Johnny Winter

Bong-Man

Alwizard, my husband saw the Winter Brothers perform when you did. He always told me that the name of Edgar Winter's band, "White Trash", came about because his mother (who was a piano teacher?) saw them hanging out/practicing in the family garage and asked who they were. When Edgar told her they were his band, the mother replied that they looked like "white trash" so Edgar took that as their name. Do you know if that is a true story or a myth?

Not sure about the Story I have met Edgar and his Wife also Johnny and Rick but Never thought to ask .

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about this guy, although I heard a lot. But I saw him on DVD CrossRoads Guitar Festival 2007, and was real good (i know that he's a legend). I want to hear more but I don't know what is the best album to start...

About Edgar Winter Group, Frankenstein.. best song.

I don't know much about this guy, although I heard a lot. But I saw him on DVD CrossRoads Guitar Festival 2007, and was real good (i know that he's a legend). I want to hear more but I don't know what is the best album to start...

About Edgar Winter Group, Frankenstein.. best song.

I have several favorites

1.Johnny Winter- Live and

2.Captured Live

3.Saints and Sinners

4.Still Alive and Well

5.Second Winter

Edgar Winters best to me

1.Roadwork

2.They only come out at night

3.White Trash

It's hard to go wrong with any of his records but you may find it best to start here:

51P743DBXCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Rock And Roll, Hoochie Koo (Album Version)

2. I'm Yours And I'm Hers (Album Version)

3. Johnny B. Goode (Album Version)

4. I'll Drown In My Tears (Album Version)

5. Come On In My Kitchen (Previously Unreleased)

6. Rollin' And Tumblin' (Album Version)

7. Highway 61 Revisited (Album Version)

8. Hustled Down In Texas (Album Version)

9. Mother-In-Law Blues (Album Version)

10. Dallas (Album Version)

11. Miss Ann (Album Version)

12. It's My Own Fault (Live)

13. Mean Town Blues (Live)

14. Still Alive And Well (Album Version)

15. Be Careful With A Fool (Album Version)

16. Memory Pain (Album Version)

I have several favorites

1.Johnny Winter- Live and

2.Captured Live

3.Saints and Sinners

4.Still Alive and Well

5.Second Winter

Edgar Winters best to me

1.Roadwork

2.They only come out at night

3.White Trash

Ok lets go with Captured Live

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a huge Johnny Winter fan and have been since I first heard Johnny Winter And Live back in the 70s but I've never seen him in concert. Back in 2006 he passed through the area twice but both times I fell ill and had to miss him (and loss over $70 in tickets on of them). He's back in the area this spring so I hope to finally see him then.

Anyone seen this yet?

41FxPI9qTlL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Nice review of it here.

I'm a huge Johnny Winter fan and have been since I first heard Johnny Winter And Live back in the 70s but I've never seen him in concert. Back in 2006 he passed through the area twice but both times I fell ill and had to miss him (and loss over $70 in tickets on of them). He's back in the area this spring so I hope to finally see him then.

Anyone seen this yet?

Nice review of it here.

I saw Johnny Winter in concert in the 70's. I don't remember much about it, but it was the second concert that I had ever attended. The first was Edgar Winter with Rick Derringer. The opening band for Johnny was ZZ Top!

I loved both Johnny's and Edgar's music. Blues and classic rock.

Edited to say: It's funny that the article mentions Don Kirshner's Rock Concert show.

I used to watch that show all the time as a kid. My dad would make comments about the band's long hair and hippy appearance. He had a field day making comments about Johnny and Edgar! LOL

Johnny and Edgar were among those artists (like Three Dog Night, Steppenwolf, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, Grand Funk Railroad, the Grateful Dead, etc.) that I heard when I first started getting into music in the early 70s, usually on 8-track.

I also have very many fond memories of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and can remember the Edgar Winter Group's performance of Frankenstein as if it was yesterday because the song was so long they had to break to go to a commercial. Of course it was right during the breakdown so it was particularly disappointing. When they returned we didn't get the rest of the song, the show was over. You'd think a clip like that would easily be found on YouTube but I've been unable to locate it. Edgar's site does have a couple of clips from Don Kirshner's Rock Concert but neither of them are of Frankenstein.

I also have very many fond memories of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and can remember the Edgar Winter Group's performance of Frankenstein as if it was yesterday because the song was so long they had to break to go to a commercial. Of course it was right during the breakdown so it as particularly disappointing. When they returned we didn't get the rest of the song, the show was over. You'd think a clip like that would easily be found on YouTube but I've been unable to locate it. Edgar's site does have a couple of clips from Don Kirshner's Rock Concert but neither of them are of Frankenstein.

That cut out section maintains the theme of Frankenstein. Parts is parts. <_<

Maybe there is a spliced together ending to complete a fragmented version.

BTW, its FRONKinSTEEN !!

Anyone seen this yet?

Nice review of it here.

No, I hadn't but I'll be getting it as soon as I can ! Johnny was in town last Feb. for two show's at the Yale Hotel and I was one p'd off person not being able to make either of them. My first live show with him was April 71 with Derringer and the rest of Johnny Winter And. I've got to say that it ranks as one of my all-time favorite concerts and have been a big fan of his ever since. I'd love to see Johnny and Edgar do a tour together. Bring back all the great guitar players that have worked with them. Now, there's no chance I'd miss that one B)

I've been trying to find an article I read about Johnny around a year ago (in fact, I may have even posted it here) that talks about how he's doing these days. I remember the article did say he was doing better but I believe he still performs all of his shows sitting down due to his poor health.

I've been trying to find an article I read about Johnny around a year ago (in fact, I may have even posted it here) that talks about how he's doing these days. I remember the article did say he was doing better but I believe he still performs all of his shows sitting down due to his poor health.

I've heard that too. He can still play though and John Lee Hooker made a career of sitting and playing

As long as Johnny is healthy enough to tour then I'm fine with just listening to him. I'm not a fan of polls and lists etc. but I've alway's thought Johnny was amoung the most underrated guitar players ever. He really should be on any budding guitar players list of players to see

His former manager screwed him over, keeping him on opiates while stealing money from him. He's doing MUCH better nowadays, singing and playing better than he has in years. He still plays sitting down though because I believe he has a bad hip.

His former manager screwed him over, keeping him on opiates while stealing money from him. He's doing MUCH better nowadays, singing and playing better than he has in years. He still plays sitting down though because I believe he has a bad hip.

Thanks, that's the angle the article took on Johnny. About how bad his manager had been treating him. It also included some updates on his health. If I can find it I'll be sure to post it, it was very well written and a must read for any fan of Johnny Winter. As I've mentioned, I was a big fan back in the 70s then got back into him again in the 80s and 90s with his newer blues records. I kind of lost touch again and then read about his failing health. I do hope I get a chance to see him this time.

Archived