Does 'Coda' Count?

KraschenBern

Hell yes include Coda. I don't care what anyone says, I love that album and every song is damn fine. The only weak point is Ozone Baby and that is due to the use of the Harmonizer and the repeated line Robert does toward the end which is kind of lame, otherwise I like the song quite a bit.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:38 PM, KraschenBern said:

I'm putting together a "Zep A to Z" playlist. When I do these, I only include "official" releases (album cuts, singles, B-sides) but generally not unreleased, demos, alternate takes, cuts from "deluxe"/reissues, etc.

Which puts something like Coda in a weird spot. I don't consider it a "real" Zep album, really... (I know others feel the same about ITTOD but that counts!)

So what say, you, Internet? Should I include the songs on the original Coda on my list?

Yeah, the songs count... but it's not a "Zep" album.

All the band members played on it.

jimmy page sequenced it and produced it.

there is an epic, a bluesy number, a hard hitter, acoustic track. Etc 

all the tracks were recorded during zeppelins creative periods

it says led zeppelin on the cover

the only doubt could be that they had already broken up when it was released.

i don’t even count the idea that it was only done to fulfil a contract. I think it happened to fulfil the contract but that wasn’t entirely it’s purpose.

its firmly an important  part of the story of led zeppelin 

so it’s a zeppelin album for me.

but does celebration day count as a zeppelin live album?

On 9/8/2018 at 2:20 AM, JAP said:

i don’t even count the idea that it was only done to fulfil a contract. I think it happened to fulfil the contract but that wasn’t entirely it’s purpose.

Great points.

What I think is funny as hell is how much shade Coda gets, yet when the re-releases happened people bitched there was not enough unreleased material "Um, where is Fire? Jimmy you RAT!!!"

No matter what Jimmy does, some people are never satisfied.

Coda is a Zeppelin album for all the reasons you posed. Celebration Day is not as there was no Bonzo, however I still think it a damn fine concert. 

On 9/8/2018 at 4:20 AM, JAP said:

I have my Celebration Day CD in front of me now. And it says "Led Zeppelin" on it.

In the booklet with Celebration Day, JP is quoted as referring to the event as a "Led Zeppelin reunion."

Celebration Day IS a Led Zeppelin live album.

5 hours ago, The Rover said:

I have my Celebration Day CD in front of me now. And it says "Led Zeppelin" on it.

In the booklet with Celebration Day, JP is quoted as referring to the event as a "Led Zeppelin reunion."

Celebration Day IS a Led Zeppelin live album.

But it’s not THE Led Zeppelin 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, to. Me the Physical Graffiti analogy doesn't hold because the "old" songs were put on while the band was still an active unit. Coda was released two yrs after the band broke up. Yes it's an official release, but the band was kind of forced to do the

album. And the band members had to overdub in 81'-82' to shine up and complete some of the songs. I think that as a whole

the forced album doesn't count, but obviously the band (had?) full creative control and they are Zep songs, so I have to play

word games and say as individual songs they count. I definetly thought Coda was not a bad album, but it's simply not on

the track compared to all other official studio releases, Bonzo had no input on it, for starters. Again, a game of semantics.

It is absolutely official, but the album WAS not including Bonzo's input, and Zep wasn't like other bands with easily replaced ( well not always easy)members. You take Bonzo out, you are removing an absolutely hard wired part of the Zep structure, the

whole structure collapses. Again, word games, subtleties. Like the Celebration Day release, it says Led Zeppelin( I have it somewhere, does it actually say that ?)but really it's the remaining members and Jason Bonham. However Jason had really

gotten damn good, and at that point I guess the rest of the band, and Jason's lineage now made him an official band member(?!?!?!). If there had been a tour, would it be Led Zeppelin, or Led Zeppelin featuring Jason Bonham , or some other

title ? Just pointing out there are different and possibly very valid reasons to support a number of views , particularly CODA.

It counts. Of course it counts..  It is more than a contract obligation.. much more.. Just listen to how prominent the drums are in the mix.. True, John Bonham wasn’t there to add his input to the running order.. Jimmy Page, the Producer spoke very loudly on his behalf. This was a heartfelt tribute to a fallen bandmate.. 

17 minutes ago, the chase said:

It counts. Of course it counts..  It is more than a contract obligation.. much more.. Just listen to how prominent the drums are in the mix.. True, John Bonham wasn’t there to add his input to the running order.. Jimmy Page, the Producer spoke very loudly on his behalf. This was a heartfelt tribute to a fallen bandmate.. 

:thumbsup:

On September 5, 2018 at 11:02 PM, No Quota said:

Back in the Stone Age  when bootlegs were as rare as silver nickels Coda got its share of play just as much as 1 through ITTOD. 

In fact the one two punch of WGG and ICQY is the cause of most of my hearing loss. 

Yes vote here 

I can totally relate to playing the first 2 songs loud. I bought coda in the mid 80s along with robert plants, pictures at eleven, both on vinyl obviously, coda was a bargain bin cutout. It was very interesting hearing those 2 records together...favoring and comparing the songs. Initially i lost interest in coda, yet always went to it, to blast we're gonna groove. Being the "mixed tape" that it was, i appreciated coda song by song over time. In later decades, liking walters walk and bonzos montreux, the most. 

• 5 weeks later...

It absolutely is a Led Zeppelin album. Especially for me as it was my first Led Zep album (bought for me as a Christmas present). At that time I had only ever heard Side A of IV on n old cassette that ran out just before the end. It was a year or so later before I ever hear the bit where plant sings the last line acapella. People forget there was no internet back then, no Led Zeppelin on TV. There were no magazines in my world with anything about LZ. I didn't know that the theme to Top of the Pops was a Led Zep riff. There was no classic rock radio in rural Ireland. I didn't even know what they looked like. For some reason i imagined Plant to look something like what Axl Rose with a headband! When I started to meet Led Zep fans thereafter they would look at me with almost envy that I hadn't heard Kashmir yet. 

So CODA was my first. I loved the mysterious outer cover. And the texture of the cover. Plus I loved the name as I knew it was their last closing statemnt. And inside a wealth of amazing photographs. I didn't know then the story of Zeppelin. I didn't know that it was an album of left overs. I knew it sounded different to Side A of IV.    So 'We're Gonna Groove' was my Whole Lotta Love. To me it was powerful and wild. With an amazing mid section and that staccato drum break. Bonzo's Montreaux was my Moby Dick. I loved it then and I love it now. Poor Tom was probably my LZ111 moment. A band that could rock the walls down and then do something so authentically folky. Darlene to me was what many big Led Zeppelin stomp rock songs have been over the years. Big pounding drums and guitar. Wearing and Tearing could easily have been on PG. Wild and punkish.

At that time, not knowing what I was going to hear later, it was the best album I had heard because it was Zeppelin and they're there, playing and doing what Zep do. So for me it was the complete Zep album experience. I can only guess what it must have been like for older Zep fans of that era to hear that a new album/collection was coming out and the wait and the expectation. 

My next album was IV and I finally heard the last line of STH. And the journey began and it took many years for me to appreciate Presence and ITTOD to the same extent and eventually beyond. And I still think WGG is one of there greatest rockers. 

Archived