Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

34 minutes ago, anniemouse said:

As a newbie (ish) I am curious which bootleg from that time period would have been ideal to formally clean up and give and official release to.

The first five songs from April 27, 1969 (Train Kept A Rollin, I Can't Quit You Baby, As Long As I Have You, You Shook Me, How Many More Times.) The sound quality is already good and could be cleaned up easily, and those songs have full stereo separation so they already sound like a traditional live album with the guitar in the right channel. Of course, they'd have to pay royalties on Train and As Long As I Have You , which will probably keep them from being released. That's too bad too, as I think it would great for the casual fan who doesn't have any bootlegs to get to hear them for the first time. It would be like getting two new Zep songs for the 50th, which would be a big deal if you never heard them before. 

4 hours ago, anniemouse said:

As a newbie (ish) I am curious which bootleg from that time period would have been ideal to formally clean up and give and official release to.

He already did it with the awful How The West Was Won. Dreadful attempt to make one of their all time best shows sound palatable. When I first heard it I sold it on e bay. If I want to hear that 72 show with great sound I'll stick to Burn like a Candle thanks very much.

I think we as fans ask to much. I know there is Bootleg  collectors who share their stuff even after remastered it still sounds like crap. What more can a band that hasn’t performed since June of 1980 give yeah that most will not bitch about? I remember reading in here how people were complaining about how RP sang at a lower note during the 07’ concert. Jimmy and Robert have both stated “their is no other film concert of the Band” 

there person that I believe has kept the Zeppelin from flying again is Robert Plant. I truly believe he is done with the band on a performance wise. Furthermore do you want to see a 75 year old man playing hits that made us go wow, then seeing grandpa trying to rock....lol Hell no. Robert Plant is old and can barely sing the Zeppelin stuff, if he doesn’t turn it into country Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin is done and this 50th was a joke, but understandable because of the lack of official material that has been generated during Zeppelin time; meaningful filmed shows besides TSRTS, live audio recordings done by the band. Led Zeppelin wasn’t a merchandising band, they were a live experience that got huge by the word of mouth. Example Led Zeppelin tour in 1977 in NYC they didn’t even have to promote it, no radio ads or nothing. Word of mouth. To me the magic of Led Zeppelin is their unbelievably awesome official catalog of albums. You can keep your 30 min version of No quarter...boring. I will stick with the clean sounds of the official. I guess in short. Quit complaining and get the Led Out!

Remember its April 1st

17 hours ago, LurksReturnington said:

It's generous of the Zeppelin to even consider filling for the Stones at the Jazz festival. 2 short notice for a typical set, but seems like a good opportunity to do covers..

Jimmy Page was his usual cagey self when asked directly if there were any upcoming Zeppelin releases for the bands 50th anniversary. While he did confirm that a new live album was in the pipeline, he wasn’t eager to share the specific details about when it would come out or which concert would be featured. He did, however, spill the beans a bit in that the new release will also include video

Jimmy Page:  “Well, the original plan was to release it in November , you know, but then we found there was actually film of the show, so once we acquired that, the logical thing was to marry the two, and of course,  that makes things much more time-consuming, I mean this stuff is 50 years old, it has to be transferred properly, so this delayed things quite a bit, but I think the fans will be pleased with the final product, which should be ready soon”

58 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

unfortunately, yes. You guys are onto me, no one falls for my pranks anymore 😀

To be fair, I think the poster was also referring to LurksReturnington's post, hehe.

All this talk of being patient with Jimmy is fine...up to a point. I mean, the "solo album of new music" has been promised for 10 years now, if not longer. And everyone knew that the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin was coming up. It's not like it was a secret and snuck up on people. There should have been something ready for the pipeline.

Since the hype for Led Zeppelin's 50th anniversary started appearing in the media last year, Neil Young has released two archival shows (the 1973 "Tonight's the Night" Roxy debut show and "Songs for Judy", an official release of the long-bootlegged Joel Bernstein/Cameron Crowe tape compilation of the acoustic sets of the 1976 tour with Crazy Horse) and the Rolling Stones have released FOUR items (the BBC "On-Air" set, the 50th anniversary edition of "Beggars Banquet", Miami 1994 cd/dvd/blu-ray, and San Jose 1998 cd/dvd/blu-ray)!!!

You don't need perfect multi-tracks to put out a decent live album in today's world.

Edited by Strider

On 4/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, Strider said:

To be fair, I think the poster was also referring to LurksReturnington's post, hehe.

All this talk of being patient with Jimmy is fine...up to a point. I mean, the "solo album of new music" has been promised for 10 years now, if not longer. And everyone knew that the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin was coming up. It's not like it was a secret and snuck up on people. There should have been something ready for the pipeline.

Since the hype for Led Zeppelin's 50th anniversary started appearing in the media last year, Neil Young has released two archival shows (the 1973 "Tonight's the Night" Roxy debut show and "Songs for Judy", an official release of the long-bootlegged Joel Bernstein/Cameron Crowe tape compilation of the acoustic sets of the 1976 tour with Crazy Horse) and the Rolling Stones have released FOUR items (the BBC "On-Air" set, the 50th anniversary edition of "Beggars Banquet", Miami 1994 cd/dvd/blu-ray, and San Jose 1998 cd/dvd/blu-ray)!!!

You don't need perfect multi-tracks to put out a decent live album in today's world.

Spot on ! 

On 4/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, Strider said:

I never put much stock in Jimmy releasing any more solo material. The solo artist path doesn't seem to be an enjoyable one for him. 

Page doesn't operate in a vacuum in regards to releasing Zeppelin material. Someone should ask Plant or Jones why nothing has been released to coincide with Zeppelin's 50th anniversary.

Edited by Chicago

On 4/1/2019 at 11:55 AM, badgeholder said:

Jimmy Page was his usual cagey self when asked directly if there were any upcoming Zeppelin releases for the bands 50th anniversary. While he did confirm that a new live album was in the pipeline, he wasn’t eager to share the specific details about when it would come out or which concert would be featured. He did, however, spill the beans a bit in that the new release will also include video

Jimmy Page:  “Well, the original plan was to release it in November , you know, but then we found there was actually film of the show, so once we acquired that, the logical thing was to marry the two, and of course,  that makes things much more time-consuming, I mean this stuff is 50 years old, it has to be transferred properly, so this delayed things quite a bit, but I think the fans will be pleased with the final product, which should be ready soon”

And there's booking the time at Shepperton Studios to finish off the project...

Edited by The Rover

• 2 weeks later...

I believe, and have said it before, that the 50th Anniversary has come and gone in any meaningful way. The fact that Record Store Day came and went on Saturday, without a contribution from Zeppelin, really belies a significant missed opportunity, especially considering that Page is such a vinyl enthusiast. Had anything been in the pipeline, then RSD would have been a perfect vehicle to prime the fan base and keep the enthusiasm alive. I mean, we still might see a 50th Anniversary Beanie Baby or perhaps a Zeppelin Starship LEGO model, but other than that, I firmly believe that the anniversary is done in any meaningful way, and Zeppelin, unfortunately, screwed it up beyond all reason given the initial statements by Page. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...