bass or guitar?

thatguynamedjosh247

hello, everyone! so, there's this question i've been asking myself for some time now, and the question is: "should i play guitar or bass?". i've been playing guitar for 3 years now, and i've gotten quite good actually, but recently i haven't been able to progress much and i'm losing my skill. on the other hand, i developed a love for bass and i am learning a lot relatively quickly and it's really fun. however, i've worked very hard to get where i am on guitar, and i still relatively enjoy it. i don't know what i should do, so i'm asking you guys what should i do. also, which one do you play and why? also, also,  which ones cooler? lol

4 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

How's it going Josh from Louisville?

Guitar seems to get more recognition and praise from others depending on the genre and setting.

It seems bass gets more recognition from yourself, because you love it and it's fun. Why not do what you love?

3 hours ago, Zepfan2001 said:

They are practically identical so it shouldn't be much fuss to play both. Bass is suited for people with larger hands but you can get one in the size you need, same with guitar.

thanks for the advice guys, the reason i'm so torn is because i love them both equally at this point, but my love for bass is growing, and also, i believe that if i get better at guitar i might find it more enjoyable

2 minutes ago, thatguynamedjosh247 said:

thanks for the advice guys, the reason i'm so torn is because i love them both equally at this point, but my love for bass is growing, and also, i believe that if i get better at guitar i might find it more enjoyable

God bless you.

Both are great and I would suggest giving the bass a try as your primary but still play the guitar as well. IMO a great guitarist are a dime a dozen, everyone wants to be the person up front and rock the house but bass is a whole different world. The bass and drums lead the band and call the beat, the pulse of which the guitar typically follows. Now great bass players are hard as hell to find so depending on what you want to do as a musician, bass would be the better choice if you want to play professionally. Plus, all the really good bass players out there can do stuff on the bass which is simply amazing. Listen to JPJ's Zooma and Thunderthief; or Marcus Miler's Tales to get an idea of some of the funk you can get out of the bass.

Plus, secret fact...the bass players always get the best ladies. Its because they got the groove going on.

Guitar is more about being creative and expressive. Bass is more about laying down a foundation and feeling the rhythm when playing live.  People who are naturally inclined toward guitar usually feel limited when playing bass because it's less expressive. It's a different mindset.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Plus, secret fact...the bass players always get the best ladies. Its because they got the groove going on.

By "best" he means the ones who stay home and get the kids ready for school lmao.

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

Both are great and I would suggest giving the bass a try as your primary but still play the guitar as well. IMO a great guitarist are a dime a dozen, everyone wants to be the person up front and rock the house but bass is a whole different world. The bass and drums lead the band and call the beat, the pulse of which the guitar typically follows. Now great bass players are hard as hell to find so depending on what you want to do as a musician, bass would be the better choice if you want to play professionally. Plus, all the really good bass players out there can do stuff on the bass which is simply amazing. Listen to JPJ's Zooma and Thunderthief; or Marcus Miler's Tales to get an idea of some of the funk you can get out of the bass.

what a good idea, great advice! will take it into account.

I'm honestly the perfect example of "should I play bass or guitar". BASS. As someone who's done both, guitar gets old sometimes. Bass? It never gets old. And I've always had more fun playing a sweet bass line than going on a mountain climbing adventure trying to do some wild guitar solo, with hit or miss results. Play bass man. You could be an excellent guitarist, but in my opinion, you'll be HAPPY playing bass. And I think it is way funner.

Plus, people are gonna want you. They'll NEED you. 

I've never enjoyed any instrument I've played more than a bass guitar. Gotta have a decent drummer to play with though. And THAT, my friends, is FUN. Or play drums. 😜

Just don't let them turn you down and play loud. 

If you want the main share of your bands attention then play guitar, if you want to hang in the back and enjoy less demands on your attention, play bass. I would choose bass and take the smaller share of the spotlight because that's just the way I am, I ain't no frontman.

29 minutes ago, Zepfan2001 said:

If you want the main share of your bands attention then play guitar, if you want to hang in the back and enjoy less demands on your attention, play bass. I would choose bass and take the smaller share of the spotlight because that's just the way I am, I ain't no frontman.

Unless you are a serious funkmeister like Bootsy, aggressive as hell like Flea, or a goddamned maniacal virtuoso genius like Les Claypool that is. Those fuckers DOMINATE!

10 hours ago, Zepfan2001 said:

9 hours ago, IpMan said:

Unless you are a serious funkmeister like Bootsy, aggressive as hell like Flea, or a goddamned maniacal virtuoso genius like Les Claypool that is. Those fuckers DOMINATE!

i want to stay in the background, but get some recognition nonetheless. kind of like paul mccartney, or john entwistle. but, since i'm already good at guitar, i wouldn't have that dilemma if i stayed with guitar.

Archived