Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
strombringer101

1975 -1977 recordings,

On 4/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, confounded_bridge said:

1973  and  1975:  Reel  to  reel

1977: Cassette

The  '73  and  '80  sbd  recordings  were  stolen  from  Jimmy's  house. That's  why  they  circulate  since  the  eighties  and  thats  why  we  have  never   seen  a  new  '73  or  '80  sbd  released  by  E.V. Whoever  transferred  the  sound  from  the  reels  to  the  cassettes, did  a  really  bad  job  with  the  tape  machines. The  '75  and  '77  sbd  recordings  most  likely  come  from  a  showco  employee  which  copied  the  original  master  tapes  before  giving  them  to  Jimmy. E.V.  buys  the  first  generation  copies  and  releases  them.

I’ll bet the 1973 open reels (surely in Jimmy possession) sound great like the 1975 reels.  I’ll even bet the 1973 cassette transfers that Jimmy has (which are probably the tapes that were stolen) probably sound really nice too.  

It’s the “down and dirty transfers” made from Jimmys stolen cassette which is where the quality drops a lot.   We’re lucky to have them but I believe those copies are where the quality loss happened.   (I’ll bet the 1980 tapes that were stolen weren’t the masters either but 1st gen copies Jimmy had made for listening purposes - and also the fragments UK/euro 1983 tapes too).  

Surely those U.K. and Euro 1973 masters are complete but the backup/listening copies are what was stolen and poorly transferred and why they are lesser quality and I’m complete.   

The 1977 shows - it’s anyone guess.  Had they been done on metal bias cassette tapes with the bias set properly and the levels pumped up high during the actual recording them I’ll bet they would have sounded even better but one one really know for sure.  

For example wasn’t a huge batch of Genesis soundboard cassettes found about 10-15 years ago in old film storage conrainers and most were done on el cheapo 120 min. normal bias cassettes?   Same could have been done with Zeppelin and why the quality isn’t as sparkling as the 1975 tapes - which sound fantastic.   

Hard to believe the sound techs from those tours haven’t turned up on this forums to discuss this stuff in depth.   It would be fascinating.  :)

On 5/6/2019 at 11:49 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

I’ll bet the 1973 open reels (surely in Jimmy possession) sound great like the 1975 reels.

I  agree  100%