New Mexico 1973 Soundboard

Strider

20180827_230046.thumb.jpg.953b316f534f86d7338841d851d22bb8.jpg

20180827_230220.thumb.jpg.b7b06242f451595ffa1935b955c01933.jpg20180827_230000.thumb.jpg.9b25341797727df583598dc851ee0948.jpg

I was browsing thru the used cd bin at the record shop tonight and came across this little treat for only $6.99! With my $3 off coupon, that dropped it down to $3.99.

I had not heard of the New Mexico soundboard being released. Neither Argentum Astrum nor the Led Zeppelin Database list the May 23, 1973 Albuquerque New Mexico show as even having a tape, soundboard or audience. It's not on any of the Soundboard lists, either. I couldn't find any info on Discogs or Collector's Reviews or even by Googling the date, title and cd matrix number.

At first I thought it might be misdated or even a fake but after listening to it, it is definitely a 1973 soundboard and it is not from any of the 1973 shows I already have...Tampa, Mobile, Ft. Worth, New Orleans, San Antonio, Salt Lake, San Diego, L.A., San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, etc.

Here are the particulars:

The title is...

Led Zeppelin

Unidentified Live

New Mexico, Albuquerque

U.S.A. May 23RD 1973

The label credits are...

Celebration © 2002 Limited Edition

Original Soundboard Recording Produced by JIMMY

Original Mastering at Stargroves. Artworks by Gemini Special Thanks to Mr. B and YS

CD # 6060485230311

Track listing:

1. Rock and Roll (Ending)

2. Celebration Day

3. Black Dog

4. Misty Mountain Hop

5. Since I've Been Loving You

6. No Quarter

Total tape length about 35 minutes.

How has this slipped by unnoticed? Especially since it came out in 2002. How did all the Led Zeppelin databases miss it? Has anyone else come across this 1973 Albuquerque soundboard? Either in this form or another release?

Obviously it would be great to have a more complete tape. But only $4 for a new Celebration Day (Jimmy, whether by design or accident, tries some new variations during the verses), Since I've Been Loving You (although Robert flubs the intro), and No Quarter is a steal.

7 hours ago, hindenburg6880 said:

Aha. Zeppelin Art is a resource I keep forgetting about. I have the Salt Lake City soundboard but haven't played it in a while. Didn't remember "Celebration Day" having those little Jimmy hiccups that this CD has. I'll have to dig it up again.

Still, no loss if this cd really is from Salt Lake. I got it for $4 and I can take it to the record swap and get $20 trade credit for it. It's a win-win for me.

The Denver SB is sort of the reverse of the Salt Lake City show, i.e. only the last third (HB, WLL, CB) is available.  Salt Lake City is complete through STH, and has fragments of the rest of the show (a rather poor audience recording also exists).  There is no Albuquerque tape, soundboard or audience.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:07 AM, duckman said:

Denver, Co I believe....remember that was a really short soundboard release. Salt Lake City has an interesting finale with Georgia On My Mind

It's not Denver. Denver soundboard entails only Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta Love. This soundboard covers the end of Rock and Roll to No Quarter (and yes, No Quarter is complete), with Over the Hills strangely edited out. And as revealed already by hindenburg and others, the CD I got is mislabeled. It is from the Salt Lake City '73 soundboard.

17 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

This is definitely Salt Lake City, it's a well-known rip-off.  I believe this has the Georgia on My Mind snippet, a sure give-away.

Yes, there is a Georgia snippet on the Salt Lake tape. But not on this CD I have as it only encompasses five songs from the first half of the show.

16 hours ago, Ocean73 said:

Denver Co. as I remember it.A good sounding clip from 73' is all that matters.But speaking of was a actual New Mexico 73' show tape rumoured to exist?

It's not Denver as explained above. No tape has yet to surface of Albuquerque '73. That's why I was taken aback when I saw this CD in the bin. Haven't even heard of a reputable rumour of one existing.

• 4 years later...
On 1/23/2023 at 9:44 AM, greengrass said:

I was at that show in Albuquerque and havent heard that C/D but you youtube has some vids from the "Albuquerque" show you can compare it to.  

Nevermind its probably not. Its got the end of Rock and Roll like you said and that is all.