Jimmy Page's Rickenbacker Transonic Amplifier

Interview with a collector who claims to own one of the Rickenbacker Transonic amplifiers that Jimmy used during the first American tour with Led Zeppelin. Check it out around the 2:50 minute mark in the video:

https://archive.org/details/bliptv-20131014-084106-Brianlippey-brentwareresize311476

A little later in the video, there's a glimpse of the Acoustic amps that John Paul Jones used for a time.

Edited by mysticman560

There are lots of stories regarding the equipment used for the first America tour. I read that Page/Jones secured an artist endorsement & deal with Rickenbacker, presumably for the company to provide them with amplifiers in exchange for their endorsement. The common story that I've heard is that they left the equipment behind in America at the end of the tour in February 1969, yet, there's the story that Page replaced the speaker cones in a number of Fender amps he had in Pangbourne with the Rickenbacker ones and sold the Fender amps when he returned to England at the tours conclusion. We know from photos taken during the sessions for Led Zeppelin II that he kept several of the Rickenback amps, and possibly still used them during the second American tour in April/May 1969. And I believe that he stills own several of them, as I recall seeing them in the "It Might Be Loud" documentary, yet there's the story that he left some  of the equipment behind in California at the end of the first American tour.

Perhaps Steve Jones or another forum member can shed some light on all of this.

Edited by mysticman560

7 hours ago, mysticman560 said:

There are lots of stories regarding the equipment used for the first America tour. I read that Page/Jones secured an artist endorsement & deal with Rickenbacker, presumably for the company to provide them with amplifiers in exchange for their endorsement. The common story that I've heard is that they left the equipment behind in America at the end of the tour in February 1969, yet, there's the story that Page replaced the speaker cones in a number of Fender amps he had in Pangbourne with the Rickenbacker ones and sold the Fender amps when he returned to England at the tours conclusion. We know from photos taken during the sessions for Led Zeppelin II that he kept several of the Rickenback amps, and possibly still used them during the second American tour in April/May 1969. And I believe that he stills own several of them, as I recall seeing them in the "It Might Be Loud" documentary, yet there's the story that he left some  of the equipment behind in California at the end of the first American tour.

Perhaps Steve Jones or another forum member can shed some light on all of this.

I vaguely recall reading that those amps were owned by Grant/Yardbirds, as well as the Slingerland drum kit that Bonzo used in fall 68, before the US tour commenced in late December 68. 

Edited by porgie66

• 8 months later...

Bob Rissi, the man who designed the Transonics for Rickenbacker, tells an interesting story. Jimmy had four of these amps, one of which he could not stand in front of due to the horns. This particular amp was left behind and is now at Rissi's house. Rissi seems to think that Jimmy only took one (perhaps two) back to England, and believes Cheap Trick ended up with the others. Also, John Paul Jones had some (exact number unknown), and he may or may not have taken any back to England.

Another story circulating is that Page "hated" these amps, but closer to the truth is that he actually hating standing in front of the one speaker box that had the two horns- the sound was too intense. This is the amp that Rissi now owns. There is a great article in Vintage Guitar magazine (https://www.vintageguitar.com/7818/rickenbacker-transonic/), and more information at Rissi's website (Rissonamplifiers.com).

Does anyone here have any idea of what one of these amps is worth these days?