World Cup 2018 (Russia) Contest

LedZeppfan1977

18 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

First, thanks for taking my belated entry.

He got called for that handball because you can't have your arm extended from your torso  - if you do and the ball hits it, they call it a handball 99.9% of the time.

It was bad luck for Spain; they did carry the play today. However, you have to put the ball in the net. All credit to Russia for hanging in long enough to gut out the win.

But do you really get any fear from them?  They only scored a goal because of a lucky call.  They wont beat Croatia.  No way.  And England will smash all of them.  

12 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

But do you really get any fear from them?  They only scored a goal because of a lucky call.  They wont beat Croatia.  No way.  And England will smash all of them.  

Well, they are to be feared in as much as they are the host nation - home field helps. It does in almost all sports. Talent-wise, I agree; Russia is not fearsome, but they have an overwhelming advantage in any stadium during this tournament. I also think that Croatia will beat them. And I hope that England gets past both Colombia and (hopefully) Croatia - neither match-up is a pushover though...

Don't do it.

Seppuku, sometimes referred to as harakiri, is a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment. It was originally reserved for samurai, but was also practiced by other Japanese people later on to restore honor for themselves or for their family.

18 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Well, they are to be feared in as much as they are the host nation - home field helps. It does in almost all sports. Talent-wise, I agree; Russia is not fearsome, but they have an overwhelming advantage in any stadium during this tournament. I also think that Croatia will beat them. And I hope that England gets past both Colombia and (hopefully) Croatia - neither match-up is a pushover though...

I thought Belgium would destroy Japan.  They came back like a buzz saw.  Showed their talent and grit.  England playing well so far but I sure would feel better with the lead.  Lets hope they score soon

OK, second round is over.

JTM   6 correct  18 pts     30 total

LedZed66    6 correct   18 pts   30

For Evermore  5 correct  15 pts     27

Remi       4 correct     12 pts      24

LedZeppfan77  3 correct😭  9 pts    22

Zeppcoda (played only rd 2)   3 correct   9 pts  

Next round 5 points pr game 

I went from the Penthouse to the shit house😀

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Should we post our predictions for the quarterfinals yet?

35 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

Yes we can do that. I was getting ready to post the matchups.  But I am sure most of you know.  So by all means, feel free to do so.  5 points per win i think is fair the way we have gone.  Those that picked Germany cannot get the big points of 25.  I know there are 2 for France, 1 for Russia at least (crazy IMO), 1 for Belgium (very good pick) and my pick is England )fabulous!!!!  LOL

So

England vs Sweden

Croatia vs Russia

Belgium vs Brazil

France vs Uruguay

some great games

2 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Apparently I’m out so I won’t be continuing based on the leaderboard posted.

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yes we can do that. I was getting ready to post the matchups.  But I am sure most of you know.  So by all means, feel free to do so.  5 points per win i think is fair the way we have gone.  Those that picked Germany cannot get the big points of 25.  I know there are 2 for France, 1 for Russia at least (crazy IMO), 1 for Belgium (very good pick) and my pick is England )fabulous!!!!  LOL

So

England vs Sweden

Croatia vs Russia

Belgium vs Brazil

France vs Uruguay

some great games

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So

England vs Sweden

Croatia vs Russia

Belgium vs Brazil

France vs Uruguay

some great games

OK - my fearless picks:

Sweden (it pains me to put that because, in my heart of hearts, I want England to win; in terms of this competition, however, I have to put the team I think will win, not just the team I want to win)

Croatia

Belgium

France (this is the best matchup, IMHO - if Cavani is fully healthy, Uruguay has a chance)

Well I am not afraid of Sweden nor are the odds makers in Vegas who have England a heavier favorite to win this match than the Columbian match.  So what are you afraid of?  Sweden might be a bit tougher on defense than Columbia but they are not as good offensively IMO.  England should be a confident bunch after surviving that nightmare.   Columbia tying it with a minute left and then England never lost their composure.  They were down in PK's with two kicks left.  Usually that means you can pack your bags.  But Pickford rose to the occasion.  Made a save that will go down in English soccer lore.  A masterpiece.  A save England will never forget.  I am a bit disappointed they did not use my boy Vardy in the PK's.  I mean, why not for Gods sake?  Vardy is as good a striker there is. 

18 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Hi LedZeppfan1977, thank you for the maths but I think you forgot Walter.

My picks: (Unconvinced, but I had to pick a team)

England

Russia

Belgium

France

Still hoping for better matches! :ahhh:

Congratulations to England. Feels great to survive a penalty shoot-out, isn't it? :drinks:

1 hour ago, LedZed66 said:

Hi LedZeppfan1977, thank you for the maths but I think you forgot Walter.

My picks: (Unconvinced, but I had to pick a team)

England

Russia

Belgium

France

Still hoping for better matches! :ahhh:

Congratulations to England. Feels great to survive a penalty shoot-out, isn't it? :drinks:

OMG.  I did the math on Walter but somehow got side traced.  

Walter had 4 correct in rd 2.  12 pts and sits with 23 points.   One ahead of me leaving me in last place.  

20 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So updated its JTM  30

LedZed66     30

ForEvermore  27

Remi      24

Walter  23

LedZeppfan77       22

And Zepcoda with 9

Zepcoda, you need to pick a team to win it all.  I should have had you do it before the last round.  But 25 points awarded for that if you get the winner.  I will pm you

My apologies to Walter as somehow after doing all the math, I did not list him.  My mistake.  

17 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

England  

Russia

Belgium 

France 

Zepcoda!!!!!  Read above!!!!  YOU MUST CHOSE A TEAM TO WIN IT ALL!!!!!! I should have told you to do this in last round.  Now you only have 8 to chose from.  We had 32

2 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Zepcoda!!!!!  Read above!!!!  YOU MUST CHOSE A TEAM TO WIN IT ALL!!!!!! I should have told you to do this in last round.  Now you only have 8 to chose from.  We had 32

Not easy... I'm thinking I like France's defense.  They remind my of the late 90's NJ Devils.

France to win it all.

Archived