Best SQ on vinyl

JOE ZEP

40 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Would like to know as well...

Anything out there good enough to play on a hifi system?

The reissues are good enough, they sound better to me than most represses from the late 70's/80's but the best sounding pressings are generally the original first pressings....especially UK issues. They are $$$ in clean condition though so they're not practical for most people on a budget. Plan on spending hundreds for clean copies.  The Robert Ludwig pressings of LZ 2 and Houses are great, but the former can be really costly. The latter is easily obtained for $20-$50. 

A lot of people like the Classic Records issues , but I am not a fan...and they are stupid expensive now. Look for George Piros masterings if you can't afford original UK pressings. Or just buy the digitally remastered recent LP releases. Clean, quiet new vinyl and they sound excellent....just not entirely analog. 

13 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

The reissues are good enough, they sound better to me than most represses from the late 70's/80's but the nest sounding pressings are generally the originals....especially the first UK pressings. They are $$$ in clean condition though. The Robert Ludeog pressings of LZ 2 and Houses are great, but the former can be really costly. The latter is easily obtained for $20-$50. 

A lot of people like the Classic Records issues , but I am not a fan...and they are stupid expensive now. Look for George Piros masterings if you can't afford original UK pressings. Or just buy the digitally remastered recent LP releases. Clean, quiet new vinyl and they sound excellent....just not entirely analog. 

Thanks for the input. I have the recent remaster all on vinyl, it does sound good. Maybe I'll search for an original soon...

However I was wondering along the lines of bootlegs! It'd be great to pick a couple live shows on vinyl up, if they'd sound decent enough on a good system, not including official live releases. 

19 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Thanks for the input. I have the resent remaster all on vinyl, it does sound good. Maybe I'll search for an original soon...

However I was wondering along the lines of bootlegs! It'd be great to pick a couple live shows on vinyl up, if they'd sound decent enough on a good system, not including official live releases. 

My vote is for Copenhagen Warm Ups , with the Black cover and Zoso on the front. That's great audio quality, better than most CD issues. Going To California on TMOQ is great, never been bested on CD. But, most vinyl boots are not as good as recent CD releases IMO, because they often have speed issues and most are incomplete. Some are just cool to have because they are classic though, like Cellarful of Noise or Blueberry Hill. Another good one to get is 6/23/77 For Badgeholders Only....both volumes. Seattle '73 or V1/2 is nice to have too, but it's not complete. I have the Paris Olympia 10/10/69 on vinyl and it's excellent. Nice artwork too, and colored vinyl. Worth seeking out. 

2 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

My vote is for Copenhagen Warm Ups , with the Black cover and Zoso on the front. That's great audio quality, better than most CD issues. Going To California on TMOQ is great, never been bested on CD. But, most vinyl boots are not as good as recent CD releases IMO, because they often have speed issues and most are incomplete. Going To California on TMOQ is great, never been bested on CD. Some are just cool to have because they are classic though, like Cellarful of Noise or Blueberry Hill. Another good one to get is 6/23/77 For Badgeholders Only....both volumes. 

That's some great advice, thanks. 

8 hours ago, paplbojo said:

That's some great advice, thanks. 

Also, the Rubber Dubber Blueberry Hill... because it sounds really excellent and isn't often used on most CD releases except for the big box sets. Sadly it's very incomplete, but sounds great. You can usually find it for  under $200....sometimes less than $100. 

• 2 months later...

Archived