Tower House

Well, there persists the notion that Jimmy was some kind of forceful mastermind in Zeppelin. Early on in the launch, yes, but

also Peter Grant right behind him. There are very few Zep stories with Jimmy or any other member stalking away in anger 

because their "vision" was being corrupted or diluted etc.. Probably 75% + of all successful groups in the 70's and 80's

were quite volatile behind the scenes. In Zep, all the musicians were so talented that they played for the song, not obvious 

ego gratification. Well, after Bonzo's death, Jimmy knew what had been lost, and Jimmy just isn't a natural leader, so you

had the Firm, with Paul Rodgers actually playing guitar( not too bad, but kind of generic) on various tracks. Robert is Jimmy's

security blanket, and some fans don't realize that Jimmy can tie himself into knots with anxiety about many things. If Robert

caved, I'm not sure Jimmy couldn't handle a big tour, he's old, but adrenaline has always carried him thru. And Jimmy wants

only the 20,000 seat arenas, too bad.

20 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

I tend to think he wants to go out with one final huge bang, a record-breaking tour that eclipses anything done by the Stones/U2, etc.  A way of putting one final chapter in the book of who really was the biggest. 

The Rolling Stones are quite clearly the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time and it's not even close at this point. For one thing, they are still a going concern. Led Zeppelin delivered one concert length performance since 1980, nearly 40 YEARS AGO. Meanwhile, The Rolling Stones pulled in over $237 MILLION DOLLARS for occasional dates the last 12 MONTHS.

We can only speculate what Page's true level of ambition was in in 2007, or is today, but there's no substitute for results and he doesn't have too many to show for the last 20 years.  

18 hours ago, Realperson said:

Maybe.

You’re getting bogged down in the details...broader perspective...Sunset Boulevard: a former star fixated on past glories wants to get back in the game with a new piece of art for which they’ll be a part for her/him and so sends it to her/his old director. But the director just pretends to be interested because he wants to use the former star for his own ends—a different artistic creation in which the former star will not play a part but will just be used for a prop....I dunno...sounds familiar to me

Ah yes, I see your point.

I loved the video tour - Tower House is amazing and Jimmy has done a wonderful job preserving it!

Regarding any type of reunion... I'm glad Led Zeppelin hasn't done the same regurgitation that the Rolling Stones and the Who have done. That said, I wouldn't mind if they did one last blowout tour with Jason on drums and if Robert doesn't want to sing... Anne Wilson does a great job on the covers. 

I love to see how Jimmy has kept the house so true to its creation. Most people would modernize with a bunch of sterile looking crap all over the place. I hate seeing people take amazing architectural marvels, and older houses with so much character and just remove all of the timelessness from it; basically making it a facade.

3 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

I loved the video tour - Tower House is amazing and Jimmy has done a wonderful job preserving it!

Regarding any type of reunion... I'm glad Led Zeppelin hasn't done the same regurgitation that the Rolling Stones and the Who have done. That said, I wouldn't mind if they did one last blowout tour with Jason on drums and if Robert doesn't want to sing... Anne Wilson does a great job on the covers. 

I think the time came and went many many years ago in terms of a reunion tour. Frankly, I don't want to see musicians in their 70s performing music that they created decades earlier. I remember Grace Slick, of the Jefferson Airplane, remarking that it's ridiculous to watch old men trying to perform the music of their youth without the same drive, energy, and passion that they had in their younger days. I don't blame Robert Plant at all for refusing to tour with the band. He clearly wants to keep the band's legacy untarnished and intact, and let the fans remember the band as it was during their prime. And I respect that.

15 hours ago, mysticman560 said:

I think the time came and went many many years ago in terms of a reunion tour. Frankly, I don't want to see musicians in their 70s performing music that they created decades earlier. I remember Grace Slick, of the Jefferson Airplane, remarking that it's ridiculous to watch old men trying to perform the music of their youth without the same drive, energy, and passion that they had in their younger days. I don't blame Robert Plant at all for refusing to tour with the band. He clearly wants to keep the band's legacy untarnished and intact, and let the fans remember the band as it was during their prime. And I respect that.

I agree, although I think one-off concerts aren't all that bad. But seeing a 70 year old wailing about squeezing his lemon is a little odd

16 hours ago, nemophilist said:

I love to see how Jimmy has kept the house so true to its creation. Most people would modernize with a bunch of sterile looking crap all over the place. I hate seeing people take amazing architectural marvels, and older houses with so much character and just remove all of the timelessness from it; basically making it a facade.

Although not nearly in the same league... I have a 1940 art deco home designed by an architect of some minor rekown. Restoring it has been interesting and frustrating. I've spent a lot of time (and money!) on eBay trying to get original art deco furnishings and fixtures and I've supplemented those with replica pieces. It could definitely be a full time job and I give Jimmy huge credit for keeping Tower House beautifully maintained in all its glory!

On 8/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, SteveAJones said:

The Rolling Stones are quite clearly the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time and it's not even close at this point. For one thing, they are still a going concern. Led Zeppelin delivered one concert length performance since 1980, nearly 40 YEARS AGO. Meanwhile, The Rolling Stones pulled in over $237 MILLION DOLLARS for occasional dates the last 12 MONTHS.

We can only speculate what Page's true level of ambition was in in 2007, or is today, but there's no substitute for results and he doesn't have too many to show for the last 20 years.  

Yep, have to agree with you on this..Saw the Stones last month on the No Filter tour and they were awesome. It’s incredible to think they were playing before Zep and at the same time as The Beatles and can still rock out now..Jagger is simply a living legend and a miracle of nature!

Archived