Learning to Play

EaglesOfOneNest

Hi everyone, apologies if this is not the right forum to post this question in., but.... how difficult is it to learn to play an instrument as an adult? I played the saxophone as a kid... started about age 8 and played all the way through high school when I was kicked out of the music program because I absolutely could not handle playing the sax and keeping up with the marching band routines - inability to walk and chew gum at the same time! The school had a rule that you could only play an instrument if you also played in the marching band (stringed instruments excepted). 

Now that I am semi-retired, I have the time to learn an instrument again. I probably could remember how to read music with a little memory jog. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I play guitar and I'm currently teaching two adults (one 32, one 48) how to play.  With a Mel Bay guitar chord book and YouTube, I think you can pick the basics up easy enough.  At least enough to learn Pink Flyod's "Mother" and LZ's "Tangerine" to start.  Just those two will impress your friends.  

How much do you want to learn how to play?  The hungrier you are to learn, the quicker you will learn!
It all comes down to how much time and effort you put into it.
Anyone, at any age, can learn to play.  And the great thing is it's good for you.  Learning an instrument has great positive cognitive benefits, helps hand-eye coordination and can be very relaxing too.  Plus the sense of achievement you get when you are finally able to play something that felt impossible to start with is immense.

52 minutes ago, woz70 said:

How much do you want to learn how to play?  The hungrier you are to learn, the quicker you will learn!
It all comes down to how much time and effort you put into it.
Anyone, at any age, can learn to play.  And the great thing is it's good for you.  Learning an instrument has great positive cognitive benefits, helps hand-eye coordination and can be very relaxing too.  Plus the sense of achievement you get when you are finally able to play something that felt impossible to start with is immense.

Yeah,  figured it would either be an instrument or knitting as I get older to keep the brain sharp and I'd much prefer the end result to be music rather than a scarf!

Archived