What conspiracy theories do you think are real or are ridiculous?

gibsonfan159

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:08 AM, kipper said:

late to this discussion after a long absence but here is my list:

Al Gore: full of shit, climate change is natural

Vince Foster: killed by the Clintons

Hi 'kipper'. How's It going?

I'm not trying to wittle down, so much as to sympathize with those who live in SOCAL. Be prepared to suffer by the GoreNazis.

You will be asked to turn your air off tomorrow to conserve electricity? 

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

While flipping channels between two NFL games, a MLB game, and a golf tournament, all four channels still seem to have the uncanny ability to synchronize their commercial time.  Now that's a conspiracy !

Indeed. It is uncanny.

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

While flipping channels between two NFL games, a MLB game, and a golf tournament, all four channels still seem to have the uncanny ability to synchronize their commercial time.  Now that's a conspiracy !

You got that right. Radio too, it seems.

Will forum data like this and hundreds of thousands of other forums in the future be mined and analysed? When computational power is exponentially greater than it is today, and a curiosity (either scientific or social) about this time in history abounds, will forums like these offer a window into how people once interacted drawn by a common topic and interest - and delight those who look back with an amazement and nostalgia for what it must have been like when "the old style internet forums were popular"? A window back to a different time when different things were important?

I wonder.....

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Will forum data like this and hundreds of thousands of other forums in the future be mined and analysed? When computational power is exponentially greater than it is today, and a curiosity (either scientific or social) about this time in history abounds, will forums like these offer a window into how people once interacted drawn by a common topic and interest - and delight those who look back with an amazement and nostalgia for what it must have been like when "the old style internet forums were popular"? A window back to a different time when different things were important?

I wonder.....

It likely already is and they are thinking how absolutely batshit some people are. Vince Foster, or anyone for that matter, murdered by the Clintons? That is just stupid. Why not just claim George Bush sr. was the shooter on the Grassy Knoll in 63'? At least Bush WAS in Dallas on that fateful day (even though the Company to bury the evidence) in 63' and was a CIA operative at the time. FWIW I do not believe Bush killed Kennedy and it was just a coincidence he was in Dallas on Nov 22nd, 1963. The point is, there is no evidence that the Clinton's murdered Foster but you still have these balloon-heads saying they did.

I believe there is a conspiracy made up of conspiracy theorists trying to force their conspiracies on others as a form of self-gratification. Excuse me while I find my tinfoil hat.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

I believe there is a conspiracy made up of conspiracy theorists trying to force their conspiracies on others as a form of self-gratification. Excuse me while I find my tinfoil hat.

A true testament to narcissistic dogma. There's no hard evidence to prove either way, but they're wrong and you're right.

Because there just couldn't be any secrets or unknowns behind the closed doors of the U.S. government, Disneyland, your local Burger King or.....your house, right?

Vince Foster? There are now some 30+ deaths (Mysterious? Maybe yes, maybe no) which can be linked to the Clintons. Now, without any hard evidence, here's how a rational person without an agenda speculates:

Was there motive? Maybe. In some cases, probable. Was there means? More than likely. Was there opportunity? I'm willing to bet there was. Hmmm. I don't have all the facts yet, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. I'll wait for conclusive evidence to render a judgement.

See how that works? Maybe when your done gratifying yourself, you can give it a try.

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Will forum data like this and hundreds of thousands of other forums in the future be mined and analysed?

I'm no expert on the computers, but I believe there are indeed bots called "Crawlers" that automatically scroll through threads retrieving info. Might ask Webmaster Sam about that lol.

3 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

A true testament to narcissistic dogma. There's no hard evidence to prove either way, but they're wrong and you're right.

Because there just couldn't be any secrets or unknowns behind the closed doors of the U.S. government, Disneyland, your local Burger King or.....your house, right?

Vince Foster? There are now some 30+ deaths (Mysterious? Maybe yes, maybe no) which can be linked to the Clintons. Now, without any hard evidence, here's how a rational person without an agenda speculates:

Was there motive? Maybe. In some cases, probable. Was there means? More than likely. Was there opportunity? I'm willing to bet there was. Hmmm. I don't have all the facts yet, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. I'll wait for conclusive evidence to render a judgement.

See how that works? Maybe when your done gratifying yourself, you can give it a try.

Do you have any idea how many people your average politician knows, interacts with, associates with? Case in point, John Wayne Gacy was photographed with Roslyn Carter in 1976. Does this make the Carters' accomplices in Gacy's serial murders? Was Gacy a pawn of the Carters in an attempt to get rid of potential republican voters? As I pointed out above, George Bush sr. was in Dallas the day of the Kennedy assassination,  he was there for around 36 hours as he flew in about 24 hours before and flew out a few hours after the assassination. The CIA sealed and tried to hide this info. Taking all that into account does that mean Bush was part of a CIA assassination team that killed Kennedy? Um, no, it simply means Bush was in Dallas on behalf of the CIA during the assassination and nothing else. These people (politicians, political movers) know just about everybody, that is pretty much a politicians job. Politicians are the ultimate networkers, that's how they get elected in the first place.

I know, I hate to be "that guy" but hard evidence matters. Would you want to be accused of a crime simply because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Would you feel that should be enough to convict you or would you demand hard, verifiable evidence of your guilt?

I wonder which side of this you would be standing on if it were you being accused.

8 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Do you have any idea how many people your average politician knows, interacts with, associates with? Case in point, John Wayne Gacy was photographed with Roslyn Carter in 1976. Does this make the Carters' accomplices in Gacy's serial murders? Was Gacy a pawn of the Carters in an attempt to get rid of potential republican voters? As I pointed out above, George Bush sr. was in Dallas the day of the Kennedy assassination,  he was there for around 36 hours as he flew in about 24 hours before and flew out a few hours after the assassination. The CIA sealed and tried to hide this info. Taking all that into account does that mean Bush was part of a CIA assassination team that killed Kennedy? Um, no, it simply means Bush was in Dallas on behalf of the CIA during the assassination and nothing else. These people (politicians, political movers) know just about everybody, that is pretty much a politicians job. Politicians are the ultimate networkers, that's how they get elected in the first place.

I know, I hate to be "that guy" but hard evidence matters. Would you want to be accused of a crime simply because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Would you feel that should be enough to convict you or would you demand hard, verifiable evidence of your guilt?

I wonder which side of this you would be standing on if it were you being accused.

Rosyln Carter? Are you too drunk to comprehend? Did you even read what I posted? Where did i convict anybody without a fair trial?

Here again, for what it is worth, is the point of my post:

Without any hard evidence, here's how a rational person without an agenda speculates:

Was there motive?

Was there means?

Was there opportunity?

(speculates....)

Since I don't have all the facts yet,  I'll wait for conclusive evidence to render a judgement.

Let's see what you can twist this into.

Here's a different take on "Conspiracy Theories", how long could they remain secret?  Many conspiracies have been revealed, read about formally secret conspiracies here: https://www.rd.com/culture/conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true/  But why were they revealed?

A physicist studied this, Dr David Grimes, from Oxford University, and devised an equation to determine how long a conspiracy can be kept secret. It is  based on three factors: the number of conspirators involved, the amount of time that has passed, and the intrinsic probability of a conspiracy failing. Read more here: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35411684

4 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Rosyln Carter? Are you too drunk to comprehend? Did you even read what I posted? Where did i convict anybody without a fair trial?

Here again, for what it is worth, is the point of my post:

Without any hard evidence, here's how a rational person without an agenda speculates:

Was there motive?

Was there means?

Was there opportunity?

(speculates....)

Since I don't have all the facts yet,  I'll wait for conclusive evidence to render a judgement.

Let's see what you can twist this into.

How about you grow up or piss off. I did not attack anyone yet it is you who constantly attacks people simply because you do not agree with them. Nothing wrong with having a differing opinion but what is your problem that you insist on being abusive and condescending? Not enough attention as a child? If so, not our problem, take your shit attitude elsewhere.

3 hours ago, chef free said:

Here's a different take on "Conspiracy Theories", how long could they remain secret?  Many conspiracies have been revealed, read about formally secret conspiracies here: https://www.rd.com/culture/conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true/  But why were they revealed?

A physicist studied this, Dr David Grimes, from Oxford University, and devised an equation to determine how long a conspiracy can be kept secret. It is  based on three factors: the number of conspirators involved, the amount of time that has passed, and the intrinsic probability of a conspiracy failing. Read more here: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35411684

Good stuff Chef

15 hours ago, IpMan said:

Good stuff Chef

From another interview:

Dr Grimes said: "Not everyone who believes in a conspiracy is unreasonable or unthinking. I hope that by showing how eye-wateringly unlikely some alleged conspiracies are, some people will reconsider their anti-science beliefs."

"This will of course not convince everyone; there’s ample evidence that belief in conspiracy is often ideological rather than rational, and that conspiracy theories thrive in an echo chamber. This makes challenging the more odious narratives much more difficult.  If we are to address the multitudinous difficulties facing us as a species, from climate change to geo-politics, then we need to embrace reality over ideologically motivated fictions. To this end, we need to better understand how and why some ideas are entrenched and persistent among certain groups despite the evidence, and how we might counteract this."

The paper, On the viability of conspiratorial beliefs, is published online by PLOS ONE on 26 January 2016 (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0147905).

The two other conspiracies used to provide baseline data were:

The Tuskegee Syphilis experiment: A US Public Health Service study following African-American men with syphilis denied them access to penicillin when it became available from around 1947, in order to continue a study of the decline engendered by the disease. While questions were raised from the 1960s, the unethical study was revealed by whistle-blower Dr Peter Buxten in 1972.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation forensic scandalDr Frederic Whitehurst wrote hundreds of letters to his superiors raising concerns about the pseudo-scientific nature of many FBI forensics tests, which had led to the convictions of innocent people, including a number executed for their apparent crimes. When it became apparent that no action was being taken, Dr Whitehurst went public in 1998. Case reviews continue.

Edited by chef free

8 hours ago, chef free said:

From another interview:

Dr Grimes said: "Not everyone who believes in a conspiracy is unreasonable or unthinking. I hope that by showing how eye-wateringly unlikely some alleged conspiracies are, some people will reconsider their anti-science beliefs."

"This will of course not convince everyone; there’s ample evidence that belief in conspiracy is often ideological rather than rational, and that conspiracy theories thrive in an echo chamber. This makes challenging the more odious narratives much more difficult.  If we are to address the multitudinous difficulties facing us as a species, from climate change to geo-politics, then we need to embrace reality over ideologically motivated fictions. To this end, we need to better understand how and why some ideas are entrenched and persistent among certain groups despite the evidence, and how we might counteract this."

The paper, On the viability of conspiratorial beliefs, is published online by PLOS ONE on 26 January 2016 (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0147905).

The two other conspiracies used to provide baseline data were:

The Tuskegee Syphilis experiment: A US Public Health Service study following African-American men with syphilis denied them access to penicillin when it became available from around 1947, in order to continue a study of the decline engendered by the disease. While questions were raised from the 1960s, the unethical study was revealed by whistle-blower Dr Peter Buxten in 1972.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation forensic scandalDr Frederic Whitehurst wrote hundreds of letters to his superiors raising concerns about the pseudo-scientific nature of many FBI forensics tests, which had led to the convictions of innocent people, including a number executed for their apparent crimes. When it became apparent that no action was being taken, Dr Whitehurst went public in 1998. Case reviews continue.

Without a doubt, several conspiracy theories have been proven correct however pretty much all of them people were leaking info from the start. From the Tuskegee Experiments, to MKULTRA, to COINTELPRO, to the FAKE MOON LANDINGS have been proven to be true (Ha, just checking to see if you are paying attention on that last one). The funny thing about the fake moon landing theory is either the US did not have the tech, has even more advanced tech and had been going to the moon, mars, saturn etc. in cooperation with aliens since the 1950's, or, my personal favorite, the Van Allen Radiation belts cannot be breeched and thus the Earth is in actuality a prison planet on quarantine. Now that I mention it, and in light to where we are sociologically as a species, that last one might be spot on.

The theory I personally believe in is the Kennedy Assassination. I do not believe Oswald so much as shot at Kennedy but was merely a patsy who realized he was set up as soon as he found out Kennedy had been shot. I have no idea who did it but I believe it was at least a three man shooting team who pulled it off. That being said I still cannot discount the possibility Oswald did in fact act alone and pulled off one of the greatest assassinations in history with a piece of shit Italian WWI bolt-action rifle with faulty sights on a moving target. If that was truly the case then Guny Sgt. Hartman was right:

Edited by IpMan

Pizzagate is a prime example of some guy (Alex Jones) likely thinking to himself, "hmmm, what is the absolute most stupid, absurd, moronic conspiracy I can come up with...oh, I know. I will talk about this on my show to prove to the courts and my ex-wife that I am simply a satirist that no one will take seriously so I can get visitation rights back. Damn, I am a genius!!!! Wait, what...some jackass actually went to the pizza parlor and did what? Oh FFS!!!!"

On 9/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, kipper said:

there are no space aliens.  People believe in stupid stuff because the are stupid

I'm confident that there are other "living things" in our universe but I'll bet it's mostly bacteria.  Our planet/moon system seems pretty unique, places this stable, a necessity for long term evolution, seem to be rare.  Plus the distances involved and Einstein's "speed limit" would seem to prohibit contact between us.

I have wondered about the "multiverse" theory of multiple universes stacked on each other.   Maybe "space aliens", "haunted houses", "ascended masters", sightings of the "Virgin Mary" "Buddha", "Krishna", "Allah" etc. could all be moments of universes crossing over into each other.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-09-07/ship-built-cias-most-audacious-cold-war-mission-now-headed-scrapyard

This is the conspiracy I remember best.  In the 4th or 5th grade we did a section on oceanography.  There was a poster in our classroom showing all the different means used to explore the oceans.  Mr. Hughes' supposedly had the idea of mining the oceans for precious minerals.  That was a new idea, and was part of the poster.  All a CIA cover to raise a sunken Russian sub.  That wasn't revealed until I was in High School.  I don't believe in most conspiracies, but this incident is always a reminder to me that our gov't and others are capable of doing some shady covert stuff.    

10 hours ago, slave to zep said:

You do realize that there are trillions of galaxies out there, right?

I said galaxies, not planets, but even then you can't be serious! 

That's why I said "mostly bacteria"...  I know that a strong possibility exists that there are other intelligent living things in our universe.  

4 hours ago, chef free said:

That's why I said "mostly bacteria"...  I know that a strong possibility exists that there are other intelligent living things in our universe.  

I sure hope so chef because it is becoming more and more apparent every day that our own planet is seriously lacking in regard to intelligent life.