Guitar Battles: Who would win, Angus Young (AC/DC) VS Ace Frehley (KISS)

TheMadIrishman

44 minutes ago, TheMadIrishman said:

Which would win in a no limit battle, Angus or Ace 

Neither as they are both pussies and would simply digress into a pillow fight.

Just kidding. Fact is, I never understood the whole A vs. B when it comes to musicians. Angus and Ace are both world class guitar players however their individual styles are different. Angus is 100% blues based, and when he dives into what he knows best is when he really shines. Angus's work during the Bon Scott years is some of my favorite contemporary blues cum hard rock there is. Night Prowler has a simply amazing solo which showcases what a true master Angus is. People often criticize Angus for being a "simplistic" player and that may be true, however he plays with emotion, space, and allows the songs to have an organic feel to them. Nothing wrong with writing great songs and playing within your wheelhouse.

Ace is completely different. Ace is, by his own words, an untrained musician. He does not know how to read music nor does he really know what the hell he is doing when he plays guitar however, because of this he essentially invented his own completely unique style. This is what makes Ace a great player, no rules, just does what he likes and what sounds good to him.

My vote is both. A cop-out? Maybe, but as long as a player plays with passion and true love of the music, he or she is always #1. Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein is another guitarist I love. Dude has no friggin clue how to actually play the thing, but what he does is pure passion, pure unadulterated aggression on the instrument. I just love the guy. Doyle once said in an interview, "some guy asked me to come play with him, to really shred...dude, I don't shred, I beat the shit outta it."

Neither. Ace would trip over his platform shoes and collapse in a alcoholic stupor. Angus would have to quit mid-solo when his mom would demand he get back to school.

Battle called off due to apathy.

On 8/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, IpMan said:

Neither as they are both pussies and would simply digress into a pillow fight.

Just kidding. Fact is, I never understood the whole A vs. B when it comes to musicians. Angus and Ace are both world class guitar players however their individual styles are different. Angus is 100% blues based, and when he dives into what he knows best is when he really shines. Angus's work during the Bon Scott years is some of my favorite contemporary blues cum hard rock there is. Night Prowler has a simply amazing solo which showcases what a true master Angus is. People often criticize Angus for being a "simplistic" player and that may be true, however he plays with emotion, space, and allows the songs to have an organic feel to them. Nothing wrong with writing great songs and playing within your wheelhouse.

Ace is completely different. Ace is, by his own words, an untrained musician. He does not know how to read music nor does he really know what the hell he is doing when he plays guitar however, because of this he essentially invented his own completely unique style. This is what makes Ace a great player, no rules, just does what he likes and what sounds good to him.

My vote is both. A cop-out? Maybe, but as long as a player plays with passion and true love of the music, he or she is always #1. Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein is another guitarist I love. Dude has no friggin clue how to actually play the thing, but what he does is pure passion, pure unadulterated aggression on the instrument. I just love the guy. Doyle once said in an interview, "some guy asked me to come play with him, to really shred...dude, I don't shred, I beat the shit outta it."

I agree with your assessment of Angus. I think he is a great player with an easily recognizable sound and is most often underrated. I am a big fan of the Bon Scott AC/DC era. I am not a fan of Ace Frehley and do not like the his work. So for obvious reasons, I would think Angus would win

Archived