PROOF THAT ANOTHER 1977 PRO-SHOT VIDEO EXISTS

confounded_bridge

5 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Tell you what, I have seen Jimmy's Laser Show with the firm and his solo act and I have ever seen any of those effects to the naked eye.  I have the vids and I don't even remember seeing anything like that in those vids. But I have seen enough distortions in VHS tapes to say it certainly looks like the same thing.

I'm not saying it is but can you show any other photos that show this effect or not? 

No I cannot because I don't know how to post still images on this site as I can be a bit tech dopey. However I am sure you can do your own research and find some.

On 9/13/2018 at 12:46 PM, mrledhed said:

WRONG. The Houston 1977 soundboard has the same 45 min cuts, they just covered them up. It is definitely a soundboard like the other 1977 tapes. 

NO. I  listened  to  it  carefully  and  I  didn't  find  any  cuts, covered  or  not. (Except  bron  yr  aur  stomp.) And  it  sounds  waaay  different, compared  to  the  other  tapes. Prove  your  claim  if  you  want.

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

No I cannot because I don't know how to post still images on this site as I can be a bit tech dopey. However I am sure you can do your own research and find some.

so you can't figure out how to use the add other media option but I should simply take your word that what I am seeing in that photo is due to dry ice and not what looks like video tracking issues.    Riiiiiiiiighht

Im gonna say it's in the picture. .You can tell the line goes across the pic through the drum and the pyramid. . Is this gonna get us our end goal of a killer video with great sound and all the fixin's??  The answer is probably no.  Wether or not Im right I dont care but I thought it was pretty funny that the admins put this topic in the newbie section:):):)

9 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

so you can't figure out how to use the add other media option but I should simply take your word that what I am seeing in that photo is due to dry ice and not what looks like video tracking issues.    Riiiiiiiiighht

Not quite sure what your problem is as I was just trying to give insight from personal experience. If you have a problem conducting your own research that's your problem not mine. It is not up to me or the group in general to disprove your claim. When you make a possibly outrageous claim it is incumbent on you to back it up, not the other way around.

Good luck

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Not quite sure what your problem is as I was just trying to give insight from personal experience. If you have a problem conducting your own research that's your problem not mine. It is not up to me or the group in general to disprove your claim. When you make a possibly outrageous claim it is incumbent on you to back it up, not the other way around.

Good luck

You made the claim that you know exactly what is causing the effect in the pic, not me.  

So it turns out (thanks zeplz71) this photo is actually MSG not Houston. I guess there will always be someone trying to claim there is Houston video despite all the evidence to the contrary.

About those lines. I saw Jimmy's laser pyramid plenty of times and those lasers were always straight and pure. Always. That's why they were called laser beams, ferchrissakes. The only way they would change direction is if they were bounced off a reflective surface. Mere smoke would not be enough to cause a laser beam to go all squiggly. 

Now the regular stage lights would get all splotchy and shift shapes amongst the smokey walls of the pyramid. But whatever the cause of those laser zig-zags in that image, it happened after the fact and not during the concert.

To OP --- The photo is from New York 1977, so it has absolutely nothing to do with some fake Houston 77 video story.  The anomaly in the photo likely occurred during scanning.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

So, this Richard guy who is credited on the Getty image...what's his story? Was he the guy who filmed the footage? Or was he a friend of the original cameraman and he took the photo of his friend's tape? Maybe the guy even made him a copy of his tape?

This "Richard guy" was a well known NY area rock photographer, published in tons of magazines back in the day.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, IpMan said:

The line distortions are simple to explain and has nothing to do with video. The lasers moving through the dry ice causes a distortion, a prism effect to a certain degree making the beam "appear" distorted or shifted when in fact it is not, it is in fact an optical illusion and would have looked exactly the same to the audience right there live. 

I saw this affect during the 77' tour stop in Chicago (don't remember it very well as I was quite young) and again during the 85' Firm & 88' Outrider tours (these I remember quite well). The above picture captures exactly how this affect looked to the audience live.

So to recap, dry ice + lasers = distorted images (including the drum kit as it was reflective chrome).

Mystery solved

So are you saying the camera was seeing an optical illusion? You realize the distortion is all the way across the image, just not in front of the lasers? It could be a shutter effect. Maybe the camera was bumped as they snapped the pic?

Start at 12:56 and you will see the exact same optical distortion caused by the dry ice. It is not smoke which causes this affect to appear as it does, it is the water molecules in the dry ice which causes this.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Start at 12:56 and you will see the exact same optical distortion caused by the dry ice. It is not smoke which causes this affect to appear as it does, it is the water molecules in the dry ice which causes this.

I see, but why is the drum set affected?

Edit: The question is irrelevant since the pic is actually from 6/7/77. And there is some video footage from this show. So, though the dry ice affect may be real, this could still be a video tracking affect.

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I see, but why is the drum set affected?

Edit: The question is irrelevant since the pic is actually from 6/7/77. And there is some video footage from this show. So, though the dry ice affect may be real, this could still be a video tracking affect.

The drum kit is affected because it is chrome. Everyone refers to this kit as stainless steel but it is not, or at least the shell is chrome. Stainless steel has a matte, brushed finish which this kit does not, it is chrome and chrome is very reflective.

I could be wrong, hell, I really cannot say for sure I am just offering a possible explanation contrary to others beliefs on the subject. As I mentioned before I saw Jimmy with the pyramid on three separate occasions and I remember two of them and both times when the dry ice was used the beams were bent as a result. Also, I was not stoned at either show nor drunk. The only time I like to partake of the weed at a concert is if it is a band I am only mildly interested in, or, I have seen them earlier in the tour as well. Weed and liquor are the only drugs I take and I use both in moderation only as I hate being either drunk or wasted.

Anyway, I don't know. Maybe we can ask Jimmy (or Mr. Jimmy Sakura) to bring out the old laser pyramid and dry ice machine and see what happens. Possibly contact Mythbusters? I don't know about anyone else but I would sure like to see that lovely red-head wield a laser bow any time.

Back in the late '80s/early '90s, this bloke, Fred Robbins, was a Banshees uber fan and basically made his living selling tapes and videos of them.
At one point, he put hundreds of his rare Banshees photos onto VHS and sold that - basically, a photogallery of stills on video.
I never bothered with it, so I don't know how they looked - but could this be from something similar?
Maybe one of a series of photos on an old VHS, hence the lines that look like the tracking was off, copied to dvd? I dunno. Just a thought. 

Slightly off topic but would it be reasonable to think an audience member in 1977 would have anything better to film these shows with besides an 8mm? I l really dig the 8mm footage on Youtube but as others have noted you can barely see the lasers.

4 hours ago, Daeron said:

Slightly off topic but would it be reasonable to think an audience member in 1977 would have anything better to film these shows with besides an 8mm? I l really dig the 8mm footage on Youtube but as others have noted you can barely see the lasers.

That's "Super 8" to you, my friend. 😊

To  sum  up, this  is  from  MSG  and  its  either  a  VHS  tape  loaded  with  photos, or  a  very  good  quality  amateur  film, transferred  to  tape. Mystery  finally  solved. Thanks  for  the  info  guys!  I  still  hope  that  the  uncirculated  8mm  films  from  Pontiac, L.A.  and  Birmingham  will  show  up  one  day.

12 minutes ago, confounded_bridge said:

To  sum  up, this  is  from  MSG  and  its  either  a  VHS  tape  loaded  with  photos, or  a  very  good  quality  amateur  film, transferred  to  tape. Mystery  finally  solved. Thanks  for  the  info  guys!  I  still  hope  that  the  uncirculated  8mm  films  from  Pontiac, L.A.  and  Birmingham  will  show  up  one  day.

You can see the photographers/possible camera crew in front of the stage.

Screenshot_20180915-190648.png

Archived