Thefts of recordings from Jimmy Page's home...

Do we know any more about these thefts? Was it a specific theft or thefts over time? Has all the material stolen made its way into the public sphere? Was the matter ever resolved or prosecuted? I've heard several stories over the years about who and what but have yet to hear anything confirmed. Anyone know more?

I wonder if Jimmy ever reached out those holding the physical media. Or even if the people who ended up with them were known (Bootleg queen gave them up to Jimmy) and they were returned in agreement to keep the cops out of it - and the bootleggers obviously got a gen1 copy done.

you never know. I'd love an interviewer to point blank ask Jimmy about it all.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Hey Steve - thanks for that. Do you know (of the theft) if anyone has been able to put together a list (after the fact) of the stuff that's out there that came from those thefts?

53 minutes ago, DogsoverLava said:

Hey Steve - thanks for that. Do you know (of the theft) if anyone has been able to put together a list (after the fact) of the stuff that's out there that came from those thefts?

Dave Lewis should have a pretty good idea seeing as it was he took it upon himself to provide Jimmy replacement copies from bootleg recordings, circa 1999 if memory serves correct. Don't quote me on this, but generally speaking, it was most if not all of the 1980 Led Zeppelin soundboards which were released by the Toasted Condor label circa 1989 and everything else released by them, to include older shows and studio outtakes, among other things.  

http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.com/2017/03/led-zeppelin-toasted-1980-soundboard.html

http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/CONDOR_1980

One other thing I'll mention is despite Jimmy having said his early Outrider demos were stolen, very little comes to mind as far as bootleg recordings. There is this Outtake though, Judas Touch, which is quite good actually.

Here are the facts. Jimmy Page did go to court over these bootlegs being sold. 

he seizure of CDs and DVDs included counterfeit Led Zeppelin material valued at an estimated £11,500, a £220 set of recordings from a Led Zeppelin tour in Japan and a £40 set of a warm-up session in Denmark. It also included an estimated £1,790

BPI anti-piracy manager David Wood welcomed Langley's conviction. "Langley was notorious in the trade for the sale and distribution of bootlegs and is another of the major bootleggers to be convicted. He'd amassed a huge personal fortune by ripping off musicians, record labels, music publishers, and the state, but justice has finally caught up with him," he said.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/led_zep_piracy_conviction/

1 hour ago, strombringer101 said:

Here are the facts. Jimmy Page did go to court over these bootlegs being sold. 

he seizure of CDs and DVDs included counterfeit Led Zeppelin material valued at an estimated £11,500, a £220 set of recordings from a Led Zeppelin tour in Japan and a £40 set of a warm-up session in Denmark. It also included an estimated £1,790

BPI anti-piracy manager David Wood welcomed Langley's conviction. "Langley was notorious in the trade for the sale and distribution of bootlegs and is another of the major bootleggers to be convicted. He'd amassed a huge personal fortune by ripping off musicians, record labels, music publishers, and the state, but justice has finally caught up with him," he said.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/led_zep_piracy_conviction/

Fair enough, but just to clarify Robert Langley had nothing to do with the theft of the recordings. 

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

One other thing I'll mention is despite Jimmy having said his early Outrider demos were stolen, very little comes to mind as far as bootleg recordings. There is this Outtake though, Judas Touch, which is quite good actually.

Who is the singer on this track? It sure does not sound like John Miles.

23 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It's seems like kind of a mystery what happened to those tapes. Seems hard to believe that any other Outrider demos/outtakes are being possibly hoarded by someone after all these years.

21 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

It's seems like kind of a mystery what happened to those tapes. Seems hard to believe that any other Outrider demos/outtakes are being possibly hoarded by someone after all these years.

Yes. Indeed. Maybe a few of those other Outrider demos/outtakes feature RP or other well known musicians ??? 

R😎

23 hours ago, reids said:

Yes. Indeed. Maybe a few of those other Outrider demos/outtakes feature RP or other well known musicians ??? 

R😎

Jimmy has confirmed only three vocalists contributed to the album (Farlowe, Miles and Plant) and it's highly unlikely Plant was on any demos (or even alternate takes), as he only added lyrics and vocals to The Only One which he received in completed form. Other musicians credited below.

Musicians

11 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy has confirmed only three vocalists contributed to the album (Farlowe, Miles and Plant) and it's highly unlikely Plant was on any demos (or even alternate takes), as he only added lyrics and vocals to The Only One which he received in completed form. Other musicians credited below.

Musicians

Thanks for confirming, Steve.

R😎👍

we know that age claims that he had some tapes stolen while he was working on his solo album and that he had originally intended for it to be a double album, but has the theft ever been confirmed or was it just another of what we now know as his "stretching of the truth" to put it diplomatically

1 minute ago, jsj said:

we know that age claims that he had some tapes stolen while he was working on his solo album and that he had originally intended for it to be a double album, but has the theft ever been confirmed or was it just another of what we now know as his "stretching of the truth" to put it diplomatically

I must admit, that did cross my mind too.

17 minutes ago, jsj said:

We know for certain a couple he entrusted to assist him and look after Scarlet while touring with The Firm orchestrated a massive theft of recordings from his residence over a period of time. It isn't clear how much Outrider demo material was stolen, as little to none has entered circulation, but he claims it was enough to prevent Outrider from being a double album as originally intended. Personally, I feel that particular claim is probably overstated. I can't see Geffen supporting a double-LP/CD initial solo album under any circumstances. I can see them supporting two separate solo releases a year or two apart. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 11:34 PM, SteveAJones said:

Musicians

Barlow ,Barlow....... was he the drummer for Jethro Tull? or ? didnt Plant also utilize him on some solo material?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, SteveAJones said:

Dave Lewis should have a pretty good idea seeing as it was he took it upon himself to provide Jimmy replacement copies from bootleg recordings, circa 1999 if memory serves correct. Don't quote me on this, but generally speaking, it was most if not all of the 1980 Led Zeppelin soundboards which were released by the Toasted Condor label circa 1989 and everything else released by them, to include older shows and studio outtakes, among other things.  

http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.com/2017/03/led-zeppelin-toasted-1980-soundboard.html

http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/CONDOR_1980

Was not Lewis who provided the replacements.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, z1inspector said:

Barlow ,Barlow....... was he the drummer for Jethro Tull? or ? didnt Plant also utilize him on some solo material?

Yes.  Same guy.  Incredible drummer too.  Barriemore Barlow played on 2 tracks on Principle Of Moments..

Archived