The True King of Rock and Roll

gibsonfan159

I get exactly what you are saying!  I would much rather put on music by Chuck Berry or Little Richard, (or Carl Perkins, or Bo Diddley or Eddie Cochran or ...).

HOWEVER, Elvis Presley is  and was the undisputed "King of Rock and Roll", because he brought the music to the people and sparked the Rock and Roll revolution.  As John Lennon said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing."

On 9/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, chef free said:

I get exactly what you are saying!  I would much rather put on music by Chuck Berry or Little Richard, (or Carl Perkins, or Bo Diddley or Eddie Cochran or ...).

HOWEVER, Elvis Presley is  and was the undisputed "King of Rock and Roll", because he brought the music to the people and sparked the Rock and Roll revolution.  As John Lennon said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing."

Well then again, John Lennon married Yoko Ono so... Also Elvis dabbled in the 50’s into Rock and Roll. Meanwhile, Chuck Berry lived and breathed the stuff. Elvis is an overrated quack 

3 hours ago, TheMadIrishman said:

Well then again, John Lennon married Yoko Ono so... Also Elvis dabbled in the 50’s into Rock and Roll. Meanwhile, Chuck Berry lived and breathed the stuff. Elvis is an overrated quack 

Haha, ouch!  That Lennon quote is one of those that just make you go ..huh? Was it out of context, was he completely high , was he being facetious? Because before Elvis there was plenty....Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Professor Longhair, Big Mama Thornton, Louis Jordan ...all kinds of black music that paved the way. Elvis may be king , but he's the commercial king, not the musical king. All this.. "King, the greatest of all time, the best ever" ,  is nonsense when it comes to art anyway. King of sales? I guess. I suppose his influence was greater than his peers. I dunno. 

Edited by porgie66

These comments say more about the posters themselves than about Elvis. I mean, Elvis is long dead (no, he is not kicking back drinking Jack Daniels with Jim Morrison in Tahiti) and his position in history is irrefutable and nothing posted on the internet will change that.

And this is just dumb. His music may not be your cup of tea but to say he was a quack shows an inability to hear a great voice. Maybe you did not like how he used that voice but everyone who knew music, black and white, recognized that the boy from Tupelo had the goods. 

On 9/26/2018 at 5:06 PM, TheMadIrishman said:

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

These comments say more about the posters themselves than about Elvis. I mean, Elvis is long dead (no, he is not kicking back drinking Jack Daniels with Jim Morrison in Tahiti) and his position in history is irrefutable and nothing posted on the internet will change that.

And this is just dumb. His music may not be your cup of tea but to say he was a quack shows an inability to hear a great voice. Maybe you did not like how he used that voice but everyone who knew music, black and white, recognized that the boy from Tupelo had the goods. 

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy Elvis a lot. He’s a great musician BUT, his contribution to rock and roll is nothing compared to the people he stood on the backs of. He is one of the most overrated musicians. Sure he had loads of hits but this doesn’t mean he’s “The King of Rock and Roll”. After the 50’s, he really started more into rythm and blues and country music. Chuck Berry on the other hand was a much better musician. He was and is rock and roll at its purist 

Side note: Nobody in any of these threads has an inability to hear a great voice because we are all Zeppelin fans

17 hours ago, Strider said:

If you haven't watched the complete 1968 Comeback Special, you should.

That's a classic and I have the expanded dvd version which is amazing.  One of the greatest vocal performances ever by anyone with his "If I Can Dream."  Just incredible.  I love his live performances and have a lot of the dvds and cds.  Even the one from his last show is amazing even with the condition he was in.  Watching him play piano and sing "Unchained Melody" is another highlight and one of his best.  Check into "That's The Way It Is" from performances in 1970.  I think a lot of this was from the International Hotel in Vegas where he did many residencies.  Probably the first performer to do these. 

I'm a huge fan of his and have been to Graceland twice with a bunch of friends.  We stayed at the former Heartbreak Hotel across the street from Graceland.  We stayed in the Graceland Suite and a miniature version of Graceland.  There was even a mini Jungle Room with a waterfall.  Suite was 1,100 square feet and had 7 TVs.  It was awesome and quite the party palace for us in between trips to Beale Street, Stax, Sun Studios and amazing bbq joints.

You're other comments above this post are spot on about The King and agree 100%!

8 hours ago, SuperDave said:

That's a classic and I have the expanded dvd version which is amazing.  One of the greatest vocal performances ever by anyone with his "If I Can Dream."  Just incredible.  I love his live performances and have a lot of the dvds and cds.  Even the one from his last show is amazing even with the condition he was in.  Watching him play piano and sing "Unchained Melody" is another highlight and one of his best.  Check into "That's The Way It Is" from performances in 1970.  I think a lot of this was from the International Hotel in Vegas where he did many residencies.  Probably the first performer to do these. 

I'm a huge fan of his and have been to Graceland twice with a bunch of friends.  We stayed at the former Heartbreak Hotel across the street from Graceland.  We stayed in the Graceland Suite and a miniature version of Graceland.  There was even a mini Jungle Room with a waterfall.  Suite was 1,100 square feet and had 7 TVs.  It was awesome and quite the party palace for us in between trips to Beale Street, Stax, Sun Studios and amazing bbq joints.

You're other comments above this post are spot on about The King and agree 100%!

John Lennon and Robert Plant and Johnny Cash knew the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

"King or Queen" of this or that I have never agreed with or understood. No artist who cares about the history of a genre would even want that label.

Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, Count Bassie, Sister Rosetta Tharp, Ike Turner, T-Bone Walker, and so many more never get mentioned in these discussions and should.

Elvis was a great talent, but he didn't invent rock and roll

• 8 months later...