What conspiracy theories do you think are real or are ridiculous?

gibsonfan159

On 8/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

I personally don't care what anyone either believes or does not believe, but if someone tries to push their bullshit on me I will expose them for the shitbird idiot they truly are.

This is where shit is starting to really unravel and break down. The seeming inability of people to have a good deep conversation about something each with a different perspective or even belief - but able to keep it respectful. It is mostly due to conversations now happening in here instead of in person (I suspect) and the inability to even accept someone has a different view - and that is not WRONG, it is just A DIFFERENT VIEW.

Arguing facts is a completely different bucket of shit.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, rm2551 said:

This is where shit is starting to really unravel and break down. The seeming inability of people to have a good deep conversation about something each with a different perspective or even belief - but able to keep it respectful. It is mostly due to conversations now happening in here instead of in person (I suspect) and the inability to even accept someone has a different view - and that is not WRONG, it is just A DIFFERENT VIEW.

Arguing facts is a completely different bucket of shit.

This is so true, social media has removed all barriers of civility and respect for others. Few would be stupid enough to say in person what they say on-line for fear of obvious repercussion. Out of sight out of mind is exactly that, without the other person in front of you it is easy to think of them as not really people.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, redrum said:

I think there is a cosmic/electrical/esp/solar wind conspiracy on me when I drive, as whenever I approach a green light it instantly turns red. The bastards just know I'm coming.

It happened today about 5 times and it is HOT here today. Just love sitting at 4 way red lights sweating away. (Air con doesn't work in my car)

On 8/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, redrum said:

I think there is a cosmic/electrical/esp/solar wind conspiracy on me when I drive, as whenever I approach a green light it instantly turns red. The bastards just know I'm coming.

I know how you feel. I complain to my wife all the time how I get every red light in the city all the time. She started to make a mental note of it to prove me wrong. While it wasn't even light, over 90% are always red for me. Either some city planner/engineer is messing with the light to anger me... or I have extremely bad luck with traffic lights. 

4 minutes ago, timothy5151 said:

I know how you feel. I complain to my wife all the time how I get every red light in the city all the time. She started to make a mental note of it to prove me wrong. While it wasn't even light, over 90% are always red for me. Either some city planner/engineer is messing with the light to anger me... or I have extremely bad luck with traffic lights. 

I've even tried delaying my departure to try to throw a monkey wrench into the system. Never works. :lol:

On 8/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, redrum said:

I've even tried delaying my departure to try to throw a monkey wrench into the system. Never works. :lol:

I believe this happens to everyone who drives normal and not like either a geezer or a madman. The lights are timed so that if you hit one, if you proceed at or close to the posted speed you will in turn hit most or all. Now if you can rip-ass down the road around 15+ mph over the speed limit, you will have much better odds at making the lights. Unfortunately you will also increase your odds of running afoul of "da man" and getting popped for speeding.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

7 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I believe this happens to everyone who drives normal and not like either a geezer or a madman. The lights are timed so that if you hit one, if you proceed at or close to the posted speed you will in turn hit most or all. Now if you can rip-ass down the road around 15+ mph over the speed limit, you will have much better odds at making the lights. Unfortunately you will also increase your odds of running afoul of "da man" and getting popped for speeding.

There is a stretch of road on the way to my work that is exactly this. If I don't hammer it on the bike to the second set, it goes red on approach - every time. So for that stretch, I just keep a careful eye out and open her up. It's annoying.

Edited by rm2551

13 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

We have a 3 way light in town and it drives me nuts. The more the town grows the more signals they put in. Developers are killing this town.

15 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Normally this is the case.... but my city is being operated by a bunch of monkeys. The city engineer (if we have one) never re-syncs the traffic lights after they are replaced/repaired.  A lot of times traffic gets backed up in the middle of the intersection because  cars entering from a secondary road are stuck at a red luck a short ways up ahead, so that when I get the green light again there is no where to go.... it's very frustrating.

23 hours ago, timothy5151 said:

Normally this is the case.... but my city is being operated by a bunch of monkeys. The city engineer (if we have one) never re-syncs the traffic lights after they are replaced/repaired.  A lot of times traffic gets backed up in the middle of the intersection because  cars entering from a secondary road are stuck at a red luck a short ways up ahead, so that when I get the green light again there is no where to go.... it's very frustrating.

We can all sympathize with that. We have a 2 lane road that leads west out of town into the next town which is not far. By the time 3 o'clock rolls around the exiting traffic from here is backed up for about 2 miles. This is all due to the new traffic lights they put in in the other town. They make the problem worse and then just walk away.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

I do not agree due to the mathematical probability of millions of other inhabited planets within our galaxy alone much less the universe, other universes, and other dimensions.

However, unlike those who believe in religion (which also cannot be proven, mathematically or otherwise), I would never insist my belief is correct due to a complete lack of solid evidence. And I sure as hell would never wish to convert another nor push my belief on another.

I personally don't care what anyone either believes or does not believe, but if someone tries to push their bullshit on me I will expose them for the shitbird idiot they truly are.

Hositle or what?  Anyway, I do agree that Kipper is totally off base claiming there is no intelligent life elsewhere in this universe.  How in the hell does he get off saying he knows this for fact?  Its just crazy.  I also agree that given the unbelievable mass of other stars and planets it is likely they exist and are to far away to make contact.  I have studied astronomy and religion, and you can have both in harmony.  I am a Chrisitan, Catholic in fact and I am not going to push that on you.  I am a firm believer in Christ and also do say that there is much evidence of his being the almighty and also that the Virgin Mary also exists and is a very powerful figure in our religion.  Back to science. If one understands time and distance, you might understand just how damn far things truly are.  And how long it would take for certain other objects to get here.  It is said the probe that was sent out into space in the 70s that has classical and Beatles music on it, and many other things, will not reach its destination for about twenty times the length of time its been since Jesus walked the Earth.  Know that no matter how advanced other life forms are, they would still have to obey the same laws of physics.  IF they can defeat the speed of light somehow, wow.  If you could travel at half the speed of light I believe it would take about 40 years to reach the next star beyond our Sun.  Time in outer space is measured in astronomical units.  One astronomical unit equals the distance from the Earth to the Sun, about 93 million miles. Yikes

On 8/22/2019 at 8:02 PM, kipper said:

There is no extraterrestrial intelligent life and I will bet anyone a gazillion darseks that I am right.

What about regular extraterrestrial life? Surely the odds are extremely in favor of other carbon based life forms existing. 

One thing that throws me for a loop is the fact that we haven't received any signals from other life forms. So either we're the most advanced, or the other advanced species don't have the resources to send a signal. Or, our government received a signal and destroyed the evidence to protect society.

16 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What about regular extraterrestrial life? Surely the odds are extremely in favor of other carbon based life forms existing. 

One thing that throws me for a loop is the fact that we haven't received any signals from other life forms. So either we're the most advanced, or the other advanced species don't have the resources to send a signal. Or, our government received a signal and destroyed the evidence to protect society.

The explanation is actually much simpler. Let's go back in time to 1700 and send out a radio signal to the most advanced civilization on Planet Earth. 1700's Earth civilizations would not be able to pick this up much less understand it because the technology had yet to be invented. We have been using radio waves for barely more than 100 years and radio wave technology is now antiquated but still widely used. Within  50 years radio wave communication will no longer be used on Earth as newer tech will replace it. An advanced civilization (more advance than us) is likely using a form of communication we can neither detect much less begin to understand. I suspect there are all sorts of sub-space communication being used by thousands of civilizations flying around all about us but we just do not know it because we do not have the level of technology.

Same argument to consider regarding the vast distances of space. Those distances are only vast due to our limited knowledge and understanding. The Theory of Relativity is just a theory and an extremely small piece of an extremely large puzzle. The Alcubierre Drive (Warp Drive) is a proven work around to the vast distances in space as no physical laws are violated, yet with this drive one can easily exceed light speed as the craft is not even moving but rather space / time around the vehicle with this drive is warped. Think about that, a bunch of semi-literate primates (us) have already come up with a workable solution to interstellar travel, we just cannot develop a workable power source. So imagine a civilization just 1,000 years more advanced. They would likely have developed an even more advanced manner of transportation such as folding space or the use and harnessing of the mind to essentially re-create reality to a degree whereby any and all travel to any point would be instantaneous. Quantum Theory regarding spooky entanglement explains this quite well especially in regard to infinite probability waveform theory and the ultimate expression of Schroedinger's Cat.

The old axiom that modern technology would appear as magic to 19th century humans proves this point more simply.

23 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Hositle or what?  Anyway, I do agree that Kipper is totally off base claiming there is no intelligent life elsewhere in this universe.  How in the hell does he get off saying he knows this for fact?  Its just crazy.  I also agree that given the unbelievable mass of other stars and planets it is likely they exist and are to far away to make contact.  I have studied astronomy and religion, and you can have both in harmony.  I am a Chrisitan, Catholic in fact and I am not going to push that on you.  I am a firm believer in Christ and also do say that there is much evidence of his being the almighty and also that the Virgin Mary also exists and is a very powerful figure in our religion.  Back to science. If one understands time and distance, you might understand just how damn far things truly are.  And how long it would take for certain other objects to get here.  It is said the probe that was sent out into space in the 70s that has classical and Beatles music on it, and many other things, will not reach its destination for about twenty times the length of time its been since Jesus walked the Earth.  Know that no matter how advanced other life forms are, they would still have to obey the same laws of physics.  IF they can defeat the speed of light somehow, wow.  If you could travel at half the speed of light I believe it would take about 40 years to reach the next star beyond our Sun.  Time in outer space is measured in astronomical units.  One astronomical unit equals the distance from the Earth to the Sun, about 93 million miles. Yikes

Who, me??? :hysterical:

But seriously, the point I was going for is that even though the Drake Equation is a mathematical equation and based on science, it is still not proven so even though I may hold this belief there is no way I can defend or support it as fact due to complete lack of substantive evidence. It is simply my opinion and as a result I have neither right or foundation to push my belief on a person who believes otherwise.

Contrast this to religion, any religion. Again, religion is a belief which in no way can be either verified or substantiated, yet those who believe will not only push those beliefs on others, but most religions dictate that they do so even to the point of a sword. Every single religion will completely break down with simple scrutiny, it is only the inclusion of faith which allows a believer to completely ignore the obvious in favor of the extraordinary. Again, I have nothing wrong nor harbor ill will for those who do believe in a religion, I simply feel all believers should keep their belief and faith 100% to themselves unless a person should inquire. Take for example your belief in Christ. This is likely due simply to where you were born (the West) and how you were raised. If you were born in Bombay your belief would be in Krishna or possibly the Buddha. Are Buddhists & Hindu's wrong yet Christian's right? If every individual religion claims to know the truth then who is right and who is wrong? See the conundrum.

My take is I am like most of the founding fathers in that I am a Deist. I believe there is a God but more in line with a divine watchmaker view. If someone asks me I tell them but I would never try and push or prove my belief to anyone because I am likely as full of shit as everyone else. I don't know, you don't know, only the dead know and they ain't talking. Either way, if there is a God it likely does not give a single shit in what we believe as long as we are good and kind to each other.

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Who, me??? :hysterical:

But seriously, the point I was going for is that even though the Drake Equation is a mathematical equation and based on science, it is still not proven so even though I may hold this belief there is no way I can defend or support it as fact due to complete lack of substantive evidence. It is simply my opinion and as a result I have neither right or foundation to push my belief on a person who believes otherwise.

Contrast this to religion, any religion. Again, religion is a belief which in no way can be either verified or substantiated, yet those who believe will not only push those beliefs on others, but most religions dictate that they do so even to the point of a sword. Every single religion will completely break down with simple scrutiny, it is only the inclusion of faith which allows a believer to completely ignore the obvious in favor of the extraordinary. Again, I have nothing wrong nor harbor ill will for those who do believe in a religion, I simply feel all believers should keep their belief and faith 100% to themselves unless a person should inquire. Take for example your belief in Christ. This is likely due simply to where you were born (the West) and how you were raised. If you were born in Bombay your belief would be in Krishna or possibly the Buddha. Are Buddhists & Hindu's wrong yet Christian's right? If every individual religion claims to know the truth then who is right and who is wrong? See the conundrum.

My take is I am like most of the founding fathers in that I am a Deist. I believe there is a God but more in line with a divine watchmaker view. If someone asks me I tell them but I would never try and push or prove my belief to anyone because I am likely as full of shit as everyone else. I don't know, you don't know, only the dead know and they ain't talking. Either way, if there is a God it likely does not give a single shit in what we believe as long as we are good and kind to each other.

I guess I must enlighten  you and tell you that Christianity is very huge and it spreads all over the world.  Jesus did not play in North America.  It was on the other side of the Globe.   And I do have quite a bit of knowledge in Astronomy and Religion based on education, not geography.  I do not know why you have to be insulting with  your little laugh emoticon?  Its BS if you ask me. Time and distance is a problem as far as meeting other civilizations.  The Laws of Physics dictate the tremendous difficulty of travel and time. But I believe we have established that we agree on one thing, there is a probability that other intelligent life exists out there somewhere right?

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I guess I must enlighten  you and tell you that Christianity is very huge and it spreads all over the world.  Jesus did not play in North America.  It was on the other side of the Globe.   And I do have quite a bit of knowledge in Astronomy and Religion based on education, not geography.  I do not know why you have to be insulting with  your little laugh emoticon?  Its BS if you ask me. Time and distance is a problem as far as meeting other civilizations.  The Laws of Physics dictate the tremendous difficulty of travel and time. But I believe we have established that we agree on one thing, there is a probability that other intelligent life exists out there somewhere right?

You misunderstand, I was not being insulting with the emoticon, that first sentence and the emoticon was only replying to the beginning of your post where you said "hostile or what?" I was just being silly that's all.

I believe we may be straying into dangerous waters here so as Paul McCartney said, let it be. I respect your beliefs and if those beliefs make you a better person, then you have chosen your faith well.

Cheers

10 hours ago, redrum said:

Like FDR with the Japanese? 😎

Fun Fact: Hawaii, the only place in the US attacked during the war, never sent their Japanese population (158,000) off to internment camps, they did send around 2,000 Kabei to camps but otherwise keep an eye on the rest and let them be. Also, Hawaii was in a state of martial law from December 7th, 1941 until May 1945. The longest period of martial law in US history.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum