1977 SHOWS RANKED INTO 3 CATEGORIES

Hi  everyone. I've  been  reading  this  forum  for  a  long  time  and  i  recently  created  an  account. I  enjoy  all  the  twelve  years  of  music  that  Led  Zeppelin  gave  to  us, and  i  am  a  huge  fan  of  the  1977  tour. I  see  that  the  77  tour  gets  slammed  by  some  waterheads  here  and  there, without  a  reason. I  decided  to  rank  all  the  77  shows, to  prove  that  most  of  them  are  good. THE  ORDER  IS  RANDOM. I  included  only  the  shows  that  we  have  recordings  for.

BAD/WEIRD  SHOWS

Tempe  Arizona, July  20  1977

Oklahoma  city, April  3  1977  (the  band  is  unrehearsed)

Chicago, April  6  1977  (the  band  is  unrehearsed)

Chicago, April  7  1977  (the  band  still  sounds  a  little  bit  rusty)

Landover   Maryland,  May  26  1977  (IMTOD  and  Kashmir  are  trainwrecks)

MEDIOCRE-GOOD  SHOWS

Houston  TX, May  21  1977  (good  performance)

Fort  worth  TX, May  22  1977  (good  performance)

Landover, May  25  and  28  1977  (mediocre  to  good)

Cleveland, April  27  1977  (good)

Chicago, April  9  1977  (good)

Cincinatti, April  19  and  20  1977  (good)

Atlanta, April  23  1977  (good)

Kentucky, April  25  1977  (good)

New  York, June  7  1977  (good)

San  Diego, June  19  1977  (brilliant  playing  from  Jimmy, bad  playing  from  Bonzo)

Seattle, July  17  1977  (good  show, but  shitty  SIBLY  and  Jimmy  is  lost  during  the  OTHAFA  solo)

Oakland, July  23  1977  (good  show, but  Jimmy  completely  destroys  the  TYG  solo)

Oakland, July  24  1977  (good)

VERY  GOOD-LEGENDARY  SHOWS

Chicago, April  10  1977  (very  good, the  only  bad  moment  is  the  first  TYG  solo, but  Jimmy  makes  up  with  the  second  solo)

Cleveland, April  28  1977  (excellent  show, one  of  the  best  TYG, great  NQ, kashmir  and  ALS)

Pontiac, April  30  1977  (excellent, Jimmy  plays  greatly)

Birmingham, May  18  1977  (excellent)

Landover, May  30  1977  (excellent)

Tampa, June  3  1977  (it  started  excellent  and  powerful)

New  York, June  8,10,11,13,14  1977  (excellent)

Los  Angeles, June  21,22,23,25,26,27  1977  (epic, legendary  shows, with  the  22nd  being  my  favorite)

I'd  like  to  hear  your  opinions  on  my  list.

Edited by confounded_bridge

Pretty good list. I'd say you're mostly spot on. Only changes I would make would be: putting Chicago 4/9 in the bad/weird category given how Page was unwell that night. I'd also put Landover 5/28 in that category as well. That might just be my least favorite Zeppelin performance ever. Page is awful and Bonzo's off and the whole thing drags at a snail's pace. I mean a 33 minute drum solo? Ugh! Not to mention the soundboard for that show is dreadful. Dry as a bone and sludgy as hell. I'm inclined to maybe add San Diego 6/19 to that category as well owing to Bonzo's performance, but you are right that the rest of the band is great. Other than that, I'd pretty much agree with this list.

I don't know of any really bad ones, per se (I've only heard about Tempe). Beyond that, I seem to love everything from 75-80, so a few off me own head:

6/21, 23, 25; Seattle, Houston, Ft. Worth, the 2 Cleveland gigs. Maybe the whole 6/7, since I have plenty of time to listen to it (love that Nutrocker)...

Damn, I forgot the 5/28 Maryland (Kashmir)...

😏

Edited by paul carruthers

1 minute ago, ZepHead315 said:

Pretty good list. I'd say you're mostly spot on. Only changes I would make would be: putting Chicago 4/9 in the bad/weird category given how Page was unwell that night. I'd also put Landover 5/28 in that category as well. That might just be my least favorite Zeppelin performance ever. Page is awful and Bonzo's off and the whole thing drags at a snail's pace. I mean a 33 minute drum solo? Ugh! Not to mention the soundboard for that show is dreadful. Dry as a bone and sludgy as hell. I'm inclined to maybe add San Diego 6/19 to that category as well owing to Bonzo's performance, but you are right that the rest of the band is great. Other than that, I'd pretty much agree with this list.

I  also  thought  the  same  thing  about  April  9, but  i  ranked  it  based  on  the  playing  before  Jimmy's  collapse. And  you're  right  about  5-28. The  worst  sounding  soundboard  and  bad  playing. Maybe  i  shouldn't  put  this  show  in  that  category, but  TYG, kashmir  and  Achilles  are  so  good  to  my  ears, that  made  me  forget  the  rest  of  the  concert.

1 minute ago, confounded_bridge said:

I  also  thought  the  same  thing  about  April  9, but  i  ranked  it  based  on  the  playing  before  Jimmy's  collapse. And  you're  right  about  5-28. The  worst  sounding  soundboard  and  bad  playing. Maybe  i  shouldn't  put  this  show  in  that  category, but  TYG, kashmir  and  Achilles  are  so  good  to  my  ears, that  made  me  forget  the  rest  of  the  concert.

Personally I've never been big on Kashmir from this show. I've seen some praise for it, but whenever I listen to it, all I can think about is how sluggish the band (Bonzo in particular) is. It sounds like it's being played in slow motion.

That being said, I do agree with you in general that 77 gets more hate than it deserves. There's roughly half a dozen shows that are truly bad/awful. The rest range from okay to outstanding. The LA run alone makes this year worthy imho.

39 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I don't know if I'd even put Landover 5/30 in the excellent category. The best of the run, but still nothing special.

I have to disagree with your assessment of 5/30 as well as 6/22, to me they are both excellent shows but to each their own.

Also, I know I am in the minority here but I prefer the whole of the NY run with the exception of 6-7 to almost all of the LA run. To me NY is tighter.

20 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

Hi  everyone. I've  been  reading  this  forum  for  a  long  time  and  i  recently  created  an  account. I  enjoy  all  the  twelve  years  of  music  that  Led  Zeppelin  gave  to  us, and  i  am  a  huge  fan  of  the  1977  tour. I  see  that  the  77  tour  gets  slammed  by  some  waterheads  here  and  there, without  a  reason. I  decided  to  rank  all  the  77  shows, to  prove  that  most  of  them  are  good. THE  ORDER  IS  RANDOM. I  included  only  the  shows  that  we  have  recordings  for.

BAD/WEIRD  SHOWS

MEDIOCRE-GOOD  SHOWS

San  Diego, June  19  1977  (brilliant  playing  from  Jimmy, bad  playing  from  Bonzo)

Seattle, July  17  1977  (good  show, but  shitty  SIBLY  and  Jimmy  is  lost  during  the  OTHAFA  solo)

Oakland, July  23  1977  (good  show, but  Jimmy  completely  destroys  the  TYG  solo)

Chicago, April  10  1977  (very  good, the  only  bad  moment  is  the  first  TYG  solo, but  Jimmy  makes  up  with  the  second  solo)

Cleveland, April  28  1977  (excellent  show, one  of  the  best  TYG, great  NQ, kashmir  and  ALS)

Los  Angeles, June  21,22,23,25,26,27  1977  (epic, legendary  shows, with  the  22nd  being  my  favorite)

Someone invent a damn time machine, I have some Zeppelin concerts to go to!!

Im a big LA77 fan.  Big 77 fan in general ! 

I wish MSG 77 was better represented sonically.  I’ve never been able to get deep into those shows for that reason.

my random 77 thoughts

6/7 I’m not a fan of because Jimmy is just too rough. Energetic, but rough.

5/22 I think one of best energetic shows of tour.  

5/30 Bonzo sounds asleep 

5/26 one of my personal faves very relaxed dynamic show with some nice fluid playing from Jimmy 

6/23 my fave Zep show ever Jimmys best night of tour imho

5/21 I think is decent esp end of show 

4/27 Jimmy is weak 

7/17 ok in some parts when Jimmy wakes up later on and Roberts voice warms up.  Strong Bonzo show

6/21 legendary show super energy but again, IMHO Jimmy a little too coked up and frantic in parts, still epic possible best Bonzo performance ever

6/25 solid show Jimmy very inspired in parts   Robert very strong but Bonzo has downshifted

7/20 😂😂😂😂

On 6/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Yes. I don't think 6/22 is as good overall as people say it is, and the last two shows are kinda blah.

I'd have to disagree with you there.  I think 6/22 is the best top-to-bottom show of '77, with 6/21 close behind.  If any of the LA shows are overrated, I'd say it's 6/23--it certainly has very epic peaks (NQ, Stairway), but they're interspersed with more mediocre moments, such as maybe the weakest acoustic set of the LA run and the screw-up in Kashmir.  I mean, it has a great, playful vibe to it, but I'd take the superior tightness of 6/21 & 6/22 if I had to choose.

And I wouldn't call the last two blah--to me, blah would be just totally middle-of-the-road, paint-by-numbers, with nothing notable to recommend it.  I would give this 'honour' to 6/7 of all the June '77 shows.  6/26 is great and tight all the way through IMO, highlighted by an excellent NQ (and a unique one, given that Jones goes back to the electric during Page's solo, like on 3/25/75), a great acoustic set, one of the best Noise Solos, one of the best and longest Stairway's, and the great and rare encore of It'll Be Me.  6/27, I'll admit, is the weakest of the LA run, but its NQ & acoustic set alone prevent it from being "blah" IMO.

2 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I'd have to disagree with you there.  I think 6/22 is the best top-to-bottom show of '77, with 6/21 close behind.  If any of the LA shows are overrated, I'd say it's 6/23--it certainly has very epic peaks (NQ, Stairway), but they're interspersed with more mediocre moments, such as maybe the weakest acoustic set of the LA run and the screw-up in Kashmir.  I mean, it has a great, playful vibe to it, but I'd take the superior tightness of 6/21 & 6/22 if I had to choose.

And I wouldn't call the last two blah--to me, blah would be just totally middle-of-the-road, paint-by-numbers, with nothing notable to recommend it.  I would give this 'honour' to 6/7 of all the June '77 shows.  6/26 is great and tight all the way through IMO, highlighted by an excellent NQ (and a unique one, given that Jones goes back to the electric during Page's solo, like on 3/25/75), a great acoustic set, one of the best Noise Solos, one of the best and longest Stairway's, and the great and rare encore of It'll Be Me.  6/27, I'll admit, is the weakest of the LA run, but its NQ & acoustic set alone prevent it from being "blah" IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 6/23 is overrated. I feel as though if Keith Moon hadn't made a cameo and it wasn't a Millard recording people wouldn't give it as much attention as they do. Still has some great moments though..

I share your opinion on 6/26 as well. An overall solid show and I'd much rather hear "It'll Be Me" as an encore than that "Whole Lotta Love"/"Rock And Roll" medley they were doing. 

On 6/25/2018 at 5:37 PM, confounded_bridge said:

BAD/WEIRD  SHOWS

MEDIOCRE-GOOD  SHOWS

Nice topic - and nice list!

Like Zep Head and others, I generally agree with you here. I actually would rank Fort Worth 5-22 in the top category (not legendary, but definitely very good to excellent) - for example I think it's a far better performance than the night before in Houston. 

Otherwise, though, I think you're spot on (or at least very close) on your rankings, at least for the '77 shows I'm most familiar with.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:28 PM, SteveZ98 said:

SIBLY from Seattle sounds pretty good to me (aside from a little too much bass on the remaster.)

Robert's  voice  is  cracking  a  lot, so  much  it's  cringeworthy. Jimmy's  playing  is  okay, but  nothing  special.  (Of  course  this  is  my  personal  opinion.)

On 6/26/2018 at 9:49 PM, bluecongo said:

Im a big LA77 fan.  Big 77 fan in general ! 

I wish MSG 77 was better represented sonically.  I’ve never been able to get deep into those shows for that reason.

my random 77 thoughts

6/7 I’m not a fan of because Jimmy is just too rough. Energetic, but rough.

5/22 I think one of best energetic shows of tour.  

5/30 Bonzo sounds asleep 

5/26 one of my personal faves very relaxed dynamic show with some nice fluid playing from Jimmy 

6/23 my fave Zep show ever Jimmys best night of tour imho

5/21 I think is decent esp end of show 

4/27 Jimmy is weak 

7/17 ok in some parts when Jimmy wakes up later on and Roberts voice warms up.  Strong Bonzo show

6/21 legendary show super energy but again, IMHO Jimmy a little too coked up and frantic in parts, still epic possible best Bonzo performance ever

6/25 solid show Jimmy very inspired in parts   Robert very strong but Bonzo has downshifted

7/20 😂😂😂😂

Exactly! This  show  has  the  second  best  version  of  kashmir, (the  best  version  EVER  is  6/22), a  stellar  NQ  and  great  SIBLY  and  TYG. Bonzo  is  slower, compared  to  the  first  three  concerts.

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

Nice topic - and nice list!

Like Zep Head and others, I generally agree with you here. I actually would rank Fort Worth 5-22 in the top category (not legendary, but definitely very good to excellent) - for example I think it's a far better performance than the night before in Houston. 

Otherwise, though, I think you're spot on (or at least very close) on your rankings, at least for the '77 shows I'm most familiar with.

Thank  you!

It  was  very  difficult  for  me  to  rank  Fort  Worth. It  is  very  enjoyable  and  energetic, but  at  some  parts  Houston  show  is  better. For  example, Houston  SIBLY, Achilles  and  Stairway  are  way  better. The  next  night  at  Fort  Worth, Jimmy  used  a  lot  of  distortion  for  Achilles  and  his  guitar  is  kinda  out  of  tune, destroying  the  intro. This  version  is  a  little  rough  for  me. On  the  other  hand, 5/21  No  Quarter  is  very  boring (actually  it  is  the  only  version  i  don't  like.)  Certainly, both  shows  are  very  enjoyable, each  one  on  its  own  way.

Edited by confounded_bridge

17 hours ago, Daeron said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 6/23 is overrated. I feel as though if Keith Moon hadn't made a cameo and it wasn't a Millard recording people wouldn't give it as much attention as they do. Still has some great moments though..

I share your opinion on 6/26 as well. An overall solid show and I'd much rather hear "It'll Be Me" as an encore than that "Whole Lotta Love"/"Rock And Roll" medley they were doing. 

You really think that "I"* feel the 23rd is a highly rated and great show because of Moon's appearance? that's funny. His time on the boot was funny, almost sad really but that's all.  It also has nothing to do with being a Millard recording.  I think most people know this show from the original For Badge Holders Only boot which is from a different source and "I" still love it.  I never listen to the Millard recording for this show because of the all the dropouts.   I listen to this show because the performances of NFBM, OTHAFA, SIBLY, NO QUARTER, THE ACOUSTIC  SET,  (very cool) and TUF, are IMHO hard to beat. Bonham's drum solo is pretty damn good for 77 as is Jimmy's noise solo although I could do without the anthems (always). The bit he does on the toggle switch is magic and the theremin and bow solos are wild. I don't care about the mix up in Kashmir or how slow WSBMS is this show is highly enjoyable and as a person who loves the atmosphere and playing at this gig, I do not feel it's overrated at all.

This is coming from someone who has all the shows and has been listening to live Zeppelin since 1983.B)

* "I"  in parenthesis represents those who do not feel that the high rating is for the reasons you stated ;)

Edited by hummingbird69

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Heh, the old "Badgeholders" debate; has anyone mentioned 6/21 yet? It's usually those 2 shows that always get singled out on the LA run...

😂

:D  6-21 has been mentioned and it's a great show especially TSRTS but for me as a listener, it's really the highlight of the show as it's better than anything else they played that night. 6-23, however, has a lot of Highlights as I mentioned above. For me, those versions are near perfect but it's a matter of taste really. I often wonder how we can all have such different takes on the performances. It's like sometimes I just scratch my head and say how can they think that.:gimmefive:

• 1 month later...

I wrote this about two years ago.

On 1/31/2017 at 12:05 AM, Strider said:

Boy, there is a lot of nitpicking going on with 1977.

First of all, when craigled said 1977 was Led Zeppelin's best tour, I think he was not just talking about the show itself but the totality of the tour, the gigantity of it all.

When I think of a rock and roll tour, I think of a band on the road for months at a time hitting all the regions of the country. I think of endless days of speculation and anticipation and media reports coming in as the band marches across the country, the buzz building and building until you think you are going to burst with excitement when the band at last comes to your town.

By the mid-70s, after Led Zeppelin and the Stones and Elton John and others laid the groundwork for the modern rock tour, it was common-place for bands to tour for more than 30 or 40 shows in the U.S.

But for most of the early years, a Led Zeppelin tour barely lasted a month or more. Even in 1972, while the Stones were blazing around America, when Led Zeppelin toured the Led Zeppelin IV album, they played only 19 shows on that summer tour. No shows in San Francisco, Chicago, Texas, or anywhere in the Deep South.

1973 was their first real bona-fide multi-month cross-country tour of America. 36 shows and this time Led Zeppelin did hit the south and San Francisco and Chicago and many other places they had neglected. That was a great tour.

In 1975, they had another boffo tour...but even at 38 shows across three months, it seemed short. Again there were places ignored...no San Francisco/Oakland dates, for instance. Other issues hampered the tour...the band's health and the fact that the majority of the tour took place in the freezing winter, which exacerbated the band's health issues.

The 1977 U.S. Tour, on the other hand, felt different right from the beginning. For one thing, it was a spring-summer tour. Warm weather and warm vibes. Like 1973, they hit all the regions of the country, playing places they missed in 1975. 51 total dates scheduled from April to August...of which 44 were played before Karac's tragic passing forced the cancellation of the rest of the dates. The 1977 tour was not only covered by Creem, Circus, and the rock media and daily newspapers of the cities on the tour. It was also covered by the national mainstream press such as Time and Newsweek.

The sound system, the staging, the light show and special effects. Everything was a leap above what had come previously. 

And now let us talk about the concert itself. Everyone mentions Tempe. Ok, Tempe was bad...or that's what one hears from the available tape.

But how many "bad" shows were there really on the 1977 tour? I can vouch for the LA Forum run...not a bad show in the bunch. Even the one I missed, the 22nd of June, is top-notch. Best "Over the Hills" solo Jimmy ever played...and maybe the best "No Quarter" of the Forum week.

All the New York shows sound like they were good shows...some like the June 7th reach epic heights. So between LA and NY, that's 12 good to great shows right there.

Both Cleveland shows, Cincinnati, Pontiac Silverdome, Atlanta, Ft. Worth, Houston, and two of the Largo Center, MD shows (May 28 and 30) all sound like passable good shows to me...the worst of them is still above average.

So far we have two Largo shows and Tempe that one could objectively rank as below average. That makes 3 bad shows and 21 above average or better shows.

Chicago I have only heard in fragments, so I cannot really vouch for those dates. But let's go ahead and concede that the show where Jimmy collapsed was not a good night for the band. Nor can I make a judgement on all the early dates that have not surfaced in any form. I never received Freezer's Baton Rouge tape. But people that have heard it rave about the show.

Tampa was rained out but what they did play sounds like it would have been a killer show.

That leaves San Diego and the third leg of the tour. I haven't listened to San Diego or the Oakland shows in years. I recall Bonham being deathly ill during the San Diego show so I cut the band some slack for that night. The Oakland shows I recall not being impressed compared to the Forum shows, but I don't know that I would say they were bad shows...the quality or non-quality of the audience tape may hinder one's judgement of a show.

Last but not least, we have the Seattle Kingdome show, which I have previously reconsidered on this Forum and found it to be quite enjoyable, especially via the audience tape.

So, let us say the San Diego and one of the Oakland shows were bad.

That means that out of a 44 date tour, we only have evidence of 6 "bad" shows: Tempe, San Diego, Oakland, Chicago, and two Largos. 27 shows are good-to-great and we are still waiting on tapes for the rest.

That is a pretty good ratio and hardly the disaster people try to make the 1977 tour seem.