Jump to content

New "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Deluxe Set


achillestand
 Share

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

It's very obvious that if Jimmy wanted to release that live set he had planned, he would of. Peter would never get in the way of anything in a creative capacity. It's pretty apparent it was Robert who was embarrassed by the sound of them live and has never wanted it out.

but it is out on the DVD, so Planty cant be too much against it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

It's very obvious that if Jimmy wanted to release that live set he had planned, he would of. Peter would never get in the way of anything in a creative capacity. It's pretty apparent it was Robert who was embarrassed by the sound of them live and has never wanted it out.

I'm also convinced it's Robert who is vetoing any live release. Embarrassed about the -not so politically correct- plantations on women, illegal substances and whatnot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, duckman said:

I'm also convinced it's Robert who is vetoing any live release. Embarrassed about the -not so politically correct- plantations on women, illegal substances and whatnot

What release do you think Plant is vetoing?  It is easy to cut out Plantations.  They have done it on just about every live release so far.
They have officially released live material from every year except 1968, 1977 and 1980.  1980 for obvious reasons and for 1977 it might be difficult for Page to cobble together a full set that meets his standards performance wise.  I really enjoy the 77 shows, but there are spots in every show that might give Jimmy pause.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, John M said:

What release do you think Plant is vetoing?  It is easy to cut out Plantations.  They have done it on just about every live release so far.
They have officially released live material from every year except 1968, 1977 and 1980.  1980 for obvious reasons and for 1977 it might be difficult for Page to cobble together a full set that meets his standards performance wise.  I really enjoy the 77 shows, but there are spots in every show that might give Jimmy pause.  

Earl's Court... mainly for the in between songs plantations , but also older stuff like the medley from Montreux 70 where the N word is used (in  Bottle up and Go/Boogie Cillun'). You don't need a PhD in popular culture to place these explicit lyrics in their context, but I can imagine that Robert prefers not to be a associated with these lines this day. Of course Jimmy could edit this, but it would affect the flow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2018 at 6:14 AM, duckman said:

Earl's Court... mainly for the in between songs plantations , but also older stuff like the medley from Montreux 70 where the N word is used (in  Bottle up and Go/Boogie Cillun'). You don't need a PhD in popular culture to place these explicit lyrics in their context, but I can imagine that Robert prefers not to be a associated with these lines this day. Of course Jimmy could edit this, but it would affect the flow.

Robert isn't mentally challenge he knows you can edit out stuff.

It's because he doesn't like Zeppelin stuff being released and it having the spotlight simple as. He never has, not even for the money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Robert isn't mentally challenge he knows you can edit out stuff.

It's because he doesn't like Zeppelin stuff being released and it having the spotlight simple as. He never has, not even for the money.

I may be very mistaken but didn't Plant cash in his stake in Zeppelin some years ago? If that's the case then I can't see him having any veto rights. (or did I dream it?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2018 at 1:14 AM, duckman said:

Earl's Court... mainly for the in between songs plantations , but also older stuff like the medley from Montreux 70 where the N word is used (in  Bottle up and Go/Boogie Cillun'). You don't need a PhD in popular culture to place these explicit lyrics in their context, but I can imagine that Robert prefers not to be a associated with these lines this day. Of course Jimmy could edit this, but it would affect the flow.

Every live Zeppelin release has had nearly every Plantation cut. I don’t think anyone involved cares about affecting the flow of an official release when it come to cutting the between songs chatter. That has zero effect of whether a recording gets released. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KillingFloorBlues said:

Every live Zeppelin release has had nearly every Plantation cut. I don’t think anyone involved cares about affecting the flow of an official release when it come to cutting the between songs chatter. That has zero effect of whether a recording gets released. 

Sure, editing out Plantations has been a part of the policy ever since 'The Song Remains The Same' where before Stairway, "this is a beautiful song..."so shurrup'" was cut out..

What I meant was the use of explicit quotes/lyrics, mostly during medleys. It's no secret that Percy is annoyed by his insistent use of 'baby, baby, ooh baby' s in Zep days

Edited by duckman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite correct Plant wishes Zeppelin would go away and obviously finds the whole thing 

embarrassing . Robert should be careful, his solo career (whether he likes it or not) is inextricably linked 

to the work he did 68-79 without it where would he be? I thought his disinterest in the re releases that lead up to 

TSRTS  spoke volumes and i also bet you wont hear a word about this release from him  either.

Edited by andrew r
missing word
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Brethren and sisters...please, please. Can we show some empathy towards our favorite vocalist of all time?

Imagine an artist in his sixties/seventies who's still active and -to this very day-  manages to entertain thousands of music enthousiasts. This artist -like it or not- loves to perform and record with inspiring musicians and gives a contemporary twist to our great musical heritage, be it folk, world music, R&B, hard rock.

If you were this person, would you be happy to be constantly interviewed/ interrogated on the same 1/5th slice of your career? Be honest, nope...Jimmy is the curator/archivist of Zeppelin and he loves to talk about this particular era. Robert -to put it polite-  cherry picks from his musical past and looks forward. Yep, I'm one of you and I feel frustrated by the fact there's a veritable treasure trove lining the vaults. Oh Yeah...I would be a very happy punter if the gates of delirium would be opened (preferably all at once) during the remains of this 50th anniversary year. And by January 16,  2019 we all are happy indulging these hefty super deluxe boxed sets including Surrey/Marquee, Scandinavia 68, MSG 1970, Japan 1971, Europe 1973, N.America/Earl's Court 1975 and 1977 (Forum, MSG,...). But I'm in my mid fifties now and still feel extremely privileged by the gems that came my way since 1990:Olympic Gold,  Fillmore West 69, Texas Pop, RAH/Montreux 1970, L.A & MSG 1970, Japan 1971, Studio Daze, Bombay Sessions, Europe 73, the 1975 soundboard revolution, the 75/77 Millard archives. let's wait and see

😚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, andrew r said:

Quite correct Plant wishes Zeppelin would go away and obviously finds the whole thing 

embarrassing . Robert should be careful, his solo career (whether he likes it or not) is inextricably linked 

to the work he did 68-79 without it where would he be? I thought his disinterest in the re releases that lead up to 

TSRTS  spoke volumes and i also bet you wont hear a word about this release from him  either.

Pretty much agree with the sentiment ..there would have always been a Zeppelin type creation without Plant (&Bonham) —probably with Page’s first choice of vocalist Terry Reid. Without Jimmy there would have been ..nothing at all ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, duckman said:

Dear Brethren and sisters...please, please. Can we show some empathy towards our favorite vocalist of all time?

Imagine an artist in his sixties/seventies who's still active and -to this very day-  manages to entertain thousands of music enthousiasts. This artist -like it or not- loves to perform and record with inspiring musicians and gives a contemporary twist to our great musical heritage, be it folk, world music, R&B, hard rock. If you were this person, would you be happy to be constantly interviewed/ interrogated on the same 1/5th slice of your career? Be honest, nope...😚

You just described JPJ, and it has never bothered him one bit. In fact, just the opposite. Has anyone ever seen an interview or read an article where JPJ was annoyed over questions about LZ's past present or future in any manner? Be honest, nope...B) 

To me, the difference between RP & JPJ is that one of them is a self confessed ego-maniac and the other...is not. I love them both, but it is what is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, duckman said:

Yep, I'm one of you and I feel frustrated by the fact there's a veritable treasure trove lining the vaults. Oh Yeah...I would be a very happy punter if the gates of delirium would be opened (preferably all at once) during the remains of this 50th anniversary year. And by January 16,  2019 we all are happy indulging these hefty super deluxe boxed sets including Surrey/Marquee, Scandinavia 68, MSG 1970, Japan 1971, Europe 1973, N.America/Earl's Court 1975 and 1977 (Forum, MSG,...). But I'm in my mid fifties now and still feel extremely privileged by the gems that came my way since 1990:Olympic Gold,  Fillmore West 69, Texas Pop, RAH/Montreux 1970, L.A & MSG 1970, Japan 1971, Studio Daze, Bombay Sessions, Europe 73, the 1975 soundboard revolution, the 75/77 Millard archives. let's wait and see

Yes! Good stuff, stay optimistic. I'm also thankful for what we have, and remain hopeful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Paganini said:

Pretty much agree with the sentiment ..there would have always been a Zeppelin type creation without Plant (&Bonham) —probably with Page’s first choice of vocalist Terry Reid. Without Jimmy there would have been ..nothing at all ....

Maybe, it is an interesting idea indeed, however not with Reid. Reid would have lasted maybe three albums and would have quit, likely only two. I love Terry Reid and believe him an extremely gifted writer / singer, however, the guy is essentially the American version of Roy Harper. He does not like fame and wants nothing to do with it, that is why he never became famous. He sabotaged his career several times right when he was on the cusp of fame just so he could simply enjoy his art and NOT become famous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, IpMan said:

Maybe, it is an interesting idea indeed, however not with Reid. Reid would have lasted maybe three albums and would have quit, likely only two. I love Terry Reid and believe him an extremely gifted writer / singer, however, the guy is essentially the American version of Roy Harper. He does not like fame and wants nothing to do with it, that is why he never became famous. He sabotaged his career several times right when he was on the cusp of fame just so he could simply enjoy his art and NOT become famous.

Terry Reid is English, born in Huntingdon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Not long to go until the release of The Song Remains The Same Deluxe Edition… The new version is coming September 7 as a Super Deluxe Boxed Set and other versions – pre-order your copy now. http://lnk.to/tsrts

 

DAMN, I may just have to break down and shell out the dough for this. I mean why not,  This album had a huge impact on my life. I spent so many hours listening to this that makes sense to buy. It's how I got hooked on live Zep and caused me to seek out Bootlegs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

This album had a huge impact on my life. I spent so many hours listening to this that makes sense to buy. It's how I got hooked on live Zep and caused me to seek out Bootlegs.

You are not alone. I'll be shelling out. And I don't yet have a LP player!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...