Is there one unreleased live show that you think could be acceptable as a full live album?

There seems to be so much stuff out there.  One figures there must be possibilities for live releases.  I understand that the biggest issues are  a) sound quality, and  b) lack of completeness (breaks, missing pieces, whatever)

I still think our best hope is a sequel (of sorts) to How The West Was Won, with cherry picked cuts of two or three live shows, perhaps put together in some thematic way.

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Off the top of my head--Copenhagen (both shows), definitely some complete '77 (Houston), and maybe some more 1975 shows with No Quarter. I think my only gripe with the Zep DVD was the lack of "Quarter."

You would pick Houston as one of the '77 shows fit for official release?

14 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

You would pick Houston as one of the '77 shows fit for official release?

Yes, why not? I'm going to assume you're not big on Houston? I have seen varying opinions about that show, but all I can hear is Bonham going off the rails nearly every song (IMTOD)....

I second 24-7-79 as the best candidate for a live latter days release and 18-5-75 or 23-5-75 for the period between what we currently have and the latter period.

I would love 21-6-77 or 22-6-77 or even 30-4-77 or 13-6-77 but is the quality of the recordings good enough (excepting 21-6-77 of course which is awesome and should be released). 

12 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I second 24-7-79 as the best candidate for a live latter days release and 18-5-75 or 23-5-75 for the period between what we currently have and the latter period.

I would love 21-6-77 or 22-6-77 or even 30-4-77 or 13-6-77 but is the quality of the recordings good enough (excepting 21-6-77 of course which is awesome and should be released). 

Probably not unless the soundboards for those shows exist. I know the 77 soundboards are very flat and dry, but I think @SteveZ98's remasters of them have shown that they can be made to sound at least decent. Of course, given all the work it would entail, we have about as good of a chance of Page remastering them as him going out on tour this year! :lol:

Still, one can dream:

8 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Yes, why not? I'm going to assume you're not big on Houston? I have seen varying opinions about that show, but all I can hear is Bonham going off the rails nearly every song (IMTOD)....

Well, to be fair, I've never listened to the whole show, but I understood it's not the greatest (I know Bonham is great on it, as he always seemed to be in Texas).  I just think there are better full-band performances in '77 where Bonham is playing just as "over the top"--the following night in Ft. Worth probably being the best of the soundboards.

^^ I've listened to Fort Worth a few times--rather than go over it track-by-track, I'll just say there might be some instances where that show is better (NutRocker), but it has some flubs, as well. I would still say Houston wins--especially the acoustic set...

For me, the April 27, 1969 show seems like the best candidate. The sound on the bootleg is already good, including full stereo separation of the instruments, and the performance is excellent. When I heard they were releasing a live show as a companion disc to the remaster of the first album, this is the show I expected they would use. Maybe Jimmy didn't want to pay royalties for ALAIHY, or he thought the show was too well known from the numerous bootleg releases. Either way, I'd love to see it released officially. The other thing I want to hear are a full Earl's Court show and a full Knebworth show. It was nice to see them on the DVD, but both were a tease of what could have been. 

5 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

For me, the April 27, 1969 show seems like the best candidate. The sound on the bootleg is already good, including full stereo separation of the instruments, and the performance is excellent. When I heard they were releasing a live show as a companion disc to the remaster of the first album, this is the show I expected they would use. Maybe Jimmy didn't want to pay royalties for ALAIHY, or he thought the show was too well known from the numerous bootleg releases. Either way, I'd love to see it released officially. The other thing I want to hear are a full Earl's Court show and a full Knebworth show. It was nice to see them on the DVD, but both were a tease of what could have been. 

A full EC show from the best of the 24th/25th would be incredible. I understand the multi-track for the 23rd is incomplete due to Bonzo's kick mic not working (or not recording).  But the first 1/3rd from the 25th, the middle of the 24th (NQ, TU, D&C, STH, maybe even WLL) then the encores from the 25th.  That would make ONE KILLER FREAKING SHOW.  Out with it Jimmy!

5 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

A full EC show from the best of the 24th/25th would be incredible. I understand the multi-track for the 23rd is incomplete due to Bonzo's kick mic not working (or not recording).  But the first 1/3rd from the 25th, the middle of the 24th (NQ, TU, D&C, STH, maybe even WLL) then the encores from the 25th.  That would make ONE KILLER FREAKING SHOW.  Out with it Jimmy!

I'd take NQ from the 25th, then switch over to the 24th for TUF thru WLL as you say, then back to the 25th.  I've never understood the love for the 24th NQ.  In fact, it's one of the few '75 versions that really does nothing for me.  I say 24th for WLL just so we get the little bit of "Turn On Your Love Light" and Bonham's "football is a load of bollocks" remark beforehand 😂

Any candidate would have to exist in multitrack form - soundboards will not be released. The only two-track mixdowns that would be/have been released are things like BBC and the 1969 Paris show, which were mixed for broadcast - far different than a normal soundboard, which is mixed for the venue and therefore not as balanced or polished as a mixdown for broadcast.

To me the obvious choice is Earls Court: 2 full dates multitracked, and part of a 3rd date multitracked, very good to excellent performances, 3 nights' worth of vocals to mix and match for the best result - and among the longest sets Zep ever played, meaning Page could cut out plenty of stuff he feels is not up to snuff and would still easily have 2-1/2 hours' worth of first-rate material for a 3-CD/4-LP/Blu-Ray audio release similar to How the West Was Won.

I'm not saying they won't put out other shows too - for example Japan '71 - but it's hard for me to imagine them trying to salvage a passable Southampton release, or cobble together a full-ish setlist from Knebworth, without first releasing Earls Court.

And yes, I would be over the moon if a properly mixed two-track tape of Montreux 1970 exists in Claude Nobs' vault and if it could be officially released. That show is a killer, and aside from Japan I think it's one of the only shows on our dream/wish-list that might actually have an existing source that we haven't heard yet, and that is good enough sound quality for Page to release it.

Time will tell...

18 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I'd take NQ from the 25th, then switch over to the 24th for TUF thru WLL as you say, then back to the 25th.  I've never understood the love for the 24th NQ.  In fact, it's one of the few '75 versions that really does nothing for me.  I say 24th for WLL just so we get the little bit of "Turn On Your Love Light" and Bonham's "football is a load of bollocks" remark beforehand 😂

HA!  Absolutely!!

This is something I have thought about before, for the benefit of showing others how great Zeppelin was live which breaking out Eddie or Blueberry Hill just doesn't work with most people as heavy bass driven, overly produced is what many people tend to listen to.. Enjoying Eddie or Blueberry Hill takes a serious listen for anyone who has never heard a bootleg before.

That being said, I must 2nd Paul's suggestion of Houston '77 making for a solid release. Not saying Houston '77 is the best show ever, but between the performance and sound quality it's amongst the most enjoyable shows IMHO. 

Frankfurt 1980..? Some may find this a silly answer, but I find it a lot easier to get through Frankfurt '80 than Dallas '75.. The only moment I get bored throughout Frankfurt is during White Summer, which allows me time to roll a J before...

Montreux '70.. How is this not an official release?

A compilation of the '71 NA Tour would be possible between Hampton and Orlando.

My own compilation of Royal Albert Hall & Vancouver '70 (Heartbreaker, SIBLY, & Thank You to complete the setlist) would also work. But if Jimmy took this route he better tell us upfront that those 3 tracks are from Vancouver '70 rather than us finding out after buying it lol.

I would say keep your expectations low for the 50th anniversary live release.

Based on the previous live output we're not going to get much:

- One live release while the band were together from 1968-80

- Three live releases (including the Paris companion disc) and a couple of DVDs (one being the O2) in the 38 years since they disbanded. 

We're not going to get a musical feast, it will be another Happy Meal.

Soundboard bootlegs are really where it's at now.

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

- Three live releases (including the Paris companion disc) and a couple of DVDs (one being the O2) in the 38 years since they disbanded. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get Celebration Day Remastered for the 50th anniversary release.

9 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Not so sure about that.

Jimmy has recently said there will be all kind of LZ official releases over a period of ten years time.

And I tend to think it's true.

Why ?

Because like all of us he's not eternal, and I guess he very probably prefers to be able to oversee and control these releases while he's still alive and has the power to do so.

Sense of duty in view of Led Zeppelin's recorded body of work.     

11 hours ago, nick2632 said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get Celebration Day Remastered for the 50th anniversary release.

😂  If that happens, we're all egging Jimmy's house!!

Archived