Black Country Woman 1977 - Missed Opportunity?

John M

I have sometimes wondered if they missed an opportunity by not having the harmonica solo live on Black Country Woman during the 1977 tour.  Sure, the song works as an energetic short introduction to The Stomp, but it has a great harmonica break on the album.  Plant did well with the harmonica during Nobody's Fault on the tour.  I am glad they played Black Country Woman live, but I think it could have been something really special if Plant blasted that harmonica.  I don't think two songs with harmonica in one show would have been too much.  Yes, in the studio version Plant vocalizes during parts of his two harmonica breaks but so what?  I think it would have been great live and a nice touch to the 1977 shows.  The bass, drums, guitar and vocals were all song strong in the 1977 versions.  What do you think?

Truth be told, I usually skip the studio version of BCW (nice touch with Eddie Kramer at the start). Beyond that, the live one definitely kicks the shit out of it, but I do wish it would've been longer just for more of Bonzo's foot pedal before the Stomp; but I won't complain too much...

😉

Yep, good call. As much as I love BYAS I love BCW even more plus it was the first, and last tour they played it live. They should have ditched BYAS and played a complete BCW. My dream would have been an acoustic set with GTC, BCW, BYA (gorgeous pastoral Page solo piece), and either Four Sticks or the alternate WTLB.

Well, at least they played it all the way through once, in Seattle on June 19, 1972...

But yes, I wish they had played it all the way through before BYAS in '77.  I'm not a big fan of shortening songs like that in general--sort of like how they bastardized WLL in '77 (& '75 to a certain extent)...

On 5/19/2018 at 12:02 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

Well, at least they played it all the way through once, in Seattle on June 19, 1972...

Thanks for the reminder.  It has been so long since I listened to that show.  I know it is a classic but I never really developed "bootleg ears" despite years of trying.  For lower quality recordings I generally listen once or twice just to see if there are any surprises, but then as the years go by I forget, obviously.  I should have rechecked Luis Rey's book - it is listed there.  In the back of his book he says it was "played infrequently" on the 1972 US tour, but it is listed only for the Seattle June 19 show, but then again many of the tapes for the other shows are incomplete.

In any case, I did go back and listen to it and it was great, just no harmonica as far as I could tell.      

1 hour ago, John M said:

Thanks for the reminder.  It has been so long since I listened to that show.  I know it is a classic but I never really developed "bootleg ears" despite years of trying.  For lower quality recordings I generally listen once or twice just to see if there are any surprises, but then as the years go by I forget, obviously.  I should have rechecked Luis Rey's book - it is listed there.  In the back of his book he says it was "played infrequently" on the 1972 US tour, but it is listed only for the Seattle June 19 show, but then again many of the tapes for the other shows are incomplete.

In any case, I did go back and listen to it and it was great, just no harmonica as far as I could tell.      

Right, yes I don't remember harmonica on it.  That's fair about the bootleg ears, but I've always felt that 6/19/72 is one of the few where the performance demands fighting through the inferior sound quality.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

But yes, I wish they had played it all the way through before BYAS in '77.  I'm not a big fan of shortening songs like that in general--sort of like how they bastardized WLL in '77 (& '75 to a certain extent)...

Might be what I hate MOST about '77.  Those truncated versions of WLL for the encore are just awful.

Hear me out here... just imagine hearing Ramble On as an encore in 77.  How amazing could that have been had they been able to pull that off?  Ramble On might've been the best part of those 98 P/P shows.  Just killer!

34 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

Might be what I hate MOST about '77.  Those truncated versions of WLL for the encore are just awful.

Hear me out here... just imagine hearing Ramble On as an encore in 77.  How amazing could that have been had they been able to pull that off?  Ramble On might've been the best part of those 98 P/P shows.  Just killer!

Yeah, that would've been pretty sweet.  I would've been happy with "It'll Be Me" every night lol.

Archived