That first song you heard and you said to yourself "man, that Jimmy Page is a genius"

6 hours ago, JTM said:

Four geneii  not just one, JPJ is equally a genius to Page as are Bonham and Plant in their own way, don't be giving Jimbo all the credit..

kinda agree - but Page was the producer and steered the ship. It was his idea and he was the prime mover. Not to say the others were passengers in any way. Each contributed equally - as was Jimmy's design.

13 hours ago, rm2551 said:

kinda agree - but Page was the producer and steered the ship. It was his idea and he was the prime mover. Not to say the others were passengers in any way. Each contributed equally - as was Jimmy's design.

True, but Jim needed the other people around him, he got lucky finding  the relatively unknown Plant and Bonham and along with JPJ all four helped to fulfil his vision. I'm trying to think of any other musicians from the late sixties that could have given Jim that ten year high and I can't think of any. Terry Reid would have fizzled out after one or two albums, he's a great vocalist but he does not have the frontman panache Plant has.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:48 PM, JTM said:

True, but Jim needed the other people around him, he got lucky finding  the relatively unknown Plant and Bonham and along with JPJ all four helped to fulfil his vision. I'm trying to think of any other musicians from the late sixties that could have given Jim that ten year high and I can't think of any. Terry Reid would have fizzled out after one or two albums, he's a great vocalist but he does not have the frontman panache Plant has.

100%. Could not have been anything like it was if any different - and nothing like what was achieved with even the slightest variance. Top it off with Grant to manage them from the get go with the foundation understanding with Jimmy of how it was to be done. But yeah, to find those 3. Could not have gone better.

Hard to pick just one moment so I’ll name two songs that nobody’s mentioned yet: Ten Years Gone and Bron-Yr-Aur from Physical Graffiti.  I was already into Zeppelin when I first heard PG at my friend’s beach house but those two really opened my eyes (and ears).  Both instantly identifiable as Page, can’t mistake those for any other player.

13 hours ago, mstork said:

Hard to pick just one moment so I’ll name two songs that nobody’s mentioned yet: Ten Years Gone and Bron-Yr-Aur from Physical Graffiti.  I was already into Zeppelin when I first heard PG at my friend’s beach house but those two really opened my eyes (and ears).  Both instantly identifiable as Page, can’t mistake those for any other player.

Bron yr aur is a great call...first time I heard that...right in the middle of that third side...it floored me.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, JTM said:

In an alternate reality do you think we’re praising the merits of Jimmy, Chris Dreja, Terry Reid and B.J. Cole?

Heartbreaker. That solo is SOOOO sloppy in spots, but, the WHOLE THING is sooo damn COOL!!! If everything was spot on, super tight, clean and smooth, it just wouldnt have the same vibe at all. I have played guitar for almost 40 yrs profesionally and as a young player when i first disected it (17 speed on the old turntables, right geezerz?) it gave me a lot of insight to pages genious, style and riffs.

--------------------------------------

GIMME JIMMY!!!

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, ThreeIsMyFav said:

Heartbreaker. That solo is SOOOO sloppy in spots, but, the WHOLE THING is sooo damn COOL!!! If everything was spot on, super tight, clean and smooth, it just wouldnt have the same vibe at all. I have played guitar for almost 40 yrs profesionally and as a young player when i first disected it (17 speed on the old turntables, right geezerz?) it gave me a lot of insight to pages genious, style and riffs.

--------------------------------------

GIMME JIMMY!!!

The real irony is in 1969 when Heartbreaker was recorded that was an incredibly tight solo (for the speed it is played) compared to most other players including Hendrix. You listen to the live playing of bands such as the Dead, the Airplane, or even Hendrix from that era and it was obvious that the players back then emphasized tone, attitude, and phrasing over accuracy. However compare it to guitarists coming of age just five or six years later and it is slop city.

Oh, first time poster, long time lurker. My name is Peace and I am not an alcoholic. Not yet at least.

• 1 month later...

I think it was Stairway to Heaven. The first Zeppelin tape I ever had was a copy my cousin made for me of Black Dog, Rock and Roll and Stairway to Heaven. I was young, maybe 13 or so, and I can remember being mesmerized by Stairway. Once I got into playing guitar, same year just a little later, I got a copy of Zeppelin II and heard Heartbreaker, which I played for everyone like, "You gotta hear this!".

Archived