off the bat. Bonham is mixing it up as well. 3:03, very slight hangup. Overall a fairly solid solo. Outro is a little loose but not enough to mark points off. "A". 

SIBLY- Intro is phrased well but played a little more relaxed than usual. 0:45-0:50, sticky. 1:04, sounds like a very short tape cut. Plant's vocals have a little more narrative to them this time. Solo- a speedy, slightly sticky run to start. 4:54-5:00, sticky. Not the best. Bonham gets lively on the second half but the others don't quite match the energy. A sticky solo keeps this at a generous "B+".

No Quarter- Sound quality now superb. Excellent, thunderous start with everyone sounding top notch. Jones- The Rhodes transition is straightforward but he makes up for it on the piano section with some intricate playing. 6:17, a flamenco sounding phrase. 7:45, picks up the tempo. Jones puts down a piano showcase for roughly five minutes. 10:25, straight into the pre solo jam. Solo- intro notes are sticky but he takes off soon after. 11:29, a little sloppy. 12:08, a speedy run that borders on sloppy. 12:50, again with these forced riffs. Just no real flow on this as Jim's playing is extremely choppy and overly experimental. 14:06, finally a good run. 14:14, Jones getting experimental with some off key chords. 14:42, Bonham doubles the beat as Page gets his fingers tangled up. Jones brings it back down to a professional level and returns to the verses. Page does get some decent wah licks in toward the end. If you can look beyond the sticky guitar phrasing, this is an entertaining "A" version. If you can't, it's a "B". Either way, it's not a good showing from Page. (Plant mentions the mystery dancer who came onstage).

Ten Years Gone- Good intro. First solo- Page almost flubs the intro phrase but hangs on. A little loose but played fairly well. 4:53, wrong bass note by Jones. 5:13, Page plays a little early. Second solo- I don't think he was ready as he hesitates to start it off. 5:55, some decent speedy phrases. Third solo- not bad, but rough on the edges. The bends sound a little forced. Bonzo's drums sound tremendous through here. Fourth solo- 8:40, overdoes it a bit and causes a feedback loop with the delay. Outro solo- 9:30, Jones bass synth gets a boost. Too many flaws on this one. "B".

BOE- No flaws that I can hear but there's a certain something missing on this one. "A".

GTC- A lengthy introduction by Plant. Instruments are low in the mix but sounds like an excellent version overall. "A".

Mystery Train- Played loosely, not as good as the 6/19 version. (1:01, sounds like someone near the taper says "My least favorite guitar")

BCW- solid. BYAS- 2:24, a little sticky on the intro. First breakdown- very straightforward. 4:56, Page drops out for an unknown reason. Second breakdown- a little loose but not bad at all. Some technical problems drop this to a "B".

TUF- 1:21, extend snare roll out of nowhere. Verses sound good. Jones- not showing off but sounds ok. Solo- 3:22, sticky. Hard to make out but sounds like the usual screeching wah licks. 4:21, getting dangerously loose. An entertaining one for sure, but realistically a "B+".

WS/BMS- Page taking time to find a flow for the intro. 1:11, just a bit sticky. The up tempo sounds good with nimble playing. And up tempo it is, flying along. 4:52, the slow section played fairly well. 5:25, a little sticky here. 7:04, sloppy part. If ignoring the couple sticky parts, this is an easy "A" for 1977. Technically I'd go "B+".

Kashmir- 1:10, bad chords by Jimbo. 5:45, Plant straining a little. Overall not bad but the tempo drags badly. "B+".

Achilles- Solid intro. 1:12, bad note by Page. 1:58, Page chokes a note. 2:14, Plant yodel. Bonham and Jones sounding fantastic. First solo- some off sounding bends but nothing terrible. Certainly not his best playing here. 5:41, bad chording by Page. Second solo- not bad, not great. A mixup at 6:40 as Page drops out for a few seconds. 7:10, Page barely hanging on. Third solo- some sloppy screeches. Bonham, Jones, and even Plant sound amazing on this one. Page was obviously having troubles, and he keeps this at a "B".

Stairway- First half sounds good. Solo- 6:03, slight flub. 6:40-6:44, very sloppy. 7:42, sloppy mess. 8:11, Jones misses the chords. 8:33, Jones says screw it and does some unique riffs. 9:00, poorly played released bend. 9:09, final notes are flubbed. Whoo boy, talk about light and day before and after the solo starts. "B"...would honestly be inaccurate considering the near trainwreck solo. "C+".

WLL (Partial)- Good enough but Plant cracks on the final scream.

Rock And Roll- 0:32, guitar is sounding a little strange. 1:08, ah yes, it's horribly out of tune. Not just a string or two, but it sounds like the neck snapped off. Solo- let's keep moving. I swear Bonzo is playing the open high hat extra loud in an attempt to crowd out the guitar. And out of nowhere comes a rare "C" to end the show.

Final Assessment- I tricked myself into believing that after a solid OTHAFA and decent SIBLY that there'd be more to look forward to. There really wasn't. 

I think Bonham has stood out more in these two shows than anyone. He had a playful vibrance and drive that the others (Page especially) just couldn't match. Both Achilles performances had the rhythmic groundwork to be some of the most standout performances, but Page just wasn't focused enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2020 at 11:50 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 7/24/1977 Oakland, CA (Alpha And Omega-Magic Bus)

1564517117_images(2).jpg.a9cb2f9a49eda5c294199653d9155cdd.jpgimages.jpg.8a35b5a2b6a8d3ddc1cc121b4e61ac1a.jpghqdefault.jpg.af2d10aa58dbf8682cce0dfa58576a8d.jpg

The last show the band would play in the U.S. Another decent audience source.

TSRTS- Seemingly good start. Everything is fine until...First solo- an absolute slopfest. I don't think Jim actually hits one note with any amount of articulation. And not to be out done, Robert's return has him yodeling some screechy vocals. Outro solo- More of the same. Bonham and Jones sounded good though. Barely a "B".

Sick Again- 0:18, some hesitation before Jim comes in and The Rover licks are sticky. Sounding good once they get going. First solo- Page doesn't exactly hit the opening notes correctly. 2:45, sticky. 2:54-2:58, fingers stuck in strings. Outro solo- the usual phrases. 5:42, getting sticky. Plant sounded a little better at least. "B".

NFBM- Intro sounds just a little low effort. Solid verses. Rob's harmonica solo isn't bad but pales to the one from the day before. Guitar solo- Page very low in the mix but gets some nifty licks in that are seemingly fluid and energetic. Overall a decent performance but there's a noticeable lack of "oomph" about it. "B+".

OTHAFA- Intro played well. Good verses. Solo- some good fluidity and phrasing off the bat. Bonham is mixing it up as well. 3:03, very slight hangup. Overall a fairly solid solo. Outro is a little loose but not enough to mark points off. "A". 

SIBLY- Intro is phrased well but played a little more relaxed than usual. 0:45-0:50, sticky. 1:04, sounds like a very short tape cut. Plant's vocals have a little more narrative to them this time. Solo- a speedy, slightly sticky run to start. 4:54-5:00, sticky. Not the best. Bonham gets lively on the second half but the others don't quite match the energy. A sticky solo keeps this at a generous "B+".

No Quarter- Sound quality now superb. Excellent, thunderous start with everyone sounding top notch. Jones- The Rhodes transition is straightforward but he makes up for it on the piano section with some intricate playing. 6:17, a flamenco sounding phrase. 7:45, picks up the tempo. Jones puts down a piano showcase for roughly five minutes. 10:25, straight into the pre solo jam. Solo- intro notes are sticky but he takes off soon after. 11:29, a little sloppy. 12:08, a speedy run that borders on sloppy. 12:50, again with these forced riffs. Just no real flow on this as Jim's playing is extremely choppy and overly experimental. 14:06, finally a good run. 14:14, Jones getting experimental with some off key chords. 14:42, Bonham doubles the beat as Page gets his fingers tangled up. Jones brings it back down to a professional level and returns to the verses. Page does get some decent wah licks in toward the end. If you can look beyond the sticky guitar phrasing, this is an entertaining "A" version. If you can't, it's a "B". Either way, it's not a good showing from Page. (Plant mentions the mystery dancer who came onstage).

Ten Years Gone- Good intro. First solo- Page almost flubs the intro phrase but hangs on. A little loose but played fairly well. 4:53, wrong bass note by Jones. 5:13, Page plays a little early. Second solo- I don't think he was ready as he hesitates to start it off. 5:55, some decent speedy phrases. Third solo- not bad, but rough on the edges. The bends sound a little forced. Bonzo's drums sound tremendous through here. Fourth solo- 8:40, overdoes it a bit and causes a feedback loop with the delay. Outro solo- 9:30, Jones bass synth gets a boost. Too many flaws on this one. "B".

BOE- No flaws that I can hear but there's a certain something missing on this one. "A".

GTC- A lengthy introduction by Plant. Instruments are low in the mix but sounds like an excellent version overall. "A".

Mystery Train- Played loosely, not as good as the 6/19 version. (1:01, sounds like someone near the taper says "My least favorite guitar")

BCW- solid. BYAS- 2:24, a little sticky on the intro. First breakdown- very straightforward. 4:56, Page drops out for an unknown reason. Second breakdown- a little loose but not bad at all. Some technical problems drop this to a "B".

TUF- 1:21, extend snare roll out of nowhere. Verses sound good. Jones- not showing off but sounds ok. Solo- 3:22, sticky. Hard to make out but sounds like the usual screeching wah licks. 4:21, getting dangerously loose. An entertaining one for sure, but realistically a "B+".

WS/BMS- Page taking time to find a flow for the intro. 1:11, just a bit sticky. The up tempo sounds good with nimble playing. And up tempo it is, flying along. 4:52, the slow section played fairly well. 5:25, a little sticky here. 7:04, sloppy part. If ignoring the couple sticky parts, this is an easy "A" for 1977. Technically I'd go "B+".

Kashmir- 1:10, bad chords by Jimbo. 5:45, Plant straining a little. Overall not bad but the tempo drags badly. "B+".

Achilles- Solid intro. 1:12, bad note by Page. 1:58, Page chokes a note. 2:14, Plant yodel. Bonham and Jones sounding fantastic. First solo- some off sounding bends but nothing terrible. Certainly not his best playing here. 5:41, bad chording by Page. Second solo- not bad, not great. A mixup at 6:40 as Page drops out for a few seconds. 7:10, Page barely hanging on. Third solo- some sloppy screeches. Bonham, Jones, and even Plant sound amazing on this one. Page was obviously having troubles, and he keeps this at a "B".

Stairway- First half sounds good. Solo- 6:03, slight flub. 6:40-6:44, very sloppy. 7:42, sloppy mess. 8:11, Jones misses the chords. 8:33, Jones says screw it and does some unique riffs. 9:00, poorly played released bend. 9:09, final notes are flubbed. Whoo boy, talk about light and day before and after the solo starts. "B"...would honestly be inaccurate considering the near trainwreck solo. "C+".

WLL (Partial)- Good enough but Plant cracks on the final scream.

Rock And Roll- 0:32, guitar is sounding a little strange. 1:08, ah yes, it's horribly out of tune. Not just a string or two, but it sounds like the neck snapped off. Solo- let's keep moving. I swear Bonzo is playing the open high hat extra loud in an attempt to crowd out the guitar. And out of nowhere comes a rare "C" to end the show.

Final Assessment- I tricked myself into believing that after a solid OTHAFA and decent SIBLY that there'd be more to look forward to. There really wasn't. 

I think Bonham has stood out more in these two shows than anyone. He had a playful vibrance and drive that the others (Page especially) just couldn't match. Both Achilles performances had the rhythmic groundwork to be some of the most standout performances, but Page just wasn't focused enough.

IMO the 77 tour ended just like it started with average/mediocre performances, the band didn't start to really warm up until the final Chicago show from that show on they kept improving. 

A show that'd be neat for you to nitpick next imo would be the Cincinnati show on 4/20/77 its an above average to good show in my opinion even if it's missing the acoustic set and most of SIBLY but the quality is actually pretty good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw 7/24/77, very weak performance was my opinion at the time.  Not helped any by the band's very late arrival and the crowd's ugliness. Bad scene all around, now we know why...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Kashmir- Guitar up in the mix. Plant still sounding great. Very solid throughout, with Plant giving his all on the outro. "A".

In re to this 6/7 review it appears I missed a giant flub near the end of the song in which a giant drum fill from Bonham throws everyone off track for a few measures. Changed to a "C+".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi gibsonfan159.

A request! Now that we have the source merge and upgrade of New York, June 8th 1977 on Led Zeppelin Boots' YouTube channel, would you be willing to do a review of the show? He's done a superb job and it now sounds as good as the other nights. Performance-wise, it might be even as consistently enjoyable as the 13th. I'd love to know what you think. 

Oh, and thank you for introducing the term 'turkey gobbling' into my guitar playing vocabulary. It never fails to produce an involuntary hearty guffaw from my personage!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this, but in this version of LTTE I found on Youtube, claiming to be WR, there is a perfect cut in Ten Years Gone to make up for the gap from the tape switch. You can listen to it here:


I have been unable to find a source for this edit other than an old Genuine Masters release. Does anyone know if this concert has ever been mastered in higher fidelity with a similar cut? No fills from inferior sources, no fading out and fading in. Just a straight cut with the drum fill to keep the beat like this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, Michael Fry said:

Hi gibsonfan159.

A request! Now that we have the source merge and upgrade of New York, June 8th 1977 on Led Zeppelin Boots' YouTube channel, would you be willing to do a review of the show? He's done a superb job and it now sounds as good as the other nights. Performance-wise, it might be even as consistently enjoyable as the 13th. I'd love to know what you think. 

Oh, and thank you for introducing the term 'turkey gobbling' into my guitar playing vocabulary. It never fails to produce an involuntary hearty guffaw from my personage!

That one is on the list!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Nitpicking Page 6/8/1977 MSG, NY (DADGAD Remaster)

878861840_image0(1).jpg.f3c12b6e4875fd6b8c6eaf36900c06de.jpg2063998836_image0(2).jpg.ae3ce6788074ab816e244d9d45ef03c7.jpgled-zeppelin-lz001bg.png.d034c7c746f172ec77f2f66fe677ba02.png

Some new sources, revisions, and remasters have popped up for this one so I decided to give it a go. Page is buried behind everyone else in the recordings so it's a little tough to judge his playing for a few numbers, but it clears up later.

TSRTS- Good tempo and energy to start. Robert sounding pretty decent. First solo- very hard to make out but sounds pretty on point. Bonham playing with some extra oomph for this. Outro solo- 5:40, Page's articulation isn't quite clear here but Bonham's seems to be good. Robert sounding a little rough on the "Sliding. sliding" part. Sounds good overall with Bonham giving a hint toward 6/21, "A".

Sick Again- 0:17, some looseness on the intro. First solo- 2:43, sloppy. Nothing extraordinary. Outro solo- honestly pretty bad for 1977. "B".

NFBM- Plant straining some and sounding raspy. Solid verses. Harmonica- good. Solo- first half is decent, second gets a little sloppy. Bonham again accenting Jim on the solo. Not too bad, but not great. "B+".

IMTOD- Aggressive sounding faster tempo with Jones' low note rattling the walls. 4:10, poor Plant. First solo- hard to judge, but some parts sound a little sloppy. Second solo- more of the same with extremely erratic playing. A nice groove up until the You Shook Me nod and finish. The solos have to be judged pretty heavily for this and they didn't impress, but I'll stay at a "B+".

SIBLY- Intro sounds well played and phrased. Plant's opening note done quite well and he rips through the verses with a decent amount of conviction. 4:02, a nice wind down before launching the solo. Solo- Page shows patience and focuses on some elegant phrasing. He skimps on the final notes but still a solid solo. Jones and Bonham come alive more on the second half. The most impressive number so far. "A".

No Quarter- 3:00, Bonham wailing away on the snare. Jones- starts with a gloomy Phantom Of The Opera style and transitions to the silent film score section, all done masterfully as Bonham adds some cannon blasts. 8:18, soul boogie sounding good. Bonham and Jones just need a choir to jump in on the jam, but Jim will have to do. Jim gets his usual screechy blues bends in. Jones returns for more excellent phrasing but launching the solo. Solo- Smooth start but he's not exactly showing off tonight. 15:27, short tape cut. 15:31, a decent sounding speedy run. 16:09-16:22, just lazy phrasing here that's repeated for some reason. Bonham's energy is carrying this solo more than anything as Jim seems to be in an over-relaxed trance. 17:44, almost comes alive but it quickly dies down again. 18:35, not sounding good. Jones and Bonham are locked in an epic groove throughout while Jim imitates a dying cow on guitar. You'd be hard pressed to call this a "Guitar solo" as there's almost no runs or phrases worth pointing out, just an experimentation with noise. 21:10, epic finish by the rhythm section. The last verses are good as Bonham blasts the roof off on the ending. This song once again proves to be divisive, showing a stark professional contrast between Jones and Page- one putting down some of their best work and the other almost falling asleep. Two ratings is the only way to go, "A+" for Jones and Bonham, "C+" for Page.

TYG- Good tempo and flow on the intro. Verses sound nice. First solo- a little distant but honestly sounds flawless. Second solo- again, not bad at all. Third solo- 6:41, straining a bit. A step down from the first two. Fourth solo- impossible to make out with the delay effect. Outro- Jim gets some decent phrases in, nothing special. A fairly solid version but there's a certain atmosphere missing from it. "B+".

BOE- Robert sounding good throughout. Solid instrumentation. "A".

GTC- Nice start. 2:23, careful Rob. 1:45, mini airraid vocal. Not bad. "A".

BCW- Solid. "A".

BYAS- Page opens in an unusual manner, playing the intro very rushed. Excellent groove for the verses and Plant sounds great. Breakdown- Page loosens up and gets a good jam in. The awkward intro holds it back a bit. "B+".

WS- Intro is a little erratic. 1:20, sloppy. 1:49, some wrong notes but he pushes through nicely. Just not a good flow overall as Jim sounds a little out of practice. 5:13, nice phrasing. "B".

BMS- Much smoother and played more confidently. Still a little rough on the edges. "B+".

Kashmir- Very good tempo and groove. 3:44, Plant being playful with the vocal accents. 5:23, machine gun snare. 8:18, some sloppy playing by Jim throughout this section, but doesn't affect the feel of the song at all. Awesome version with Bonham going nuts. "A+".

Achilles- Decent intro and good tempo. 3:28, slight tape cut. First solo- 3:46, excellent fluid run. He strains badly on the second half though. 5:11, Jim slurring his chords. Second solo- loose and erratic. 7:44, Bonzo misplays the beat. Third solo- decent. 8:44, Plant straining. Not close to the best performance of this one. "B".

Stairway- A nice intro is marred by fireworks. Verses sound great with Jones' electric piano accenting nicely. Solo- Jim gets a good flow going though the articulation isn't great. 7:14, Page drops out for an unknown reason as Jones fills in nicely on piano. 7:51, the softer part features some nice noodling. 8:53, these lower register notes would probably sound more impressive if they were clearer in the recording. 9:17, a little sloppy with these chords. 9:33, a unique phrase I've not heard before. The final phrases are played well and Plant comes in sounding very rough for the climax. Of course we get some firecrackers to end it. Not bad but a few rough spots. "B+".

WLL (Partial)- Good start but Plant squeaks badly at 0:55 and Page drops out for a few seconds. 

Rock And Roll- Excellent energy and solid start. Solo- Page plays loosely but passionately, not the most articulate but it works. 3:23, Bonzo goes for another "Lonely time". "B+".


Final Assessment- Another "Page is feeling too good for his own good" show, but it's honestly more on the positive side overall. Many songs were potential "A"s but were brought down by solo mishaps. If you're the type to not focus on guitar precision then you'll find this show favorable, but within the nitpicking context it can't be ignored. Bonzo, however, is energetic and flexing throughout. He's also not perfect, playing a little looser than usual I think, missing some of the usual cues and changes. The highlights are a brutal Kashmir and a remarkable SIBLY. Also a strong acoustic section. No Quarter once again shows Jones and Page being Yin and Yang musically for the number, one impressing while the other flops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Michael Fry said:

Nice assessment of a forgotten show. Thank you. Do you have an overall favourite of the MSG shows and of the non-L.A. '77 shows?

I really liked 6/10 but I'd love to hear all of 6/14 as it has amazing potential. As far as outside of L.A., it's hard to beat 4/28 and 4/30. I think my overall personal favorite 77 boot would probably be the 5/30 Liriodendron remaster, which sounds good enough to be officially released.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...