BONHAM WOULD TURN 70 TODAY

Happy Birthday John Henry Bonham. 🎂🍺

He would have turned 70 years old today. If he had been able to check his alcoholism and survive September 25, 1980, it is still a stretch to think Led Zeppelin would still be going a la the Rolling Stones today.

Eventually, as the '80s and '90s wore on, you think the band would tire of going on the road...especially family men Bonham and Jones.

There's also the question of whether they would have been one of those bands that just keep churning out records and tours like the Stones and U2? Or would they have stopped at some point in the '80s or '90s only to reunite 20 or so years down the road, like Steely Dan or the Stooges or Velvet Underground did?

Not that it matters. While it is tantalizing to think of the music they could have made had Bonham lived, the music they did create from 1968-1980 is more than enough to secure their legacy.

Bonham's death almost felt like losing a family member , even though I was just about to turn 14.  I was all stoked up about seeing them at the Chicago Stadium in Nov. It certainly had a lasting impact.  Bonzo was a huge influence on my decision to become a musician. I really think he would have continued to grow and contribute so much had he lived. I think he would have played with a wide array of artists that he always wanted to play with and would have contributed so much with his unique sound and feel. I made a YouTube channel dedicated to his drumming called BONZOLOGY , and I just posted a version of Moby Dick today in honor of his birthday. Happy Birthday Bonzo, your legacy continues to grow.

Thanks and highest praise. 🙏🏼🔥

8 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Bonham's death almost felt like losing a family member , even though I was just about to turn 14.  I was all stoked up about seeing them at the Chicago Stadium in Nov. It certainly had a lasting impact.  Bonzo was a huge influence on my decision to become a musician. I really think he would have continued to grow and contribute so much had he lived. I think he would have played with a wide array of artists that he always wanted to play with and would have contributed so much with his unique sound and feel. I made a YouTube channel dedicated to his drumming called BONZOLOGY , and I just posted a version of Moby Dick today in honor of his birthday. Happy Birthday Bonzo, your legacy continues to grow.

:goodpost:

Have fun tonight George!!

8 hours ago, porgie66 said:

George, your channel is one of the my go tos for drums on YouTube. Keep on rocking, and tell Terry to lay off the caffeine. 😃

12 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Bonham's death almost felt like losing a family member , even though I was just about to turn 14.

Exactly. That's what it felt like. In fact, I cried more when Bonham died than when my dad passed away.

That's why no matter who they had playing drums, I considered none of the reunions a true "Led Zeppelin".

Jaaon, by way of being family, came the closest but it still was miles from what John Henry brought to the table. I'm not just speaking in terms of sound but what he brought to the band visually, too. 

Watching John Bonham work his kit was a large part of the special aura of a Led Zeppelin concert. Even better if your seats were close enough to hear him growl and curse and banter with Jimmy, Robert and Jonesy.

To me I find the situation regarding John Bonham very sad. Such an amazing drummer with a fire that could not be sustained. His drinking was his swan song. Reading from Richard Cole Book Stairway to heaven, he makes Bonzo look like a total drunk. By passes the fact the man was a loving father, a caring husband, and a brother and son. Bonham to me would have retired on his farm with his wife Pat, sing songs as a golden sun goes down. Happy Birthday Mr. Bonham.

547D76B9-0EA1-4A2D-9129-9E6D81E86140 (1).jpeg

Being a drummer and a Zep fan my entire life his influence is on every recording I ever did with bands I was in through out the years.  I never got to see the man and it's an ache in my heart that he was lost to his family and the MILLIONS that adore him from the likes of Dave Grohl, Mike Portnoy and Stephen Perkins to guys like Porgie (Thanks for the vid today:) and all the way down to scrubs like myself. 

Legend. .

Thank you Mr. Bonham. .  RIP

john_bonham.jpg

6 hours ago, 76229 said:

George, your channel is one of the my go tos for drums on YouTube. Keep on rocking, and tell Terry to lay off the caffeine. 😃

Thanks, most of the time that's just his own natural gas....but caffeine is like nitrous oxide for him! 

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Exactly. That's what it felt like. In fact, I cried more when Bonham died than when my dad passed away.

That's why no matter who they had playing drums, I considered none of the reunions a true "Led Zeppelin".

Jaaon, by way of being family, came the closest but it still was miles from what John Henry brought to the table. I'm not just speaking in terms of sound but what he brought to the band visually, too. 

Watching John Bonham work his kit was a large part of the special aura of a Led Zeppelin concert. Even better if your seats were close enough to hear him growl and curse and banter with Jimmy, Robert and Jonesy.

Well said, Bonzo definitely broke the cast. A totally unique combination of sound, feel, chops, groove, musical sensibility on the drums. 

I am actually sad for this unfortunate Milestone. 

The one that I am certain of is the fact that John Bonham will go down in World History as the Greatest and Most Influential Drummer of All-Time. His Drumming and Influence will be copied and emulated for Centuries.

• 2 weeks later...

His demons were not uncommon for many of his peers at that time.  Sadly, they got the better of him that fateful night in Windsor.  I'd like to think that had he not fallen asleep on his back that night, we would have seen him continue to develop his remarkable skills.  I fully recall from what I read in the media before his death that he was doing some amazing stuff.  Even Pete Townshend, a well-known Zeppelin critic, made a comment about witnessing some amazing drumming from Bonham.  As for the future of Zep had he lived, well that's a debate we could have forever.  I have always liked to think that the band could have developed into a loose ongoing arrangement, whereby solo projects could be pursued with formal new album and tour every 5 years.   

Oh what could have been, a huge talent extinguished and a father / husband wretched away from his family.

I truly believe has Bonzo lived and Jimmy not succumbed but stayed with the established historical arch and cleaning up by 84' that the band would have still went on a lengthy hiatus after the second leg of the 81' American tour. Robert would have pursued his solo project, Bonzo would have retired to his farm to be with his family and watch his children grow up. As mentioned above, I figure Zep would reunite every five years or so for a short tour and maybe some new music ala Steely Dan but I seriously doubt they would have continued on like the Stones or Who.

I could see Bonzo collaborating with several musicians and going that route on his own. I doubt he would have agreed to tour until his kids were grown if he survived and sobered up as I believe the clarity would have given him the strength to say no and stay with his family.

Damn I miss Bonzo and what he could have been, both as a sober man and musician.

I don't see how Jimmy would have survived past an American tour given his and Grant's abuse of substance at the time. I say Grant because he is the guy who most likely could have pulled Jimmy back from the brink, maybe even turned him around. But was unfortunately out there with him (from what I read).

Sadly it seemed destined to be a tragic end one way or the other. But I do not dwell on this tremendously sad period. Lets celebrate the greatest drummer we will ever know. The man who contributed more to a AAA Rock outfit more than any other will ever do.

The man who helped create some of the most powerful and memorable pieces of music in history.

The man who drinks Heineken.

The Rhinestone cowgirl.

The greatest rock drummer in the history of mankind.

The man who drummed on such epic "drummer" tracks such as....

Achilles Last Stand

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

The Rover

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Good Times Bad Times

Since I've Been Loving You

Fool in the rain

.....ALL the others I have not mentioned.

What an absolute LEGEND. BEST EVER.

Archived