Johnny Winter

Bong-Man

I never made it to the Lucky Lougne during my brief time of residing in Austin in 1991-92.

The whole Sixth Street, paved-with-tourist-flypaper-scene is one I avoided.

I must confess I haven`t been back in quite some time.

Antones and Luckys are just a block off of Sixth Street.

I much prefered being south of the Colorado River in Austin.

I understand what you're saying about the Sixth Street scene. My visits to Austin have been so rare and infrequent that the scene is a bit of a novelty for me. But I really hate crowds and scenes of any sort. When we used to go to punk rock clubs when they were gritty and hard to find and some found only via word of mouth - once they became popular with gawkers and posers and tourists and ended up as part of a "scene" we stopped going. If I had a steady diet of Sixth Street, I can easily imagine myself quickly burning out on the crowds and avoiding the whole place.

If by south of the Colorado River you mean S. Congress St, I agree that it is a less-touristed place and probably more like Austin was in years past.

My favorite things north of the river were...

Martin's 'Kumbak' burgers....and Waterloo Records.

I love Waterloo records! It's rare that we leave the Hermetic Hacienda to visit it, though, so I have ordered from them online.

Hey !!! Watching the bats fly out from under the Congress St. bridge at dusk is a sight to behold !!!

Millions and millions !!! :lol:

And Amy's Ice Cream on S. Congress !!!!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!!!

What was this thread about ? :huh:

Yes! The bats are unbelievable! We were talking about Johnny Winter and TM mentioned seeing him at a roadhouse and then the conversation turned to Austin and it just took off from there. I saw you mentioned Waterloos and I posted about them in the record store thread too.

^ Ah !!! So that's what is was.....I shoulda remembered....I just mentioned Johnny a couple of post's back....:blush:

See....Johnny being an albino....I bet he used to go watch the bats.... He must've taken his brother Edgar to the bats too.....before....

51C11EYQHAL._SS500_.jpg

Doncha think ? :lol:

^ Ah !!! So that's what is was.....I shoulda remembered....I just mentioned Johnny a couple of post's back....:blush:

See....Johnny being an albino....I bet he used to go watch the bats.... He must've taken his brother Edgar to the bats too.....before....

51C11EYQHAL._SS500_.jpg

Doncha think ? :lol:

Got it! :lol:

btw, my husband was also a fan of Edgar Winter's White Trash.

I saw him at my very first concert ever, it was the summer of 1975.

He was the second act after suzie quatro. for some of you younger folks suzie had a recurring role on "Happy Days" as fonzi's cousin leather tuscaderro. They opened the show for Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare tour. It was at City Park Stadium

in New Orleans, LA

Every rocker since then, can thank ole Alice for getting my $$$

I was so blown away by his performance I don't think I missed a single concert for the next 15 years. "Schools Out! Baby"

Johnny's out of this world. A great guitarist. I have all of his 60's and 70's albums and I play them frequently. Johnny Winter And was a great backing group for him, with Derringer and Randy Jo Hobbs (bass). Haven't seen him live, though he's been over here a couple of times lately.

Johnny Winter And ,was my first taste of Johnny live. They backed up John Mayall and just rocked the joint. Derringer was the perfect foil and a great performer in his own right. I love John Mayall but I had trouble getting into him that night

Very cool, I would have loved seeing them back then.. I listened to their "Live" album yesterday, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl is outrageous, it's guitars all over the place when Winter and Derringer solos together! LOL

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the great pics of the Winter brothers, Alwizard. My husband has been a huge fan of both - especially Johnny - for decades. He introduced me to the music of Johnny Winter. IMO, Johnny Winter is a legend.

I have a bunch of Edgar and also Rick from 98 at the house just dont have them scanned but when I get home in a week or so I will do that and post them.Glad you liked them

LOL

Al

I have a bunch of Edgar and also Rick from 98 at the house just dont have them scanned but when I get home in a week or so I will do that and post them.Glad you liked them

LOL

Al

Sadly, I missed him at the Yale Hotel in Feb. I work way too much :blink:

I'd love to see them! When you get a chance, please share them with us. :)

I'll second that AL. Those photo's bring back some great memory's. IMHO They were second only to Zeppelin as a live act.

EDGARANDJOHNNYWINTER76.jpg

EDGARWINTERLAFEYETTE78.jpg

Here is A few more of my Stubs

Alwizard, my husband saw the Winter Brothers perform when you did. He always told me that the name of Edgar Winter's band, "White Trash", came about because his mother (who was a piano teacher?) saw them hanging out/practicing in the family garage and asked who they were. When Edgar told her they were his band, the mother replied that they looked like "white trash" so Edgar took that as their name. Do you know if that is a true story or a myth?

Archived