09/29/1971 Osaka - Stairway To Heaven - EVSD SBD Single

mknopfler

22 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

So the amazing version of Thank You isn't included?  That truly sucks, what a bummer.  This one went from stud to dud very quickly.

+1

And  where  is  "celebration  day"? Great  version  and  I  was  waiting  just  for  these  2  songs  and  the  magnificent  organ  solo. WTF  EV?

3 hours ago, jbrum77634 said:

In my humble opinion the Deux prices were a tipping point for many - all 3 releases are still available, even the 100 copy promo version is regularly advertised on a Japanese auction site at cost/buy it now prices.

Slightly underwhelmed by todays announcements but at least it's costing a lot less than I budgeted. 

I think it is an other topic, but I'd like to answer jbrum77634:

I know they're all on sale on Yahoo Auctions (and maybe some other sites also). On the other hand when I buy a copy from AirRaid he gets it to my door for the price listed plus another $ 23,- p&p.
When I buy a copy at Yahoo Auctions, maybe I'll have to pay just the same amount for just the box. After that they just add another $ 40.- p&p (from seller to the warehouse and from warehouse to your door). But - and that's the tricky part - they just state the real value etc. on the packaging. EG: "commercial goods" - $ 300.- And than customs come in (in The Netherlands) and add just another $ 65.- or something like that. So in the end it gets really expensive and that's when I'll pass...

For example: few years back I bought the 3rd issue of EVSD's "Deep Throat" but I kept wanting the original 2003 copy with the silver box and the rigid books. I know BootLedZ is selling a copy for $ 777.- and on eBay is a copy for just $ 939.66 That's way too expensive for me. Last month I bought a copy on Yahoo Auctions for $ 250.- Add another $ 40.- p&p and an extra $ 55.- customs. In the end it was just $ 345.- and that's fine for me (€ 290,-).

AirRaid says its a gift, 2nd hand cd's, max 2000 JPY. So it gets in (your country) for free.

5 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I agree that it's got to be difficult to record a show that has such long songs in it, but why leave out Black Dog? It's early in the show, well before any tape change would have been an issue, and it sits between SIBLY and Dazed, which were both recorded. There are also other soundboards from earlier in 1971 that include it (e.g. Orlando.)  Based on that, leaving it out seems more like a money grab than the result of some technical problem.

Indeed, this track ordering does seem rather different to what we typically see from incomplete SB's of the era with so many gaps. I mean yeah we haven't had a confirmed SB from Japan 71 before so something different might have been going on there but equally I wouldn't be shocked if this isn't the whole thing, just enough for a proper release and maybe holding back enough for another big release sometime in the future.

What I would say though is that whilst I would personally have WLL from this show as the best live performance Zep ever gave(the same track from 23/9 also up there) I'v always kind of thought that the existing source was part of the appeal. I mean no its not perfect at all but it is incredibly powerful sounding and I wonder whether even a good SB wouldn't quite recreate that insane intensity?

I actually think the earlier parts of the show are the ones that suffer rather more from issues with the main source so in a way having upgrades from them might end up being more interesting, especially Dazed if it includes the complete Pennies from Heaven.

Edited by greenman

Boy EVSD is really trying to milk every last penny they can out of this show aren't they? I'm disappointed that they don't have WLL or Celebration Day, but at least a good portion of the show will be available in soundboard form. Anyone else think this is EVSD getting revenge for how Deus Ex Machina was leaked early? I mean, obviously the fact that it's such a legendary show is an influence here, but still...I wonder if this is the new normal, or just a unique case due to the reputation of the show.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I have zero complaint with this release. New soundboard material is new soundboard material. The deliberate omission of "Stairway" even after they already released it points to this release really just being a "bigger" sampler from the show.  The omissions are too deliberate.  Release everything from the first third of the show, but not Black Dog?  Same for the encores, where they release Communication and Rock and Roll, but leap frog the organ solo and Thank You?  Nah. They have the whole thing and they are trickling it out. This isn't a surprise, they've been doing it with those samplers throughout the year. Let's hope they don't stop after this one.  If they really did have to pay out big bucks to get this tape, then power to them. 99% of the people here aren't even going to be buying this anyway, so really shouldn't be complaining, right?  EV even included actual photos from the 929 show, which I've never seen before.  It's only a matter of time before we get the full version at some point (months, not years please).

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

Boy EVSD is really trying to milk every last penny they can out of this show aren't they? I'm disappointed that they don't have WLL or Celebration Day, but at least a good portion of the show will be available in soundboard form. Anyone else think this is EVSD getting revenge for how Deus Ex Machina was leaked early? I mean, obviously the fact that it's such a legendary show is an influence here, but still...I wonder if this is the new normal, or just a unique case due to the reputation of the show.

Honestly though I doubt that really had much impact on their sales, it was always going to be on offer for free very soon after release anyway so nobody was buying it as a last resort it was people who wanted a CD copy of it.

I would say as well that I'm not entirely convinced its just EVSD at play here, it could just as well be someone else selling them material piece by piece to maximise their own profit.

Edited by greenman

1 hour ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Apparently they (EVSD) don’t have a/the complete 929 soundboard

D3A266CC-4A4A-4DD5-8E87-5F3C74071DDA.png

That has nothing to do with the soundboard. It's an insert from the 6CD Wendy release of the show. SBD 1 refers to the old "soundboard" source. SBD 2 refers to other versions of the soundboard such as the vinyl on Pennies From Heaven. And the AUD refers to the audience tape they used to patch in the gaps.

2 hours ago, greenman said:

Honestly though I doubt that really had much impact on their sales, it was always going to be on offer for free very soon after release anyway so nobody was buying it as a last resort it was people who wanted a CD copy of it.

I would say as well that I'm not entirely convinced its just EVSD at play here, it could just as well be someone else selling them material piece by piece to maximise their own profit.

I agree.  I don't think they have the complete board.  I get releasing one or two appetizers/teasers before a complete release like they did last year with Seattle, but it makes no sense to release an incomplete show like this, unless they don't in fact have the complete show.  I think they're being provided things piecemeal here, and Page is a likely candidate for the source.  These Japan soundboards are probably related to some kind of "How the East Was Won" official release.

24 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I agree.  I don't think they have the complete board.  I get releasing one or two appetizers/teasers before a complete release like they did last year with Seattle, but it makes no sense to release an incomplete show like this, unless they don't in fact have the complete show.  I think they're being provided things piecemeal here, and Page is a likely candidate for the source.  These Japan soundboards are probably related to some kind of "How the East Was Won" official release.

Why would they omit Black Dog which was early in the show, and Stairway which was already released ? 

36 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Why would they omit Black Dog which was early in the show, and Stairway which was already released ? 

I think the release pattern for Deus Ex Machina is the key here. They started with that sampler and then took pre-orders forever, and then you had to buy an expensive box to get the show. Anyone who bought those 14CD, 8CD, and 7CD sets were really just paying different premiums to get those 4 discs with the 3/21/75 board on them. The rest of the discs in each set were easy profit, and the buyer was rewarded with the awesome packaging and the collectible aspect. Those boxes were $300-$700. EV then turned around and released the 4CD version of the 3/21/75 board that everyone wanted in the first place, for $100. But then they put an exclusive upgraded sbd/aud version of the board in the Snowblind box, which retailed for $225. Nobody needed those Vancouver discs, so really it was a way for EV to find a new way to charge $225 for an exclusive version of the Deus discs, after they had already lowered it to $100. 

The new 929 set starts at $200 for 2 CDs, and this set doesn’t include the whole show, nor does it even have Stairway, which they already released for $65 for that one track. So, to get all of the new soundboard content for 929 you need to spend $265. As it was, in order to get Friends via the sampler, EV required buyers to purchase IS, STH, and Black dog from 9/28 - making for a $200 price point for 4 songs, 1 of which had originally been released to drive sales of the Rock Carnival box set, which also had pre-released shows, just in a new box.

I imagine that these 929 releases will go through some version of the Deus cycle, and we will eventually get the full show. First is the initial cash out (these $200-$380 releases), then comes the standalone jewel case version with Stairway and Friends included ($100), and then when the dust settles we get the upgraded full show but only via a box, pairing the board with existing titles, such as Hiroshima 9/27 aud and the Osaka 9/28 aud mix, costing $300 for the box. Then, we get the mega deluxe 929 box with the complete soundboard and all of the individual 929 audience sources, for $500-$700.  

Along the way, EV will start trickling out the 928 board via the same format...eventually leading to a new “Complete” Japan 1971 box in 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Probably because they don't have Black Dog and they left off Stairway for space reasons, to make it a 2-disk release.  I could be wrong, of course, this has played out very strangely, so who knows what's really going.  But given the fact that any material will be uploaded very quickly upon release, the only way these bootleg companies can make money is if they have two markets, essentially:  a private auction for wealthy collectors (who don't care about being gouged), and then the (short-lived) public market for regular fans.  These publicly announced box sets are just for the stragglers who got bumped in the prior private sale.  That's most likely what happened with Seattle last year (hence the long delay), and probably what's going on here, and ESVD is releasing what they have (which is not all of it in this case).

9 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

This really is the Devil's Music after all.  Real cute and funny to orchestrate this scenario just to eFF with us

Great post! I must say, the intrigue and the theories being bandied around are really exciting. I’m not having it that EV are being drip fed this source...by Page or anyone else. They know exactly what they’re doing. They have the lot. We’ll see that over the coming years. They’ll undoubtedly save the best till last (WLL medley). 

I can watch this unfold in comfort as someone who will not break the bank for an incomplete show when I know there is more to come. 

I think it’s a mistake on EV’s part though. They’ve done themselves out of sales by making it pretty fucking obvious there is more to come. I’m not having it that they left STH out to fit it on two discs. They could have got more dime by merging it with the existing source. 

In the meantime, let’s enjoy what is released. 

How was it that the soundboard of the last segment of Montreaux ‘70 was released again? Was this a similar situation? 

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

How was it that the soundboard of the last segment of Montreaux ‘70 was released again? Was this a similar situation? 

Wasn't that during the period Claude Nobs' tape archive was being transferred to digital (and one of those analog reels 'escaped' for a moment)?  On the net there was a photo of a BASF tape reel (in a Kodak film box).

Don't take my word for gospel though.😇

1970-Montreux_reel.jpg.c443926fa37107a6299bdcd148388d16.jpg

Edited by duckman

14 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Not sure Page would bother with this, I mean any money involved is going to be very small change for him plus I think he'd have focused more on the early years as well. I suspect those stolen soundboards have ended up in the hands of someone who is slowly selling them off to EVSD to maximise their profits.

I mean I don't to make a definitive statement as its possible this is all their is the show but I think its also possible that the person selling off material has realised that 29/9/71 is such a holy grail they can sell it off a piece at a time. Not sure about the one song releases which might well have been ESVD trying to spread the cost of buying the source out but what we have now could well be all they have only to have someone sell them a more complete version down the road.

This is very different from say some random 77 board, you only offer half a show there and people are not going to be showing much interest.

Edited by greenman

3 minutes ago, greenman said:

Not sure Page would bother with this, I mean any money involved is going to be very small change for him plus I think he'd have focused more on the early years as well. I suspect those stolen soundboards have ended up in the hands of someone who is slowly selling them off to EVSD to maximise their profits.

I mean I don't to make a definitive statement as its possible this is all their is the show but I think its also possible that the person selling off material has realised that 29/9/71 is such a holy grail they can sell it off a piece at a time. Not sure about the one song releases which might well have been ESVD trying to spread the cost of buying the source out but what we have now could well be all they have only to have someone sell them a more complete version down the road.

This is very different from say some random 77 board, you only offer half a show there and people are not going to be showing much interest.

Sure, fair points, 9-29-71 is an iconic show so they can play those kinds of games, but so was 3-21-75.  I'm skeptical that they have the entire show;  someone does, obviously, just not EVSD.  BTW this also explains why we haven't heard anything about 9-28-71 in two years:  they only have Black Dog.    

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Sure, fair points, 9-29-71 is an iconic show so they can play those kinds of games, but so was 3-21-75.  I'm skeptical that they have the entire show;  someone does, obviously, just not EVSD.  BTW this also explains why we haven't heard anything about 9-28-71 in two years:  they only have Black Dog.    

I don't think even the 75 Seattle show was held in quite the same regard that an incomplete release would have given as much interest.

The way this show is cut up again though does seem a little strange, I spose the 71 Florida show was a bit cut up as well but not to this degree which does make me think something has chopped it up afterwards.

Edited by greenman

On 9/22/2018 at 1:53 AM, duckman said:

Wow Steve, thanks for that wake up call (it's 7.30 here in Belgium and I just woke up). 

Did some digging and found the track listing:

Disc One Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, SIBLY, Dazed & Confused

Disc Two Smoke Gets in your Eyes, What is and what should never be, Moby Dick, Communication Breakdown, Rock'n Roll

Very weird....what happened to Stairway and Friends???? and most of all, Whole Lotta Love ?

Schermafbeelding 2018-09-22 om 11.23.27.png

Yet another SB Moby Dick...and NO Celebration Day! I’ll wait for Eel Grass

All I can say is, so far this 50th anniversary business has been a disappointment both officially and unofficially. I would hope in the coming months we will see something more appropriate for the occasion on silvers, like a complete board tape or matrix/merge of something!! Fuckin 'ell, are they gonna wait til our generation of fans dies off to release what they're holding???  Cannot believe they are still trickling out 9/29...and 9/28 is still in the can. Sometimes I think Zep fans are the most serially rejected fans of any band . 

Edited by porgie66

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

All I can say is, so far this 50th anniversary business has been a disappointment both officially and unofficially. I would hope in the coming months we will see something more appropriate for the occasion on silvers, like a complete board tape or matrix/merge of something!! Fuckin 'ell, are they gonna wait til our generation of fans dies off to release what they're holding???  Cannot believe they are still trickling out 9/29...and 9/28 is still in the can. Sometimes I think Zep fans are the most serially rejected fans of any band . 

I fold! Done chasing the carrot, I'll wait for the cheapest option tooor until the whole thing is released, I hope they stack up and gather dust in their warehouse until they loose their shirts on this BS gimmick they are peddaling. I'll be in my 60s by the time these clowns are done playing their games . . . yes I'm jaded, got excited only to be let down . . . all within a few hours!