Zeppelin's most exotic song

hummingbird69

Simple question.

Q.  If someone who had never heard Zeppelin's music came to you and asked you to play Led Zeppelin's most exotic song which would it be?   

A. Four Sticks

This song has everything and yet nothing you've ever heard before.

26 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Black Mountainside I'd say. Much of it sounds Indian or Arabic.

Its the tabla drums that give it that Indian feel.  The guitar is basically taken from Bert Jansch's arrangement of an old English folk song called Blackwaterside, released in 1966.

21 minutes ago, John M said:

Its the tabla drums that give it that Indian feel.  The guitar is basically taken from Bert Jansch's arrangement of an old English folk song called Blackwaterside, released in 1966.

It definitely is laregly due to the tablas, which I think were even played by an Indian guy on the record. 

The guitar parts sound far more exotic to me than an old English folksong, though. I guess it's how Page is interpreting it and where he's putting emphasis on certain notes that makes it sound so unusual.

Lot of contenders for me as it shows how diverse Led Zeppelin's music is.

This is a great topic.

The songs I'd consider in this of course the eastern influenced ones like Friends, Kashmir and In The Light for certain, just off the top of my head without thinking of so much diversity from many other songs. 

Some say Black Mountain Side but not a completely original composition with the Bert Jansch song but I have listened to the original and I think it is original mostly.  Just a few similarities and mostly in the beginning of the song but an instrumental and Page definitely did better with at least one instrumental!

Anyway, more with the exotic!

What to consider exotic remains to be seem!  I think it's a matter of how diverse a particular song is and the various musical influences incorporated within.  Don't know how to put this otherwise, but probably the way to do it. 

Perhaps, Battle of Evermore with a lot of diversity but not sure if it fills the exotic?

That's about it for the studio songs, but perhaps some of you may consider a song exotic or even two that I don't.  But feel I covered it as went through the albums in my mind.

exotic
ɪɡˈzɒtɪk,ɛɡˈzɒtɪk/
adjective
  1. 1. 
    originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.
    "exotic birds"
    synonyms: foreignnon-nativetropical
    alien, imported, introduced, unnaturalized
    "exotic birds"
    foreignfaraway, far off, far-flungunfamiliar;
    distantremote
    "exotic places"

So maybe the entire In Through the Out Door Lp as it was recorded in Scandinavia?

I think exotic pertains more to the music rather than the locale, where the songs were recorded.  Then again it was ABBA's studio and I wouldn't consider them to be exotic musically.  But, I am a fan of their music for certain. 

Although, there is some exotic things regarding this when Bjorn and Benny (ABBA) took Robert and Jimmy out to some unique club experiences in Stockholm when they were using their studio for recording ITTOD.  Quite unique indeed and visually and not something you'd experience in the states.  Very European, but only certain regions and not western Europe for the most part.  The former eastern Europe would make sense for this. 

I forget who recalled this story but I think it was one of the guys from ABBA a few years ago.  You can put almost put this up with things that went down in the Edgewater!

I was being facetious!

Personally I’d probably go with something along the lines of “Friends” with it’s open tuned guitar, eastern psychedelic flavored arrangement, winding string part, synth drone and just generally being one of the more off the wall offerings from anybody.

3 hours ago, babysquid said:

I was being facetious!

Personally I’d probably go with something along the lines of “Friends” with it’s open tuned guitar, eastern psychedelic flavored arrangement, winding string part, synth drone and just generally being one of the more off the wall offerings from anybody.

Friends is definitely exotic.

1 hour ago, blindwillie127 said:

If you really think about it, it has to be Kashmir. I find many Zeppelin songs/riffs to be exotic, but nothing on the level of this swirling dirge Masterpiece in any way. 

If you really think about it, I think, there are a bunch of tracks that are exotic where Rock and Roll is concerned. Take Achilles Last Stand or In The Evening.  Even Dazed has some really weird stuff going on Live. Another exotic tune,  Boogie With Stu.

Archived