I've Been Sleeping On Bradfford 1973

gibsonfan159

Is this the most proficient Jimmy Page ever? Maybe the best performance by the band overall? I don't think anything from the European leg tops it. Jones and Bonham are both going insane, Plant sounds pretty good also and Page is simply playing around everyone. That opening for SIBLY is simply unreal. I'd love to nitpick the show but the audience source is really tough on the ears, although Page can be heard fairly well. 

January 1973 is very overlooked. Oxford 1/7 is great even though the vocals are rough. Aberdeen 1/25 is up there with Bradford, and the fragments from 1/27 and 1/28 are fantastic too. Liverpool 1/14 has a lot of good bits. Don’t forget that Bradford has a soundboard fragment for Dazed, WLL and Immigrant Song.

By comparison, I’ve found Stoke 1/15, Southampton 1/22 and Preston 1/30 to be less interesting shows. Those three are probably the best tapes of that tour, which would help explain why people don’t bother to check out the other gigs from that month. Lots of reward there.

36 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

And even they sound dreadful.

What version are you listening to for the soundboard fragment? Those songs sound pretty great to me. I mean, 99% of the unofficial recording stuff would be considered “bad” to any normal listener.

3 minutes ago, pluribus said:

What version are you listening to for the soundboard fragment? Those songs sound pretty great to me. I mean, 99% of the unofficial recording stuff would be considered “bad” to any normal listener.

I found the ones on Black Beauty and they are not good compared to other SBDs. .

I haven't listened to this show for years so I just put it on. SIBLY is really outstanding , as good or better as any from the later Europe '73 dates, but this audience tape is a pretty tough listen. Page is the only fairly listenable part, the drums and bass are fairly distorted and indistinct. As a drummer, I need to hear Bonzo more clearly than this to be a show I go back to often. Plant sounds like his typical early 73 struggle, not as bad as some nights but not so good either. There are some very inspired moments but I  wouldn't call this their best performance ever. The board is ok, but it's thin, and flat like most from this tour. The links Pluribus provided sound better than my first gen transfer . Must be an EQ'd version. Page is flying on Dazed after the bow solo....damn! That is some ridiculous interaction with him and Bonzo. That is really furious playing. I wish we had a board for the whole show. 

11 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

Agree.  Why couldn't this one have been multi-tracked and not Southampton?!  Bonzo's playing is D&C is outrageous!!

Yeah, check out what he is doing at the very end when Page is on the wah wah. He's playing differently there than he usually does, he's playing lots of triplets! 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

i don't think I can rate this above Offenbach...not when Offenbach tape quality is so much better.

You mean Offenburg. 😉 Me too, that's a stand out, and Munich as well. I know what he means about Page especially though, he's visited by the angels on this one. 

7 hours ago, Strider said:

i don't think I can rate this above Offenbach...not when Offenbach tape quality is so much better.

Definitive version of the Offenberg/Bach boot please gents? And sound quality out of 10? 

Never really listened to the 73 Europe tour....but I’ve just listened to @ZepHead315 compilation and it’s great

10 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Yeah, check out what he is doing at the very end when Page is on the wah wah. He's playing differently there than he usually does, he's playing lots of triplets! 

Oh yeah, George, I noticed!!  Ridiculous!!!

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Definitive version of the Offenberg/Bach boot please gents? And sound quality out of 10? 

Never really listened to the 73 Europe tour....but I’ve just listened to @ZepHead315 compilation and it’s great

There was a No Label release recently that's very good and not too expensive. I like Cold Sweat from Live Remains, or It's Warm, Not Hot from TDOLZ. 

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

A Little Bit Warm - Eddie Edwards Remaster or The Ides Of March" Remastered Audience Recording  (A Group / Personal Project) are both v.good.

2 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

A Little Bit Warm - Eddie Edwards Remaster or The Ides Of March" Remastered Audience Recording  (A Group / Personal Project) are both v.good.

6 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I sampled every version and the "A little bit warm-eddie Edwards mix" sounded the best to me. Plant is pretty low in the mix though.

9 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Thanks for the shoutout! :)

I've always listened to the Eddie Edwards mix, although I haven't heard Cold Sweat so I don't know how they compare. There are two different audience sources. The main one is pretty atmospheric and clear, although it has some channel fluctuations and disturbances here and there. The second one is more distant. I'd say the sound on the whole is maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10. Not perfect, but pretty listenable especially once you get used to it.

You've never heard Europe 73? Oh man you are in for a treat! Be sure to also listen to Vienna, Munich, Hamburg, Essen, and Paris. All fantastic shows with some of the best playing from Page and Bonham I've ever heard.

Archived