What one song would you choose for Led Zeppelin to be remembered by ?

On September 26, 2018 at 8:54 PM, Blaize86 said:

Achilles Last Stand or The Rover. I'm leaning towards The Rover since ALS has been accused for being too long. Short and sweet, powerful yet almost humble in a way is -  The Rover. The band is tight. There is a very strong melody Plant sings in a very very tough register and as a singer myself I know not many can sing that. Page and the the band give a heavy , heavy intro with a blistering melody with Bonzo and Jones tight as ever in 1974. Jimmy and Bonzo are locked in and this is a great example of how John plays with Jimmy and not Jones most of the time. . It's like a B- side song where not many typical radio listeners have heard it but when they do they realize why Zeppelin is so good. The bottom sound on this, being recorded in 1974 , is beyond incredible feat for Jimmy. It could have been recorded in 2017.  I remember the day after John died , Carol Milller played Ten Years Gone- STH- The Rover on the 26th of Sept , day after , in 102.7 in NYC. I had just become s fan and this song means so much to me. 

His solo is somewhat short and precise for Jimmy's standards and to the point using remarkable tone and phrasing. The killer is the end of the song leaning towards the outdo when Bonzo and Jones add some spontaneous off timing accents showing off the funk of the band. Now it's them two playing together while Page takes off into a improvisation of classic like riffs as Planty fades as his job is well done. A little bit of everything with no domination. A pure band effort. Short powerful melodic pure hard rock Zeppelin. 

Sorry to on so long but it was a great question. 

Great response and description of "the rover". I agree, its a mini epic led zep song, employing alot of great stuff, within a rock song. From the intro, to the lyrics and the musical stages it goes through, until the great outro...to me, its been better than stairway to heaven for decades...its got the slink vibe, to the majestic vibe, in such a cool way that its just great...compared to some of the unbelievably great songs. 

Another great, underrated tune is Night Flight as it shows the band in such a different light. It also sports what is, IMO, the most difficult vocal performance of Plant's career. It is not just the register but how he phrases the lyrics which makes this song a real bitch to sing. He sings in what would be considered contralto which is actually more difficult to sing vs. soprano even though it is a wee bit lower.

I am primarily a guitar player however I also sing and I just cannot nail this song even though I have no problem with Four Sticks or Immigrant Song. I get about halfway through and the vocal chords are just shred. I have asked REAL singers with serious range and they concur. This song is just an amazing and underrated Plant performance.

12 hours ago, IpMan said:

Another great, underrated tune is Night Flight as it shows the band in such a different light. It also sports what is, IMO, the most difficult vocal performance of Plant's career. It is not just the register but how he phrases the lyrics which makes this song a real bitch to sing. He sings in what would be considered contralto which is actually more difficult to sing vs. soprano even though it is a wee bit lower.

I am primarily a guitar player however I also sing and I just cannot nail this song even though I have no problem with Four Sticks or Immigrant Song. I get about halfway through and the vocal chords are just shred. I have asked REAL singers with serious range and they concur. This song is just an amazing and underrated Plant performance.

Night Flight is a totally underrated song. I love it. 

• 5 weeks later...

I think history has already decided it's WLL and STH. If, God forbid any of them die, I would bet my house that the TV news broadcasts would show a clip of one or the other if not both. So I'll leave them two to the rest of the wider world.

It can never be Kashmir for me because of one simple fact. As epic and magnificent as it is, it's missing the one vital ingredient that you need to be the one single legacy track by Led Zeppelin and that's a great solo by the world's greatest ever guitar player who strode the galaxies in dozens of amazing solos. Still bugs me a bit that there isn't a solo. Like the rest of you my take probably changes from day to day depending on what I've listened to last. But I'll give three option.

Achilles Last Stand - guitars from another planet. The way it ends on that guitar picking fading out leaving you contemplating what it was that you just heard and where you'd just been taken.

Over The Hills and Far Away - Live version when Page really lets loose. Any live version.

It can't be NQ either, even the live version because that wonderful dark underworld sound was only in a couple of songs, this and D&C. Led Zeppelin are more defined by the big city levelling riffs and all the blues stuff, including WTLB are only one side to Zep so my third choice for today is:

Black Dog. - the menace of that opening scratch on the strings hinting at what was to come and then what came.

Archived