New "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Deluxe Set

achillestand

On 8/21/2018 at 9:11 PM, IpMan said:

He does not like fame and wants nothing to do with it, that is why he never became famous. He sabotaged his career several times right when he was on the cusp of fame just so he could simply enjoy his art and NOT become famous.

Kinda sounds like what Robert is doing now. Except he became famous first.

Whatever the format is regarding specific tracks, remastering etc I will definitely be buying this. It was my introduction to Zep in 76 when a school friend leant it to me and I was totally blown away by the whole thing and have played it endlessly ever since. Like most of you, I know every note on it and it has been the back drop to my musical life-much much more than a simple live album to me, more like a spiritual experience that gets better with every listening ...bring it on home .

3 hours ago, The Rover said:

Pulled the trigger on the Blu-ray audio disc today. The price dropped to under $21 on Amazon.

That's less than half of what amazon uk are going to charge me. If the £39.99p price hasn't come down by next Wednesday (before the now shipping email arrives) I'm closing the Jack in the Box on this, forty quid (less a penny)is a ridiculous price, besides I'll most likely only play it once or twice anyway. Why do I even want yet another version of TSRTS to add to the 76 LP's, the late 80's VHS the 90's DVD, the 90's fatboy CD's, the 07 double DVD and re-hashed CD's, the Blu-ray from  about 5 years ago. 

23 hours ago, Mook said:

Aye, I've got plenty of other music to be buying without buying this for the umpteenth time.

If he'd added Thank You or something I would've pre-ordered it weeks ago but alas...

Me too, I have on pre order Jethro Tull "This Was" 50th anniversary set, 3 CD's a 5.1 DVD and at least eighty page book all for thirty quid and change, Be Bop Deluxe, 3 CD's a 5.1 DVD a sixty eight page book for forty three quid and change. There is a possible Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks" box set coming this year, maybe a Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" 50th anniversary set coming soon, The "White" album 50th too maybe. [and] Led Zeppelin want forty quid for a one disc set, nah I'm out for that one..

18 hours ago, Urozep said:

Can’t diagaree neither the sentiments. I love zep as we all do but at what point are they taking advantage of their hard core fans? I earn a good salary and can afford this—- but why?????

No one's holding you at gunpoint, don't want to buy it then don't. Simple as.

1 minute ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

No one's holding you at gunpoint, don't want to buy it then don't. Simple as.

Sage advice there young'un, when you've  been buying "Zeppelin" for nearly fifty years you may change your mind.

They have to release TSRTS - they're reissuing the entire catalogue and it's the only audio release remaining. It's not a cash grab or taking advantage of loyal fans, unless you thnk the entire 2014-18 reissue campaign is a cash grab.

The problem isn't another reissue - 11 years isn't forever but it's actually a decent time interval for doing a reissue, especially as part of a comprehensive campaign.

The issue is the edits in some of the tracks, particularly No Quarter and Whole Lotta Love (not to mention Celebration Day and arguably Dazed). However, as the new reissues of the entire catalogue all are straight remasterings - no new mixes from multitracks - the die was cast, and the mistake made, back in '07 when Page and Kevin Shirley butchered those tracks in the revised and expanded TSRTS.

The new reissue, IMHO, will have benefits compared to the prior version that are modest but real, similar to the benefit of the 2018 How the West Was Won reissue: (1) Better mastering (Davis vs Shirley), and (2) More convenient playback options (whole show on a single Blu-Ray audio disc vs multiple CDs; Dazed on a single side of vinyl instead of split over two; and a high-res digital file option).

Don't get me wrong: I'm not making apologies for this release or arguing that it's essential. In fact, it's the only album in the entire Zep reissue campaign that I haven't preordered and that I'm not even certain I'm going to buy at all. But I don't think it's accurate that this is a cynical cash grab. I think Page is doing this to complete the reissue catalogue and get everything in what he considers to be well-mastered, up-to-date shape with all modern formats.

1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

50 years should teach someone a bit of self-control no?

No, the older you get the more money you have so one starts buying (almost)whatever is thrown at us, who do you think expensive nostalgia box sets are primarily aimed at.  Fwiw I do want the TSRTS Blu-ray audio disc I have recently cancelled but I'm not paying forty pounds for one disc, the UK price is an absolute rip off. I can't be arsed ordering from abroad so unless the price comes down I'll put up with the eight + versions I already have.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, tmtomh said:

They have to release TSRTS - they're reissuing the entire catalogue and it's the only audio release remaining. It's not a cash grab or taking advantage of loyal fans, unless you thnk the entire 2014-18 reissue campaign is a cash grab.

The problem isn't another reissue - 11 years isn't forever but it's actually a decent time interval for doing a reissue, especially as part of a comprehensive campaign.

The issue is the edits in some of the tracks, particularly No Quarter and Whole Lotta Love (not to mention Celebration Day and arguably Dazed). However, as the new reissues of the entire catalogue all are straight remasterings - no new mixes from multitracks - the die was cast, and the mistake made, back in '07 when Page and Kevin Shirley butchered those tracks in the revised and expanded TSRTS.

The new reissue, IMHO, will have benefits compared to the prior version that are modest but real, similar to the benefit of the 2018 How the West Was Won reissue: (1) Better mastering (Davis vs Shirley), and (2) More convenient playback options (whole show on a single Blu-Ray audio disc vs multiple CDs; Dazed on a single side of vinyl instead of split over two; and a high-res digital file option).

Don't get me wrong: I'm not making apologies for this release or arguing that it's essential. In fact, it's the only album in the entire Zep reissue campaign that I haven't preordered and that I'm not even certain I'm going to buy at all. But I don't think it's accurate that this is a cynical cash grab. I think Page is doing this to complete the reissue catalogue and get everything in what he considers to be well-mastered, up-to-date shape with all modern formats.

Excellent post. It sums up the my disdain for this reissue. Just like yourself, it is the only reissue I have not pre-ordered.  Here in Canada, it'll cost me almost $300 Canadian with taxes and shipping for the SDBS.... that's almost $100 more than what I paid for HTWWW or the BBC SDBS. There is just too much music coming out in Sep/Oct that is competing with TSRTS, and in my opinion, this reissue just doesn't offer enough for the price to complete with all the stuff on my want list.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:18 AM, JTM said:

No, the older you get the more money you have so one starts buying (almost)whatever is thrown at us, who do you think expensive nostalgia box sets are primarily aimed at.  Fwiw I do want the TSRTS Blu-ray audio disc I have recently cancelled but I'm not paying forty pounds for one disc, the UK price is an absolute rip off. I can't be arsed ordering from abroad so unless the price comes down I'll put up with the eight + versions I already have.

Happy to buy it here and mail it over for you if that helps at all. The offer is there bud

3 hours ago, timothy5151 said:

Excellent post. It sums up the my disdain for this reissue. Just like yourself, it is the only reissue I have not pre-ordered.  Here in Canada, it'll cost me almost $300 Canadian with taxes and shipping for the SDBS.... that's almost $100 more than what I paid for HTWWW or the BBC SDBS. There is just too much music coming out in Sep/Oct that is competing with TSRTS, and in my opinion, this reissue just doesn't offer enough for the price to complete with all the stuff on my want list.

It won’t be as good as the Heywood version, so I’m not bothering at all

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin complete their reissue campaign with the release of the incredible soundtrack for the concert film ‘The Song Remains The Same’ in multiple formats, including the stunning Super Deluxe Box Set, as well as 2CD and 4LP versions.
Get your copy today. http://lnk.to/tsrts

Looking at the track time on the original 1976 transfer to CD of No Quarter (12.30) - the track times of both remasters aren't stated (as far as I'm aware). I know the earlier remaster has been edited down, but not sure of the 2018 version. Can anyone confirm this? If not the full length version, I'll probably replace my vinyl with the first transfer to CD. The other point was have the intros eg "In between last time we came and this time"....... been edited back in?

Petty I know, but it is the version I grew up with and just doesn't sound the same without it. Cheers. 

10 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Looking at the track time on the original 1976 transfer to CD of No Quarter (12.30) - the track times of both remasters aren't stated (as far as I'm aware). I know the earlier remaster has been edited down, but not sure of the 2018 version. Can anyone confirm this? If not the full length version, I'll probably replace my vinyl with the first transfer to CD. The other point was have the intros eg "In between last time we came and this time"....... been edited back in?

Petty I know, but it is the version I grew up with and just doesn't sound the same without it. Cheers. 

Unfortunately No Quarter is the same as the 2007 release. 

I ordered the blu ray audio and got three bonus items (a mini two sided poster, a mini replica of album cover with embossed framing on back and a turntable slip cover / turntable mat  with cool TSRTS graphic)  at a local record store earlier today. 

Enjoy this Zeptember weekend!!!

R😎🎸

Archived