Super Deluxe Box Set, TSRTS

Allister

On 9/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, Allister said:

It is a DVD file. It is still formatted in 5.1...I think "Blueray" only enhances video. So, DVD audio should be the same. Most Blueray players will also play DVDs, as well.

I may be wrong...

It's very confusing, but here's the key difference: The DVD and Blu-Ray both have the same lossless high-res stereo track. But because of space limitations the DVD's 5.1 surround track is lossy DTS (and/or Dolby digital), whereas the Blu-Ray's 5.1 surround track is lossless DTS-HD.

Now in practice, can you hear the difference? That depends on one's setup I suppose. IMHO, the sonic difference will be small.

3 hours ago, Wildernesshike said:

I purchased the download.  The sound quality is significantly improved.  Plant's vocals are more clear on nearly every song.  At some points, drums are better defined and not as recessed.  Overall, I get the impression that this is how the album should have sounded all along.  I am wondering what was done with the remaster to improve the sound quality.  Is the tech better now for remastering?

25 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

They remastered off the 2007 release, so I imagine they only adjusted the mix and balance from the multitrack they had saved for that release. The problem with many recordings between 2000 and 2012 is over-compression, known as the "Loudness wars". For some reason record labels got into a competition to see how much they could increase the volume on CDs. In order to keep the audio from distorting, they had to compress the hell out of it, resulting in inferior sound quality. These remasters have the compression dialed back which gives the instruments more space. It's the one thing they did right with them.

Agree 100% with gibsonfan. The new mastering is just that - a remastering of the already mixed 2-track stereo and 5.1 track multichannel from 2007. The difference - as with How the West Was Won - is that John Davis has done a better job now, with a different mastering philosophy, than Kevin Shirley did back in 2007 (or 2003 in the case of HTWWW).

The improvement on both releases is similar: less compressed (because this time around little or no compression was used in mastering - the only compression is what was already baked into the mix, which was Shirley's prior work); and somewhat different EQ choices that seem to create a less fatiguing, less artificially "modern/punchy," more laid-back and natural sound.

As with all these "improvements" i have to say (and not just with zeppelin releases) 

i buy them with the expectation of being blown away and find after a few plays i go back to a good 

quality original copy. In that spirit a mint original TSRTS is winging it's way to me from a 2nd hand record dealer

at a signifcantly cheaper price to boot!

I own a few different versions of The Song Remains The Same. On vinyl, I own the original release along with a limited edition white vinyl of the Kevin Shirley mix along with the RTI Half-Speed Remaster of the Kevin Shirley mix.

In regards to the quality of the Box itself: I like the vinyl sleeves along with the CD sleeves as well as the booklet. I just wish the outside box was the same quality. (Jimmy did this with his signed copies of the Soundtracks box)

In regards to the audio:

Overall impression is that the guitar is more prominent in the mix. With that, other instruments suffer. Mainly John Bonham's drums becomes the victim. (Outside of Kevin Shirley neutering of Bonzo's bass drum in the original 2007 mix)

Depending on what song, John Paul Jones' bass becomes more or less prominent. For example, on Rock and Roll, Jones' bass is less prominent with Over The Hills and Far Away it is more prominent.

Then there is Dazed and Confused. Before the violin bow section the bass is prominent, after the violin bow section the bass is significantly less prominent. I have never heard this on any vinyl before!

I listened to the download version and the issues I mentioned above are consistent as well. So it is how the audio is mastered.

Additionally, Robert Plant's introduction (edited) to the track The Song Remains The Same is on the download but not on the vinyl.

I wished that the edits to some of the songs were put back but that was wishing too much I guess. Especially No Quarter; there is a lot of empty vinyl space on that side.

Overall the physical production of the box is very good to excellent. The audio (per the vinyl) is disappointing.

36 minutes ago, sixpense said:

I own a few different versions of The Song Remains The Same. On vinyl, I own the original release along with a limited edition white vinyl of the Kevin Shirley mix along with the RTI Half-Speed Remaster of the Kevin Shirley mix.

In regards to the quality of the Box itself: I like the vinyl sleeves along with the CD sleeves as well as the booklet. I just wish the outside box was the same quality. (Jimmy did this with his signed copies of the Soundtracks box)

In regards to the audio:

Overall impression is that the guitar is more prominent in the mix. With that, other instruments suffer. Mainly John Bonham's drums becomes the victim. (Outside of Kevin Shirley neutering of Bonzo's bass drum in the original 2007 mix)

Depending on what song, John Paul Jones' bass becomes more or less prominent. For example, on Rock and Roll, Jones' bass is less prominent with Over The Hills and Far Away it is more prominent.

Then there is Dazed and Confused. Before the violin bow section the bass is prominent, after the violin bow section the bass is significantly less prominent. I have never heard this on any vinyl before!

I listened to the download version and the issues I mentioned above are consistent as well. So it is how the audio is mastered.

Additionally, Robert Plant's introduction (edited) to the track The Song Remains The Same is on the download but not on the vinyl.

I wished that the edits to some of the songs were put back but that was wishing too much I guess. Especially No Quarter; there is a lot of empty vinyl space on that side.

Overall the physical production of the box is very good to excellent. The audio (per the vinyl) is disappointing.

Thanks for your impressions. If Bonzo's drums are the victim I'm definitely passing on this. Do they sound more natural though compared to the boosted , over compressed 2007 release? 

On 9/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, Pilot of the Storm said:

So I ordered the super deluxe box set from LZ.com ages ago, thinking this was the honourable thing to do.... and it's not yet in my hands!!! Very frustrating. Received an email on the eve of the release (6th) from Music Glue stating the following:

"Please allow up to 10 business days for your order to arrive. If your order has not arrived by September 20 please get in touch by replying to this email."

WTF!! Really expected better service than that.

Finally got my hands on it today (11th)!!! Blasting out now. Me: Happy Bunny. Wife: Not so Happy Bunny 😁

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...