Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

7 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Did the band approve this?

IDK but,  it's about as generic as you can get. I do graphic arts and I could have farted a better design than that. Make no mistake, the guy who put that together got paid good money for about 15 minutes of work and that includes starting the computer and opening whatever prog he uses

13 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

IDK but,  it's about as generic as you can get. I do graphic arts and I could have farted a better design than that. Make no mistake, the guy who put that together got paid good money for about 15 minutes of work and that includes starting the computer and opening whatever prog he uses

I don’t get these band approvals if they did approve it, the same thing happened with Sabbath’s 13 Tour, the most generic merchandise you ever saw, I actually had to buy a counterfeit one for a quarter of the price because the design was so much better, this is after I paid like $50 bucks for a genuine concert T-shirt at the stand.

• Administrators

50 Years Ago today, Led Zeppelin played their first American concert in Denver. Here's a radio interview with promoter Barry Fey (from 2012):

December 26, 2018  

The Denver Auditorium Hosted The First Live Led Zeppelin Concert in the U.S. on December 26, 1968.
To Honor This Occasion, Feyline and The Pineapple Agency Collaborate With City and County of Denver to Proclaim the Day "Led Zeppelin Day."

DENVER (PRWEB) - Today is the 50th anniversary of the first live performance of English rock legends Led Zeppelin in the U.S., which occurred at the Denver Auditorium on December 26, 1968. To commemorate this date as one of the most important moments in rock and roll history, the City and County of Denver's Mayor Office has proclaimed December 26th Led Zeppelin Day, where a plaque will be presented to the Colorado Music Hall of Fame at an upcoming special event in 2019.

Fans of the iconic band may not know the Denver Auditorium was the first venue to host Led Zeppelin in America. At the time, late concert promoter Barry Fey almost turned down the act. In order to convince Fey, headline act Vanilla Fudge paid half the cost to book Led Zeppelin, adding them to the lineup just 10 days prior to the show. Many in the crowd had no idea the group was added. Those who were there were reportedly so impressed they flooded the local FM rock station KLZ with calls requesting to hear the band.

"Congratulations to Colorado music fans and the family of concert promoter Barry Fey (inducted in 2012) for the Mayor and City of Denver's proclamation designating December 26, 2018 as Led Zeppelin Day commemorating the band's legendary 1st U.S. appearance right here in Denver in 1968," said Chris Daniels, Executive Director of the Colorado Music Hall of Fame. "Thanks to the Mayor for helping to promote the long history of music in Colorado and to the family of Barry Fey, who had the vision to bring a young British band to Colorado for their debut concert in the U.S. They opened for Vanilla Fudge at the old Denver Auditorium. Back then tickets were just $5 and the band was paid a total of $1,500, half of which came from Vanilla Fudge's proceeds from the concert. The Colorado Music Hall of Fame presented by Comfort Dental will be proud and honored to display the plaque at our home at the Trading Post at Red Rocks."

On 12/23/2018 at 12:46 AM, hummingbird69 said:

Terrible and just goes to show how important the surviving bandmembers

consider the anniversary to be.Same thing with the half hearted photo of them with the book.

While we are on the subject of the book the miserly amount of comment and the need to flick from rear to front

to access it has to be one of the worst pieces of design ever ? Or is it just me.

2 hours ago, andrew r said:

Terrible and just goes to show how important the surviving bandmembers

consider the anniversary to be.Same thing with the half hearted photo of them with the book.

While we are on the subject of the book the miserly amount of comment and the need to flick from rear to front

to access it has to be one of the worst pieces of design ever ? Or is it just me.

A few of you sound like whiny little brats. Wah, I don't like the logo. Wah I hate having to flip through a 400 page book. Wah, worst ever design in the history of the planet earth.  Just shuddup already.

On the subject of marketing, Zep's team are one of the worst I've seen, and I'm not just playing Negative Nancy here. When it comes to merchandise (shirts, posters, etc) Led Zeppelin has some of the most limited and least appealing ever. And this is an extremely marketable group who still has high demand from fans. Why is no one going after this money? I've been browsing posters for weeks to go in my Zep cave and can't find anything beyond the same 7 or 8 posters that pop up everywhere. Believe it or not, the best designed posters I've seen are from the 70s and early 80s. Most of the interesting merchandise today is made by third parties. What's wrong with this picture? Is there licensing issues? Is Percy refusing to cooperate on posters as well?

• Administrators

news report:

9news.JPG

Led Zeppelin played their first U.S. show in Denver

Author: Mike Grady

https://www.9news.com/article/entertainment/led-zeppelin-played-their-first-us-show-in-denver/73-c7a932b8-a914-43ea-a416-e260a278b2b9

Dec. 28, 1968: It was a historic night and a loud introduction of a band to a new country.

Colorado is a beautiful place to play music. Whether it’s strumming a guitar while swinging in a hammock in the mountains or playing to a sold-out crowd at Red Rocks. It’s something many musicians have learned over the years, and something one group of rock-and-roll legends first learned half a century ago.

“Led Zeppelin was added to a bill that was headlined by Vanilla Fudge and Spirit at the Auditorium Arena. It was a sold out show the day after Christmas in 1968,” G. Brown explained.

Brown is the executive director of Colorado Music Experience and has been covering the music scene in town since he was 15. He can easily recall the story of Led Zeppelin’s first U.S. concert that night in Denver.

“Led Zeppelin’s agent, the soon-to-be omnipotent Frank Barcelona, called Barry Fey - the local promoter - and asked him if he’d put them on the bill,” Brown said. “Fey said no because there was no need. The show was sold out. Barcelona drove a hard bargain asked if they could get paid 500 bucks. Fey said sure. Led Zeppelin - not even on the ticket - showed up, did an opening set that apparently wowed the crowd, and set them on their path to stardom.”

It was early in the band’s career. Guitarist Jimmy Page had the most experience touring from his time playing in The Yardbirds.

Other band members had to adjust a lot more to life on the road, including singer Robert Plant.

“[He] was 20 years old,” Brown said. “He tells the story about how it was the end of the world for him to be away from England over Christmas. He also told me in later years that he definitely recalled that he couldn’t believe that the promoter could charge the backstage catering back to the band,” Brown said with a laugh. “That was his introduction to the fabulous concert biz.”

The show is documented in Thomas MacCluskey’s review for the Rocky Mountain News.

“The concert was ranked off by another heavy, the Led Zeppelin, a British group making its first U.S. tour,” MacCluskey wrote. A photo of Page sawing on his guitar with a violin bow appears in the band’s book: LED ZEPPELIN BY LED ZEPPELIN published by Real Art Press.

“Reportedly, at the Denver show, they debuted things that would become their trademarks in concert,” Brown said. “Jimmy Page taking a bow to his guitar strings, and John Bonham playing an extended drum solo.”

It was a historic night and a loud introduction of a band to a new country.

• Administrators

"Led Zeppelin Day" proclaimed today in Denver on 50th anniversary of band's first US concert

Fifty years ago today, December 26, 1968, Led Zeppelin played its first ever concert in the U.S., opening a show for Vanilla Fudge at Colorado’s Denver Auditorium Arena. In honor of the milestone, the Mayor’s Office of the City and County of Denver has proclaimed today “Led Zeppelin Day.”

To commemorate the show, a plaque and a sculpture depicting Led Zeppelin’s Denver performance has been created by a local artist.  It’ll be presented to the Colorado Music Hall of Fame at a special event next year and will go on permanent display at the institution in Morrison, Colorado. The event may also feature an exhibit of Led Zeppelin memorabilia and guest appearances.

As the Hall of Fame’s executive director, Chris Daniels, explains, Vanilla Fudge had to convince local promoter Barry Fey to include Led Zeppelin on the concert bill by offering to pay half of Zeppelin’s requested $1,500 fee out of their own proceeds from the show.

“Thanks to the mayor for helping to promote the long history of music in Colorado and to the family of Barry Fey, who had the vision to bring a young British band to Colorado for their debut concert in the U.S.,” Daniels says in a statement.

According to LedZeppelin.com, the songs that the band played at its first U.S. show were “Train Kept a Rollin’,” “I Can’t Quit You Baby,” “As Long as I Have You,” “Dazed and Confused,” “White Summer/Black Mountainside” and “How Many More Times.”

Interestingly, the Denver concert also featured a set by Spirit, the band whose song “Taurus” Led Zeppelin has been accused of ripping off to create “Stairway to Heaven.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/98516/

19 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

A few of you sound like whiny little brats. Wah, I don't like the logo. Wah I hate having to flip through a 400 page book. Wah, worst ever design in the history of the planet earth.  Just shuddup already.

your response, to quote Bonzo is "over the top" !

On 12/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, zeplz71 said:

This was intended to be comically ironic, right?

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

On the subject of marketing, Zep's team are one of the worst I've seen, and I'm not just playing Negative Nancy here. When it comes to merchandise (shirts, posters, etc) Led Zeppelin has some of the most limited and least appealing ever. And this is an extremely marketable group who still has high demand from fans. Why is no one going after this money? I've been browsing posters for weeks to go in my Zep cave and can't find anything beyond the same 7 or 8 posters that pop up everywhere. Believe it or not, the best designed posters I've seen are from the 70s and early 80s. Most of the interesting merchandise today is made by third parties. What's wrong with this picture? Is there licensing issues? Is Percy refusing to cooperate on posters as well?

Through licensing agreements, Winterland Productions & Myth Gem Ltd. produced some great posters and what not in the '80s & early '90s. It seems to me the internet era essentially killed the market for mass-produced posters because fans can browse thousands of images online, choose their favorites and have them printed poster-sized if that is what they'd like to do. Imagination plays a huge role in developing a great clothing line (t-shirts, jackets) but for a band that disbanded over 40 years ago most merchandisers are going to play it safe. I presume small independent clothiers can't afford Led Zeppelin's licensing fees.  

I’m thankful to see younger folks wearing Led Zeppelin, as it gives me hope for the future (given the lack of actual musicians performing real instruments on most newer mass produced music these days). 

R😎

Edited by reids

15 hours ago, reids said:

I’m thankful to see younger folks wearing Led Zeppelin, as it gives me hope for the future (given the lack of actual musicians performing real instruments on most newer mass produced music these days). 

R😎

I have a Led Zeppelin knit hat that almost never leaves my head in winter, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the number of younger folks who comment on it. Especially the young women. Practically every time I go anywhere there's some 20 year old girl complimenting my hat. It does make me feel good that at least some young people are appreciating good music. Also, getting attention from 20 year old girls sure ain't all that bad either. :)

On 12/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, Balthazor said:

I have a Led Zeppelin knit hat that almost never leaves my head in winter, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the number of younger folks who comment on it. Especially the young women. Practically every time I go anywhere there's some 20 year old girl complimenting my hat. It does make me feel good that at least some young people are appreciating good music. Also, getting attention from 20 year old girls sure ain't all that bad either. :)

When I wear Zep gear over here in the UK no one notices..

They are so much bigger in the US it's untrue

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Today is the 50th anniversary for the release date of Led Zeppelin's debut album so to me that certainly is special.

Same here. Sirius XM channel 106 Volume has been running several Jimmy Page (from 2014)  & RP interviews  as well as other special programs centered on JP / Led Zeppelin all week & throughout this weekend to commemorate his birthday and Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary. On one show, they played a trivia game called, “older or younger then Jimmy Page” (age 75), where the on air personalities (Mark Goodman - original mtv video and Alan Light (former editor for vibe/ rolling stone) would team up in teams of two (along with their producer and another personality) and compete against each other and callers. 

R😎🎸👍

Edited by reids

12 minutes ago, reids said:

Same here. Sirius XM channel 106 Volume has been running several Jimmy Page (from 2014)  & RP interviews  as well as other special programs centered on JP / Led Zeppelin all week & throughout this weekend to commemorate his birthday and Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary. On one show, they played a trivia game called, “older or younger then Jimmy Page” (age 75), where the on air personalities (Mark Goodman - original mtv video and Alan Light (former editor for vibe/ rolling stone) would team up in teams of two (along with their producer and another personality) and compete against each other and callers. 

R😎🎸👍

👍 Cool beans.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

When I wear Zep gear over here in the UK no one notices..

They are so much bigger in the US it's untrue

People are more reserved in Britain. I'm always looking at people's clothes but would never think to comment.

If I see someone with Zeppelin gear on I think 'cool b*stard' to myself.