What conspiracy theories do you think are real or are ridiculous?

gibsonfan159

Chem trails- Yes, "Cloud seeding" was a real thing, which more or less never proved effective. Commercial jets spraying out brainwashing chemicals? Ludicrous.

I had a coworker who constantly makes the "Fake news" quip, but then starts talking about chem trails. The amount of bullshit taking over the world is unbelievable.

Yeah, "chemtrails", the list is long: vaccines, fluoride, area 51, flat earth, Taco Bell illuminati lizard aliens...

Thank God for sites like Factcheck.org, Politifact, Snopes, etc. 

Too bad so many people are immune to facts...

2 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Believe: Jim Morrison died in 1971 while taking a bath and is buried at Père-Lachaise Cemetery, Paris, France. 

Don't Believe: Amelia Earhart was taken prisoner by the Japanese.  

Well, Ive been to Pere-Lachaise in Paris and seen Jim Morrison's gravestone and I'm sure he's below it.  But, I'm sure many out there will doubt he's actually buried there, just as some who doubt today that Elvis died in 1977 in his home at Graceland on the throne.  Elvis would be 83 now.

Most conspiracy theories are that and have no substance.  I'm sure there are some worth going into as there are doubts about the truth of some.  Just a matter of knowing which ones.  It's not about picking  certain one but reading the facts of these and whether it all adds up to truth or not.  There are certainly some out there which can be disputed and possibly denounced overall as truth.  Just the law of averages for everything, I suppose.

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Chem trails- Yes, "Cloud seeding" was a real thing, which more or less never proved effective. Commercial jets spraying out brainwashing chemicals? Ludicrous.

I had a coworker who constantly makes the "Fake news" quip, but then starts talking about chem trails. The amount of bullshit taking over the world is unbelievable.

I'm open minded and I'm not sure about them.....

I find the possibility there are artifacts on the moon and Mars intriguing. Also the very few UFO cases that remain credible and unexplained. I don't have conclusions (wow! it's real!!!/None of it is legit!!!), but I am damn sure when Astronauts encounter objects there are protocols put in place to switch to secure channels while the situation is investigated. ie, if there is the possibility of something unknown, it is hidden from the public while evaluated. I think this thinking is a relic from another age, but persists now in a more nefarious context. So there is space for actual conspiracy theories to exist given the nature of powerful Governments thinking they need to control what the population is "exposed to".

I don't think that in and of itself is a conspiracy theory, just a likely way shit is. Likely, but who knows.

Edited by rm2551

^ I agree with this. Personally, I believe the human race has been beyond our current technological state several times in the past and either we, or natural forces, destroyed those civilizations and we had to start again. I assume many of these artifacts on Mars & the Moon, if they exist, are most likely the product of a more advanced, earlier human society.

UFO's are real!  It just means Unidentified Flying Object, if you can't identify it then it's a real UFO. 

Have we been visited by "aliens"? I haven't seen any convincing evidence.  If we have, they must have figured out some different technology because the Universe is so darned LARGE.

One "Conspiracy Theory" that really bugs me is the "Faked Moon Landing".  Almost every bit of so-called evidence has been debunked, yet people continue to use "Were you there?" as "proof".

I'm getting worried that we are living in the new "post-facts" era.  This push for equality and inclusion has resulted in my hackneyed, un-researched spoutings being given equal merit compared to your, well researched, long term studies!

No one benefits from us being less informed!

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

^ I agree with this. Personally, I believe the human race has been beyond our current technological state several times in the past and either we, or natural forces, destroyed those civilizations and we had to start again. I assume many of these artifacts on Mars & the Moon, if they exist, are most likely the product of a more advanced, earlier human society.

Yes, me too. Graham Hancock has done a lot of research into this.

The pyramids,  sphinx,  gobekli tepe, easter island heads, etc etc etc worldwide are much, much older than we're told, IMHO 

5 hours ago, IpMan said:

Why the human race? Why not an extinct race? Given the lack of evidence, it would've at least had to happen in the earlier period of Earth's hospitable stage. I mean, evidence for previous technology and metal working wouldn't just disappear.

No fossil evidence for a previous race on intelligent beings on this planet, our most ancient ancestors are only 1.8 million years old.  However there is good evidence of a civilization in Egypt before the Old Kingdom.  My degree is in geology and the weathering on the limestone of the Spinx suggests that it is either older than the Old Kingdom, or that the environment was much wetter in the past.

Disbelieve the Loch Ness monster theory. There aren't enough food sources in the area for a creature allegedly that size to survive for that long.

(incidentally JP apparently believed in the existence of the Monster when he owned Boleskin. Don't know whether he ever said he saw it while he was up there...)

5 hours ago, chef free said:

No fossil evidence for a previous race on intelligent beings on this planet, our most ancient ancestors are only 1.8 million years old.  However there is good evidence of a civilization in Egypt before the Old Kingdom.  My degree is in geology and the weathering on the limestone of the Spinx suggests that it is either older than the Old Kingdom, or that the environment was much wetter in the past.

Yes it must've been built when it rained heavily there. Many times older than they tell us!