New Yardbirds

Has anyone heard or know of any footage or realse or anything Jimmy Page might be putting out anything that was under the New Yardbirds title I have only seen two on YouTube which was  I gotta move and I can't quit you babe I love the absolute rawness of Plant's voice and the sound produced by Jimmy's telecaster

New Yardbirds footage on YouTube - and on bootlegs and everywhere else - claims to be from October '68, but it's not. If memory serves, it's from parts of two shows in '69. One is from mid-March.

• 1 month later...

Trying to search for a suitable thread for this photo and this one seems best...

img275.jpg.c85dc794553ec272021aa4edd03ef985.jpg

50 years ago the breakup of The Yardbirds was complete. They played their last gig July 7, 1968 at Luton Technical College in England. Shortly afterward, Keith Relf and Jim McCarty announced they were taking their talents to oblivion.

What I find interesting about this announcement published in the press is how Jimmy Page was already thinking of using mellotron and unusual sounds for his new group. This refutes the cheap criticism employed by Rolling Stone and other critics that Led Zeppelin was just riding the coattails of the Jeff Beck Group and Cream...that Led Zeppelin stole their sound from those other groups.

Jimmy Page was already thinking ahead of the curve even before he had the band together.

So he was looking for a vocalist/keyboardist.  Can't see old Percy tinkling the ivories, but I do recall he did a little pub piano during his hiatus from the band after his son passed away.  Anyway, fortunately he found a great vocalist and an amazing bassist/keyboardist/arranger/musicologist instead. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, NealR2000 said:

So he was looking for a vocalist/keyboardist. 

This could explain how/why future Mott The Hoople singer/piano player, Ian Hunter, got involved in Mickie Most's short-lived alternative 'New Yardbirds.' 
Not sure of the timing but, apparently, after Jimmy said he wasn't interested in Hunter, Mickie Most hired him and a handful of cronies
(Johnny Gilpin on lead vocals, Mick Strode on guitar and Dave Dufort on drums - Hunter appears to have played bass!) and created a rival New Yardbirds. 
According to Hunter, they were 'paid wages for about a month' but sat around idling and then Most saw the folly and gave it up.
Strange thought.

16 minutes ago, Brigante said:

This could explain how/why future Mott The Hoople singer/piano player, Ian Hunter, got involved in Mickie Most's short-lived alternative 'New Yardbirds.' 
Not sure of the timing but, apparently, after Jimmy said he wasn't interested in Hunter, Mickie Most hired him and a handful of cronies
(Johnny Gilpin on lead vocals, Mick Strode on guitar and Dave Dufort on drums - Hunter appears to have played bass!) and created a rival New Yardbirds. 
According to Hunter, they were 'paid wages for about a month' but sat around idling and then Most saw the folly and gave it up.
Strange thought.

I bet Mickie Most's idea was to have them do the circuit for the old school Yardbirds fans who didn't buy in to the evolution into Zep. Do For Your Love etc. Presumably Dreja would then have had a quiet word? Or maybe Mickie just got bored and moved onto the next thing. 

On 7/13/2018 at 9:55 AM, Strider said:

50 years ago the breakup of The Yardbirds was complete. They played their last gig July 7, 1968 at Luton Technical College in England. Shortly afterward, Keith Relf and Jim McCarty announced they were taking their talents to oblivion.

Wait!  You mean the last Yardbirds show was on the same date (July 7th) as the last Led Zeppelin show?

Archived