Led zep film- TSRTS

Jimmy's explanation suggests it was more of a reenactment as opposed to strictly miming. If there was actually a play back at any point I don't think he would have said "sort of".

In the May 2008 issue of Uncut Magazine, Page recalled the events surrounding the shooting of additional footage at Shepperton Studios:

... I'm sort of miming at Shepperton to what I'd played at Madison Square Garden, but of course, although I've got a rough approximation of what I was playing from night to night, it's not exact. So the film that came out in the '70s is a bit warts-and-all

I'd like to have seen Page's face when they told him he'd have to reenact his live performance. I imagine he hit the freaking ceiling. Trying to pretend to play an improvised solo is an impossible feat, and it's obvious in parts of the film that either he was way off or they used the wrong footage since his playing didn't match the sound. This may have been the very thing that made Page so strict and hesitant about what got released over the years.

Yeah, there are so many glaring inconsistencies ...one that comes to mind is in SIBLY when Plant is singing and Page is shown shredding but you hear very sparse obbligatos under Plants vocals. Also, the numerous shots of Bonzo that were filmed during Moby Dick that they just spliced wherever . Lots of scenes where drum fills and cymbal crashes are out of sync , from different nights etc. I recently watched the additional tracks that were issued on the 2003 DVD , Misty Mountain, Over The Hills etc and just starting to get so annoyed. Terrible editing!  You rarely see one angle for more than a second or two.  Fucking awful! The constant switching is  jarring and ridiculous, especially since it's often not even what your hearing. Either there is a whole lot of missing footage on every tune, or Jimmy hired a hack editor. 

All concert footage should be shot from about 6 rows back dead center. The only time close ups should be used is when they are relevant like when Jimmy is soloing or plant is singing a deep part of the song. Too many angles ruin the feel of it, you're no longer getting the vibe of what it was like to be there but instead seeing a montage of poorly edited moments that never really do justice to what's really going on on stage.

I have nothing to add to the previous posters, except this.If you  watch Scorsese's Shine a Light, you can sense  the stress among the film crew.  Even for an award winning director and a highly skilled team. Getting hold of the definitive setlist, those guest appearances plus the staple interaction moments between Keef, Mick, Woody and the rest . And this is the 4K digital age, where the camera's have plenty of headroom, auto focus, high tech dolly/crane/steadicam/ drone devices  etc... Until the 21h century successful directors like Jonathan Demme, Marty (Last Waltz) and Peter Clifton  had to work with cumbersome 35mm film camera's having 10/11 minutes worth of film length per magazine,  limited film speed/sensitivity and a handful of manual focus zoom/prime lenses.

A concert movie is difficult, making a movie of a Zeppelin show is even more cumbersome. Ideally the Clifton crew should have consisted of professionals who were die hard Zep heads. Knowing the standard setlist by heart, anticipating the moment Jimmy would get into a solo, Bonzo hit the cymbals, and so on. In the meanwhile keeping those Arriflex or Panavision camera's in focus whilst monitoring the light changes...pure horror. Clifton wasn't the best choice for the director's seat and a lot of the movie leaves to be desired, but as a genre concert movies are a BIG challenge.

'Stop Making Sense', one of the greatest concert movies ever was storyboarded before filming in a compact seized theatre. The Last Waltz was also well prepared in advance. Just to give you an idea

8 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Yeah, there are so many glaring inconsistencies ...one that comes to mind is in SIBLY when Plant is singing and Page is shown shredding but you hear very sparse obbligatos under Plants vocals. Also, the numerous shots of Bonzo that were filmed during Moby Dick that they just spliced wherever . Lots of scenes where drum fills and cymbal crashes are out of sync , from different nights etc. I recently watched the additional tracks that were issued on the 2003 DVD , Misty Mountain, Over The Hills etc and just starting to get so annoyed. Terrible editing!  You rarely see one angle for more than a second or two.  Fucking awful! The constant switching is  jarring and ridiculous, especially since it's often not even what your hearing. Either there is a whole lot of missing footage on every tune, or Jimmy hired a hack editor. 

Misty Mountain is so bad. I don't think one shot is from the actual original footage of them playing it

9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'd like to have seen Page's face when they told him he'd have to reenact his live performance. I imagine he hit the freaking ceiling. Trying to pretend to play an improvised solo is an impossible feat, and it's obvious in parts of the film that either he was way off or they used the wrong footage since his playing didn't match the sound. This may have been the very thing that made Page so strict and hesitant about what got released over the years.

Capture.JPG

Yep a single camera about ten rows back showing the entire stage without any movement and enough film to shoot the entire show is all that would have been necessary for capturing each night as the go to shot when all other angles and cameramen miss a moment. 

It’s called “god” shot in live broadcast performances.   When all else fails you use that shot which covers everything.  

They failed on many levels...the visual quality is really beautiful for many shots they just failed on planning everythibg correctly. 

Archived