Your Favorite Black Crowes Album

kidmoon

SHAMC, Amorica & Tall also JP & TBC Live at the Greek (Japanese release with In the Light and Misty Mountain Hop as bonus trax)............. oh, the 1st album aint bad either. ahhh Freak n roll... into the fog, CD and DVD thats a blinder.

Well, I try not to write in threads for bands I don't like, but I wasted money on two of their albums (Southern Harmony & the Musical Companion, Shake Your Money Maker) for my birthday this year and this band's music bores the life out of me. I'm just glad they were cheap.

Freak N' Roll, the cd's and DVD. Super performances. Studio-wise, the second one.

AND- for the REAL die hard Crowes fans, go to www.instantlive.com. Loads of live shows. I have a few myself and they sound GREAT. A lot of good covers, in addition to mammoth Zep-like jams on a few songs.

I adore Shake Your Money Maker, but, man, I think the song Sometimes Salvation is enough to sway me to The Southern Harmony.

...I really need more than four of their albums.

• 6 months later...

I've seen the Crowes 10 times including JP&BC 3 times and consider them one of my faves.

That being said, I hate that retro-hippie crap that Chris gets into. Their long jams ARE a bore. It makes you realize how interesting and dangerously great Zep were when they improvised. I really dig some of the older tunes and I get that they may have been some of the tunes of most Black Crowes fans formative years, but their song writing on By Your Side and Lions is massively superior. They copped the Sones/Faces spirit yet upped the ante by writing "70 Classic" tunes. BYS was an unsuccessful change of direction for the Crowes, but in hindsight it's failure has more to do with the turbulent music biz at the time than the quality of this CD.

Almost ten years later this CD STILL kicks my ass! The production, background singers the tight licks, EXCELLENT lyrics. This is what lured Jimmy to the Crowes, knowing the quality writing in the genre of 70's classic music that he helped create. Listen to the chunky riff of Heavy and tell me that's not a JP mating call. A 40's swing riff with a 70's stomp that Jimmy does like no other! Lions was post Page and also has his fingerprint all over it. I almost feel that Page WROTE Cosmic friend it's so influenced.

I know that everyone swoons over No Speak No Slave or Thorn in My Pride, but for my money I think that Lions AND By Your Side hold up much better as the years pass, as the musical high watermark for the Crowes, keeping in mind that there are people on this board who say that after Zep II they got soft, yet IMHO HOTH remains MY fave! To each his own.

Well, I try not to write in threads for bands I don't like, but I wasted money on two of their albums (Southern Harmony & the Musical Companion, Shake Your Money Maker) for my birthday this year and this band's music bores the life out of me. I'm just glad they were cheap.

You think the Black Crowes are boring, and you listen to the Black Keys?

I'm with the poster above. I like the later stuff overall better. There's not a bad song on BYS, and Lions has riff after riff.

SYMM bores the hell outta me. Get yer own sound, Crowes!!!

TSHAMC is probably my overall favorite is just a monster album.

Amorica and 3 Snakes are awesome as well.

Don't even get me started on the live stuff. Hands down one of the top 5 live acts going. And since they only put a couple monster jams in a set, it's not too outta control. Much more interesting than bands like the Allmans, who jam alotta the same stuff. But for some of the more tasteful jams check out the FreaknRoll stuff.

Archived