PAUL STANLEY Pays Tribute To Legend JIMMY PAGE

If KISS never wore make-up, I guarantee that they would be a lot more respected...have any of you haters actually listen to Ace play...He's GREAT.....amazing solos...very Page-like in his technique...has said himself that LZ (esp. Page) were a big influence....to each their own but in my book, KISS is a really good band (Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, I Stole Your Love, and King Of The Night Time World are pretty good tunes)

I think Ace Frehey in his prime is just great. Ever here I'm in Need of Love, or back in the New York Groove from his 70's solo record? Excellent> One thing about Gene Simmons, he calls Revolver by The Beatles his dessert island music. And, his bass line in Goin' Blind is just wonderful. A fantastic song. Now, I don't know why he never wants to talk re. the music, just the groupies. Wee. Wow Gene, you got groupie sex, we're impressed, now shut up about it, please. As well, listen to Love Gun. They hadn't discovered bombastic 80's production yet ('Forever'), and it is gut level and a great record.

I think Ace Frehey in his prime is just great. Ever here I'm in Need of Love, or back in the New York Groove from his 70's solo record? Excellent> One thing about Gene Simmons, he calls Revolver by The Beatles his dessert island music. And, his bass line in Goin' Blind is just wonderful. A fantastic song. Now, I don't know why he never wants to talk re. the music, just the groupies. Wee. Wow Gene, you got groupie sex, we're impressed, now shut up about it, please. As well, listen to Love Gun. They hadn't discovered bombastic 80's production yet ('Forever'), and it is gut level and a great record.

Did you ever hear the original 'New York Groove'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scfB8Sm2Hog

Great song.

KISS was a great rock band back in the 70s. They were no Led Zeppelin, but then again, they weren't really trying to be either. I think what Paul had to say was really cool. It's nice to see Jimmy get a little respect every now and then.

My two cents. KISS has it's ups and downs. It has one of the greatest Rock and Roll frontmen ever in Paul Stanley and one of the Greatist guitarists ever in Ace Frehley. In fact, I saw Ace play two nights ago at a venue near me in a solo show and now that he is clean and sober, he is playing better than he ever has. Can't say that for Jimmy sometimes, as much as I love him. KISS is and always will be one of the greatest Rock bands of all time. Right up there with Zeppelin. Sure Gene $immons is greedy as hell, but he is what he is, a great businessman who knows how to market his product. Love them or hate them, KISS has influenced at least as many bands as Zeppelin and Ace Frehley may very well be the most influential guitar player ever to get people to pick up a guitar (not to mention people playing Les Pauls). Zeppelin is no doubt more exotic in their musical explorations, but KISS is definitely one of the greatest Rock bands of all time and Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley (even though he has since left KISS) are definitely very talented and creative musicians. They may have dumbed down some of the music they wrote for KISS in the late 70's due to the style KISS was trying to acheive (bad move there) but their early KISS stuff and their solo work (including Paul's new solo album) show they are definitely kickass rock n roll legends who deserve a little more respect than they often get.

Edited by Saiko

Paul Stanley alway seemed like a positive cat to me, I admit I was a KISS fan when I was a kid, Peter Criss was my favorite. When my fellow hooligan friends and I would go out at night and steal car parts ( Midnight Auto) I used to paint my face like "The Catman". Of course, KISS was quickly supplanted by Zeppelin, as for Gene Simmons...I can't stand the site of him, what a colossal asshole .

• 3 months later...
If KISS never wore make-up, I guarantee that they would be a lot more respected...have any of you haters actually listen to Ace play...He's GREAT.....amazing solos...very Page-like in his technique...has said himself that LZ (esp. Page) were a big influence....to each their own but in my book, KISS is a really good band (Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, I Stole Your Love, and King Of The Night Time World are pretty good tunes)...BTW, just so you guys know...JOHN PAUL JONES is a big KISS fan...he has a long quote in one their books about how underrated they are...it's a shame they became a kids band in the late 70's.

I cannot resist, I must also write something! Before I became a Led Zep fan I was (and I stil am) a Kiss fan as well. I like them since I was 16 years old. My favorite member was always Ace Frehley and yes, you are so right! He sounds sometimes really a little like Jimmy and it is also true, that Jimmy was his great influence. I must say, I have very many exciting memories with being a Kiss fan, because they evoke nostalgic feelings in me. I don´t know if I would become a fan of Kiss today, because I must admitt, that their music is a little simple...LOL! But they have a great and bombastic show and those costumes are awesome. Like I have said, I´m an Ace Frehley fan ( see my nickname- Spacewoman, it comes from "Spaceman" the Space Ace Frehley. And I must also admitt, that Paul Stanley is a real sweetheart, he was always nice to his fans.

About Gene... well, I must say, I don´t like him at all, even worse... I hate him sometimes for this, what he is doin´to Ace all the years. He was bashing him in his book. He told about him that he is lazy, selfdestructive etc. But he never threw him out from the band, because Ace was so good, that he couldn´t have Kiss without him. Ace finally left Kiss and it was good so. Ace always wanted to play guitar and make music. Gene only wanted to make money.

Kiss will tour in June in our republic, but I will not be there, because without Ace it has no sense. He was Kiss for me - Gene is able to put somebody else in his makeup and he is thinking that it is OK. I don´t think so and it hurts me. I´m the Kiss fan of the original lineup- Ace, Gene, Peter and Paul and then also with the Fox- Eric Carr. He was a great drummer. But Gene is not such a character like Led Zep. When Bonzo died, the knew, there is no future without him. He was unforgetable . I regard this. Gene doesn´t mind that, I think Kiss today is a thoroughfare where the musicians come in and out. I know that Jason played drums on the reunion, but everybody knows this is a son of Bonzo. But Gene put an other man in Ace´s makeup and calls him Spaceman. And I cannot agree with this.

I have also heard that Ace is now playing with his new band and I´m very happy about it. I have always loved him and I wish him all the best.

I became a LZ fan about one month ago. I adore their beautiful music, because it is quite different from Kiss- I must admitt those guys can really, really play! Robert is an awesome singer and also a very handsome and sexy man- a real dreamman for me, I must admitt I´m quite in love..... I have read many things about him and I regard him more and more every day, because he is so goodhearted and so charming. His lyrics are wonderfull. The other LZ guys are great as well- Jimmy is a guitar wizzard, Bonzo and JPJ are masters of their instruments and they all are very cute and cool too.

So, that is what I wanted to say...

I´m in a great danger- if somebody from our Kiss forum where I´m member will read this, he will kill me!!!! :D. But I had to tell it to somebody.... I didn´t want to bash Kiss, but I only wanted to say, that I don´t like Gene and his practices.

That´s all guys! :)

Here, I have made a pic of my two dear guys which I love- this would be a cool jam session, wouldn´t it? :D

Gobabes.jpg

Edited by Spacewoman

Not a huge Kiss fan...but i have no beef with them...but saying that their first two albums are a lot more complex than zep's.......simply not true. Zep one recorded in how many hours....!? The musician make up of the bands cannot be compared.....from minute one. I have NO DOUBT kiss guys would be the first to acknowledge this.

• 3 weeks later...
I've already said it was cool that Paul had some good things to say about Jimmy and Zep, so that's that. But on the subject and Kiss' artistic merit, it's important to remember that Gene Simmons himself is quite upfront about the fact that he doesn't care about the music, he wants to make as much money as possible, and brand as much merch for his fans to buy as possible. That's where their "questionable artistic integrity comes in". Here are some quotes from Simmons, and this is just from ONE INTERVIEW:

And now in the '90s and the 2000 era, we've got over 2,500 licenses: There's a KISS Broadway play on the way with Rob Roth, who directed Beauty and the Beast, a KISS cartoon show with the people who do Transformers and Beast Wars. In other words, there are KISS comic books in the works. Superman meets KISS. That's going to be the kickoff of the new Superman, uh, rather, the new KISS comic books series. So we're going everywhere. I can be on the cover of Playboy magazine, and I can sell comic books and bubble gum to younger fans. And it's all good. And instead of being in a rock and roll band -- who the hell wants to do that? I don't -- I want to be in a rock and roll brand. I want to be Disney without the overhead. And I'm on the way.

when asked about his makeup pattern on his face: A banker's pattern. When you look at it, it says, "Boy that guy's got a lot of money."

I will contend, and you try to disprove it, that the most important thing as we know it on this planet, in this plane, is, in fact, money. But getting to the money part, money is the single most important thing on the planet, including the notion that uh, love gives you everything. That's a lot of hogwash.

I believe in my heart that anyone who gets up there and says what they're doing is art is on crack, and is delusional, and that in point of fact, what they really ... their modus operandi initially -- perhaps it changed when they started to question their sexuality, but clearly, initially -- it was to get laid and make lots of money. And anybody who tells you otherwise is lying to you.

And my favorite obnoxious, money-grubbing, completely devoid of any artistic integrity quote: No one -- and that includes the Beatles and Elvis -- can touch our (KISS') merchandising and licensing. Nobody. Outside of the music world, it's only Disney and Lucas. But in the music world, they can't shine our shoes.

I was gonna read the entire thread but you, sir, you have stolen the thunder right out from under me, albeit 4 months ago!

A friend I went to grade school and high school with a huge Kiss fan. From freshman year on, he and I constantly battled over who was the better band. Constantly. I'd see him in the halls in school and yell, "Kiss sucks!". I'd slip notes in his wall-locker which would say the same thing...I've never, ever liked them because their "music" always boiled (dummed it down, as someone else said) things down to the lowest common denominator :blink: ...they were/are a caricature of themselves from day one, album one.

Kiss came to St.Louis, (omg, i just went to a frickin' Kiss web site!) Oct. 2nd, 1979 and my friend bought two tickets...I dont know why (probably trying to convert me!) but he asked me to go and I said yes. Musta had nothing better to do that night. That would put me in the first semester of my sophmore year, so probably correct...Anywho, the show was quite the spectacle: fire, blood, explosions, etc. What was to be expected, I suppose. I'm glad he got to see his favorite band...

I must assure y'all though, I wasn't converted...good show, sucky, cartoon band...

• 11 years later...

I CHALLENGE ANY  (heavy metal fan) KISS HATER, (or if you think KISS's music went downhill after  the makeup came off )you're wrong their music was better than EVER!

I BET I CAN CHANGE YOUR MIND IF you appreciate amazing original music you probably should give these songs a listen or re-listen, just try it I'll bet you money you have a different opinion when you get done listening to them!

you owe it to yourself!!!!

- Unholy

- all hell's Breakin loose

- Heaven's on Fire

- I love it loud (ok, this was @ the end of their makeup era)

Edited by z1inspector
Typo's