Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sam_webmaster

Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

Recommended Posts

I'm 58 tomorrow, got (maybe) 20 t-shirts, sweaters, hoodies. Every album at least 4 times (original vinyl, cd, Japanese cd, super deluxe edition box), 4 symbols tattooed on my back and the Swan Song on my arm...

Why not buy these sneakers...ūüėĀ ? Too old?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If THIS is how they feel they can market to millenials, it is beyond sad.  My 10 year nephew only gets to listen to Zep, Stones, ACDC, Johnny Cash etc and he LOVES them!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JTM said:

Aimed at the sort of person who has the t-shirt, owns no albums and only listens on spotify. I'm way too old now to wear these sort of things, I doubt I would have worn them when I was younger anyway, not my kind of thing at all

It's all sadly ironic in a way. The band chose the symbols to replace their actual name on the album packaging as a protest against the music business establishment. And now they're plastered all over shoes.

For some reason, I'd kind of like to have the shoes but I can't imagine actually wearing them. Just about the same way I felt about the snowboard, I guess. In the end, I doubt that I'll be buying any of it. 

Edited by LordStanley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vans rule! The premier skate shoe for over 40 years. I'll definitely be getting a couple pairs of both styles. This has nothing to do with Hot Topic. Only a stick-up-their-ass-fuddy-duddy could complain about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Strider said:

Vans rule! The premier skate shoe for over 40 years. I'll definitely be getting a couple pairs of both styles. This has nothing to do with Hot Topic. Only a stick-up-their-ass-fuddy-duddy could complain about this.

I'm a fuddy-duddy then, miserable old git as my wife sometimes calls me. I can't help it, it's like an older age version of being that stroppy know it all teenager, another massive hormonal change.  I've never worn Vans, they're my sons (33 and 36) kind of thing , I'm a Reebok Classic wearer, have been for years, currently on a Purple ish Red pair with white soles to go with my Black or Blue Levi's. Maybe if Reebok were to bring out a pair with small discrete fourth album symbols by the lace holes I'd buy a pair.

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need Adidas Led Zeppelin trainers, then I'll show an interest ///

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Strider said:

Vans rule! The premier skate shoe for over 40 years. I'll definitely be getting a couple pairs of both styles. This has nothing to do with Hot Topic. Only a stick-up-their-ass-fuddy-duddy could complain about this.

That's entirely possible. I haven't decided if they're kinda cool or just tacky. At the end of the day, I'll probably cave and buy some like I do with just about everything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JTM said:

I'm a fuddy-duddy then, miserable old git as my wife sometimes calls me. I can't help it, it's like an older age version of being that stroppy know it all teenager, another massive hormonal change.  I've never worn Vans, they're my sons (33 and 36) kind of thing , I'm a Reebok Classic wearer, have been for years, currently on a Purple ish Red pair with white soles to go with my Black or Blue Levi's. Maybe if Reebok were to bring out a pair with small discrete fourth album symbols by the lace holes I'd buy a pair.

I'm just taking the piss...kind of, haha.

2 hours ago, LordStanley said:

That's entirely possible. I haven't decided if they're kinda cool or just tacky. At the end of the day, I'll probably cave and buy some like I do with just about everything else. 

A while back Vans came out with Iron Maiden shoes. They were limited production only. I got the Trooper Eddie and the Killers Eddie...they'll look nice with the Zeppelin ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Strider said:

I'm just taking the piss...kind of, haha.

 

Banter rules, us Brits thrive off it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strider said:

A while back Vans came out with Iron Maiden shoes. They were limited production only. I got the Trooper Eddie and the Killers Eddie...they'll look nice with the Zeppelin ones.

Zeppelin is the only band that I hold in a high enough regard to ever consider buying a pair of shoes in their honor. On the other hand, that same pedestal makes me feel like it's a bit blasphemous to plaster their iconography onto a pair of shoes.

Like I said, in the end, I'll probably quit overthinking the situation and just buy the damn shoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LordStanley said:

Zeppelin is the only band that I hold in a high enough regard to ever consider buying a pair of shoes in their honor. On the other hand, that same pedestal makes me feel like it's a bit blasphemous to plaster their iconography onto a pair of shoes.

Like I said, in the end, I'll probably quit overthinking the situation and just buy the damn shoes. 

Think of it like this...when I was a young grommet, we all carved or plastered stickers of our favourite bands on our surfboards and skateboards and books and lockers and any surface we could find. Led Zeppelin, Ramones, Black Sabbath, whatever. We would even write bands on our plain white Vans or Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars. I had a pair of Vans with Led Zeppelin written in the Zep font on the sidewalls and Jimmy's Zoso rune drawn on the left shoe and Bonham's rune drawn on the right shoe.

These new Led Zeppelin Vans are just like a modern upgrade from our home-made attempts of our youth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never wore vans or converse. Instead, I had a jean jacket on which I painted. The top front panels were Zeppelin One and Coda. The 2 back side panels were the hermit from the fourth album and the HOTH cover.  I made a decal of Jimmy in mid flourish with the bow and I put that in the back panel. The sleeves had 2 dragons on them and the top back panel had Led Zeppelin in it with a bunch of blimps.  I also have a bunch of original era pins for the front of the jacket. also painted Jimmy's zodiac signs on one sleeve.  The jackets pretty cool but I never took any good pics of it but I have to say that the hermit and hoth paintings came out really good.

Edited by hummingbird69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are not going to be any new live releases, how about official releases of stuff like this.  If Jimmy can release Jennings Farm Blues on the remasters even though it was bootlegged everywhere for years he could release this.  I remember him saying during the remasters releases that he would release stuff that was not bootlegged and had not been heard.  Well I had not heard La La or St. Tristan's or 10 Ribs and All, but I had certainly heard Jennings Farm Blues and Sugar Mama.  The official releases of both of those were so much better than the old bootlegs.

or this, which is fantastic and shows how creative they still were, ready to keep moving forward.  Listening to this is always tinged with sadness for me thinking of what might have been.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe since Swan Song was released as Midnight Moonlight he felt it not necessary. I wonder if he still has a master tapes for FIRE. What I really wanted was the extended All of My Love , which I think is fantastic. Maybe he's saving something for the 100th Anniversary of the band.. 

Edited by drpete
misspell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sneakers are not what I was hoping for or expecting, but I’ll buy them anyway. They look nice and I bought 4 pairs of the Black Sabbath Converse runners several years ago, and I enjoy having them. The VANS have nice detail work including on the bottom sole trim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drpete said:

Maybe since Swan Song was released as Midnight Moonlight he felt it now necessary

Perhaps, but it is so much better with Bonham and Jones.  Also the horrible 80s production ruins Midnight Moonlight for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. As awesome as it was to hear the unheard La La, that wasn't exactly a finished song either. Neither was Carrot/Ribs or St. Tristan's Sword. We still got quite a few good nuggets on those companion discs but I did find it odd that Page did say he didn't wanna release anything that was bootlegged already but yet he put on Jennings Farm, Bathroom Sound/Out On The Tiles, Four Sticks (Alt. Mix), Boogie With Stu, The version of In The Light on the Physical Graffiti disc, etc. Swan Song could've and should've been added to the Graffiti companion since A) That disc was way to short, more stuff from those sessions could've been added, B ) As I listed the bootlegged tracks that got released anyways. Oh well, it is what it is. Not complaining, just didn't make any sense. I'm just glad I have the boots I do and the one's that have been coming out in the last year or 2. Not wasting my time energy believing we'll see any new live releases from Page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM, John M said:

If there are not going to be any new live releases, how about official releases of stuff like this.  If Jimmy can release Jennings Farm Blues on the remasters even though it was bootlegged everywhere for years he could release this.  I remember him saying during the remasters releases that he would release stuff that was not bootlegged and had not been heard.  Well I had not heard La La or St. Tristan's or 10 Ribs and All, but I had certainly heard Jennings Farm Blues and Sugar Mama.  The official releases of both of those were so much better than the old bootlegs.

or this, which is fantastic and shows how creative they still were, ready to keep moving forward.  Listening to this is always tinged with sadness for me thinking of what might have been.

 

I think this would be a great idea for a 50th release and being that the vaults for the companion disks are already open. The led zeppelin version of swan song, should play a part in the band's history....just as a full 1977 show should be released.  This version of swan song has the vibe of a very unique slow down...that great muscians can do, to sort of slow down time.  It just creates a vibe of movie credits rolling..,at the end of a movie. Yet its zeppelin and moving forward still...a very special song.

With midnight moonlight, its a different version of the song. First of all...paul rodgers soothing voice uplifted us all back with the firm. I cant imagine how healing it was for jimmy page to be playing with paul rodgers. But the song with the firm is a beautiful journey....and by the end of it with the background singers, at high volume...anyone listening will be elated. Unless they dont like loud music and repetitive cool rock music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 15, 2019 at 2:01 PM, bluecongo said:

Nice shoes Jimmy !

credit to Frodo at RO ūüėā

5CBB91D0-68A6-4F60-A00E-1EB3207A9056.jpeg

So great.....i want to bust out my mark gonzalez skateboard, with independant trucks, bullet wheels and german bearings and skateboard a freshly paved parking lot or tennis court. Although i never bought a pair of vans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...