World Cup 2018 (Russia) Contest

LedZeppfan1977

Nobody else has picked Belgium but me but I know ForEvermore is going to.  He has them going all the way.   So ForEvermore and Remi I believe you have to put your third round picks in.  I best pm you .   Tomorrow morning is the huge matchup between Belgium and Brazil.  Should be a great match!  

On 6/10/2018 at 7:45 PM, ForEvermore said:

Group A   Uruguay - Egypt

Group B   Portugal - Spain

Group C   France - Australia

Group D   Argentina - Croatia

Group E   Brazil - Switzerland (IMHO, this is the "group of death")

Group F   Germany - Sweden

Group G   Belgium - England

Group H   Poland - Colombia

predicted champion - Belgium

On 7/4/2018 at 1:08 AM, ForEvermore said:

OK - my fearless picks:

Sweden (it pains me to put that because, in my heart of hearts, I want England to win; in terms of this competition, however, I have to put the team I think will win, not just the team I want to win)

Croatia

Belgium

France (this is the best matchup, IMHO - if Cavani is fully healthy, Uruguay has a chance)

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Nobody else has picked Belgium but me but I know ForEvermore is going to.  He has them going all the way.   So ForEvermore and Remi I believe you have to put your third round picks in.  I best pm you .   Tomorrow morning is the huge matchup between Belgium and Brazil.  Should be a great match!  

My picks for the next round are above.

I picked Belgium all the way back on page 1 (quoted above - you picked England there, by the way ;)), and I'm sticking with it.

6 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

My picks for the next round are above.

I picked Belgium all the way back on page 1 (quoted above - you picked England there, by the way ;)), and I'm sticking with it.

I got them.  You are the only one picking Sweden and I am praying you crash and burn on that one.  Vegas is on my side and that always helps.  To me the true tossup is Belgium and Brazil.  I think Brazil is getting too much credit here and not enough for Belgium.  Perhaps its because they did not blow out Japan as most of expected.  But the way they did not panic and came back and stuffed them in the dirt was so impressive. I believe this game goes over the total of 2.5 goals. I do not comprehend how anyone can take this game under.  Both teams know how to score.  And asking for 3 goals is not that tough here.  I can see Croatia scoring 2 and shutting Russia down.  England and Sweden? I expect Sweden to try and keep most of their players back and stop an early push by a more talented England team.  If Kane or another guy can put one in early, it could cause Sweden to panic a bit?  And then they will have to open up to some degree.  The game I really am not sure of the way it will go is France and Uruguay.  But France really impressed me in the last game. If they fall somehow it will really mess up some here as 3 of our group have them going all the way.  It could even be 4 but I cant remember off the top of my head who Zepcoda picked to go all the way?  I know their is a Belgium pick in there.  And that makes a ton of sense also.  Not sure if anyone has Brazil?  I have to go see.

Edit here.   i see Zepcoda IS picking France.  That makes 4.  No love for Brazil here. So 4 for France, 1 for Belgium, and 1 for England, yours truly.  Only one is eliminated from the tile winner, that is Walter.  Sorry pal.  He had Germany and who could blame him.  

All you France supporters your knees will be a knockin tomorrrow mornin!!!!😀 I have them to win tomorrow too.  I think maybe one person has Uruguay?   The afternoon game is the one I am looking forward to seeing.  Belgium and Brazil should be a dandy.  Good luck all

Well France is now the favorite and closely behind them Belgium and then England.  Croatia is the 4th choice and Russia and Sweden are long shots.  The game between France and Belgium is going to be very tough to pick.  They both can really come at you on the counter.  France might have a bit more speed, but I would not sell Belgium short at all with their strike ability.  I only wonder about their coach and his unwillingness to put in fresh bodies. It could haunt him vs a speedy French team?  I will sit back and cheer on England in the morning and then Croatia, for other reasons than loyalty.  $

Once this round ends tomorrow I will do the math, and then we will proceed with the next round, the semi final.  We will award 15 points for those games.  And will have to pick the scores for tie breakers.  If you get the exact total goals for that game correct we will get an extra 10 points.  Suggestions welcome  of course.

Yes, France actually concerns me more versus Belgium than Brazil did. This Brazil team doesn't have the shutdown defense and goalkeeping like their 2002 and 1994 teams did.

The other half, IMHO, is wide open.

Winning the WC is a fantastic achievement anytime, but there is a downside to winning this 2018 tournament. Whoever wins gets automatic qualification to play in the next WC in Qatar. Does anyone want to be there ? I don't think any team would look forward to playing there it's just too fucking hot. The decision to hold WC 2022 there stinks.. It all looks a bit bent as nine bob note, as we say here in England..

OK  here are the updated standings folks.

LedZed66  (3/4) 15 pts                   45    🇫🇷  and our new leader

LedZeppfan77  (4/4)  20 pts          42    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ForEvermore     (3/4)  15  pts          42    Belgium

JTM    (2/4)   10 pts                         40     🇫🇷

Remi    (3/4) 15 pts                          39     France

Walter    (3/4)   15 pts                     38     🇩🇪

Zepscoda  (3/4)   15 pts                24     🇫🇷     (in the race even though he missed week 1)

Next round we pick the score of the game and the total will be used.   20 points for winning team.  And 10 extra if you pick total goals of the match.   Rules for the final game will be determined soon.   Thanks.  And Go England!!!!:yay:

I attempted to place the flag of the country each picked to win it all in front of each member name?  If I got it wrong please let me know.  I did it on memory rather than go digging.  I know 4 had France and Walter had Germany.  I am shocked no Brazil.  

I had Remi and ForEvermore final winner mixed up, cannot get emoticons to appear on an edit

God, these two semifinals are both coinflip games...

First, thank you, Croatia, for knocking out Russia - they were the only team left that I didn't want to win the WC. I'd be happy for any of the four teams left to win it. Of course, I'd be happier if Belgium (because I picked them) or England (because I always root for them when the USA is knocked out/isn't in in the first place) win it all.

Geez...I guess I have to make a specific choice. OK, here goes...

Belgium 2-1 France

Croatia 3-2 England

(If it seems strange that I picked Croatia, see my explanation for my choice of Sweden in the last round. Same thinking.)

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 conquered We decided it’s time to stand up  and be counted 🥅 in the face of a strong 💪 history and unite commonwealth 🇬🇧 fans from all over the world 🌎 win or lose this team leaves it all on the pitch - we celebrate 🎉 🎊 here in Canada 🇨🇦 as they are our team once again this World Cup 🏆

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

OK  here are the updated standings folks.

LedZed66  (3/4) 15 pts                   45    🇫🇷  and our new leader

LedZeppfan77  (4/4)  20 pts          42    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ForEvermore     (3/4)  15  pts          42    Belgium

JTM    (2/4)   10 pts                         40     🇫🇷

Remi    (3/4) 15 pts                          39     France

Walter    (3/4)   15 pts                     38     🇩🇪

Zepscoda  (3/4)   15 pts                24     🇫🇷     (in the race even though he missed week 1)

Next round we pick the score of the game and the total will be used.   20 points for winning team.  And 10 extra if you pick total goals of the match.   Rules for the final game will be determined soon.   Thanks.  And Go England!!!!:yay:

I attempted to place the flag of the country each picked to win it all in front of each member name?  If I got it wrong please let me know.  I did it on memory rather than go digging.  I know 4 had France and Walter had Germany.  I am shocked no Brazil.  

I had Remi and ForEvermore final winner mixed up, cannot get emoticons to appear on an edit

Bumping this thread to make sure all see the standings above.  My picks are as follows.  The Belgium and France game is truly a toss up.  But I have to  go Belgium and England.  My heart and mind both believe England will get it done.  Their size is too much for Croatia and they will beat them from the corners on headers.  Croatia does not have an answer for MacGuire.  None. Nada.  Or for Sterling who will drive them nuts.  I hope they use Jamie Vardy.  He could really help in this matchup.  As for the above member that picked Croatia, that is why this is a contest.  We need some different opinions.  

my picks    England 3    Croatia 1

Belgium 4     France 3

Archived