The O2 In Retrospect...

10 hours ago, zep41 said:

This is not just your opinion. It is fact. Jimmy in 1998 is in no way even comparable to Jimmy at the o2. 

The o2 was very much calculated and planned. His soloing was just good enough to get by (well, for the most part). 

1998 Jimmy was getting back to what he was all about in Zeppelin - those bursts of supreme virtuoso greatness, spontaneously mixed in while he completely holds down the fort. Totally loose and focused. 

The o2 was Jimmy doing what needed to be done to get the point across. But technically on more solo breaks than not, he simply wasn't hitting on what he was trying to do when he wasn't playing it safe. 

And here alone lies the reason I cringe when people today say "they should have one more go at it" or a one-off reunion performance "for the 50th." The o2 was 11 years ago and Page just barely got by. How do you think it would go today?? We would likely be displeased. 

Well said. Although, to be fair, we don't really know what Jimmy in 2007 would have sounded like if he were allowed to let it rip. I have to agree about 1998 though. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the 98 bootlegs. Jimmy hadn't played that well since a hot night in 75 or 73. I was in the 8th grade for the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary bash and the build up was incredible. I couldn't believe that Zeppelin was going to play again. I was reading Hammer of the Gods at the time and couldn't wait for the mighty Zeppelin to come out, romping and stomping like gods, blowing everyone away, but it was not to be. It was more like hoping Muhammad Ali would regain his old form and beat Larry Holmes!

Then they had this Knebworth 90' thing where they played Wearing and Tearing, Rock and Roll and maybe another one. Nothing good there really. Then I saw them on UnLeaded on MTV doing their acoustic stuff and it was fun to see them, but more of the same. It was like the Atlantic Records let down going on for years and years. Then I saw some footage of them in 95 or 96 doing the Egyptian thing. Jimmy was playing on par with the 1980 tour. It was during this time that I started to really accumulate a lot of bootlegs due to meeting people on the internet. I learned that Jimmy's playing went downhill from 75 on, instead of getting better. Unfortunately, I had to come to terms with the fact that there was no magic left in his fingers and Plant couldn't sing like he did in the early days.

Then I started seeing and listening to the 98 stuff and it blew my mind. You could put some of those jams on tape, label it "Some night in 1975", give it to a Zep Head and he'd say, "Hey! This a good night for 75!".

I think when Jimmy isn't on hard drugs and getting shit faced all the time, and he's actually playing guitar, he can get the magic back anytime he wants.

8 minutes ago, Christopher Lees said:

Then I started seeing and listening to the 98 stuff and it blew my mind.

You could put some of those jams on tape, label it "Some night in 1975", give it to a Zep Head and he'd say, "Hey! This a good night for 75!".

A casual Zep Head perhaps. Charlie Jones/Michael Lee '98 were no John Paul Jones/John Bonham '75. Not even close. So about the 02 show...

I believe it is disingenuous to write Page off as a has been or not capable of excellent playing live due to age or whatnot. Unless Page has an undisclosed physical malady such as arthritis or other structural issues, all he needs is practice, nothing more, nothing less. Jimmy could easily play at his 73' or 98' level right now (again barring undisclosed health issues) if he commits to a diligent practice routine daily. As a guitar player myself it is not rocket science, you practice, you gig, you don't get on stage wasted, etc. Page may be 74 but Segovia was playing publicly into his 80's and many of Page's contemporaries are still going strong (Beck, Springsteen, Lofgren, Blackmore) performing in top form.

Unless Jimmy has a physical ailment, the only thing preventing Jimmy from jumping on stage or into a studio and play at peak level is Jimmy himself.

Page's playing at the O2 was reserved but excellent, he played it safe. If they had gone on and toured it is very, very likely he would have been back to 96' form and possibly 98' form very quickly, just as long as he stayed away from the temptations of the road.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

This Zep material is not easy to play for one guitarist. We all know that. When Clapton plays,  he has assistance, Townsend has a second guitarist, Richards always had.  If you notice Jimmy at the 02 he played a lot of heavy distorted rhythms because the modern sound made it sound monumental. When it came to his fine picking leads, he was much better in 88 through 96. 

The only one that’s gets away with it is Beck. However , Jeff plays totally different type of music where the other musicians play for him as Jimmy needs to play for the song. There is a lot of stuff gong on and one guitar player at seventy something years old today cannot handle. 

When he first came on with the blistering GTBT solos ( best of night ) , I thought , wow holy hell does he sound good. But he went back and resorted to some apprehension and sloppiness by the time SIBLY was played. What made Jimmy stand out that night is that it seemed like he had some real pro audio techs for a change not like the stoned out ones back in the day that would hand him a guitar ( techs) that was out of tune in front of 25000 fans. 

On 12/11/2018 at 5:57 AM, SteveAJones said:

A casual Zep Head perhaps. Charlie Jones/Michael Lee '98 were no John Paul Jones/John Bonham '75. Not even close. So about the 02 show...

Bit harsh on Michael Lee. He wasn't Bonham, but who is? But he was a very, very good drummer. As for Charlie Jones..........................

That solo was surely meant to be much a sound poem, not a "regular classic rock" guitar solo. The rehearsal version(s) gel a bit

more.to the point. Above all, Jimmy is a sound sculptor, he is not to be roped in with other very competent but boxed in players

in the  70's. I myself when I heard that "weird" solo, it sounded like Page suddenly fell of a 10,000 foot cliff. Which I'm sure he 

intended.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the O2 concert on my tablet and I viewed it a number of times last year.  “For Your Life” is a

highlight for also.  Jimmy's solo is another example of a Page and his supreme confidence in his

playing and his adventurous trip into including some “outside” playing much like some Jazz guitarists

would.  The Immigrant Song is another example; on the two-DVD Zeppelin one.  His performance was 

put on that collection and was derived from splicing two outdoor concerts together.

ADK- Zeppy

Edited by ADK-Zeppy

Having just my eyes and scores of listening to bootlegs and seeing Page and Plant twice (walking to  clarksdale tour) I would say Jimmy was in top form at the O2 concert. Jason Bonham did ok, I personally think he isn’t that good of a drummer. Robert Plant did ok but was way better in the 98’ tour. JPJ was the key. Page & Plant tour didn’t have the right feel, the groove, it didn’t have Jones. 

1 hour ago, strombringer101 said:

Having just my eyes and scores of listening to bootlegs and seeing Page and Plant twice (walking to  clarksdale tour) I would say Jimmy was in top form at the O2 concert. Jason Bonham did ok, I personally think he isn’t that good of a drummer. Robert Plant did ok but was way better in the 98’ tour. JPJ was the key. Page & Plant tour didn’t have the right feel, the groove, it didn’t have Jones. 

John Paul Jones made the case for why he should have been invited with his musicianship at the O2.. Charlie Jones didn't seem to ever unlock the key to Jimmy's mind, and he had years to figure it out. The best thing that band did was Shake my tree. I used to blast the san jose 95 fm simulcast of Shake my tree like it was the latest Zep trak. In my mind I refer to the O2 as the John Paul Jones Supershow.

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, LurksReturnington said:

I think Jason wins Trampled Underfoot.

Yes, yes he does.

He actually plays the album kick-drum groove (which is fucking hard). To my knowledge even Bonzo himself never did that live. Jason's playing on this one puts it right up there with "Destroyer" as my favorite live Trampled Under Foot.

ALS

On 3/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, AchillesLastBand said:

Yes, yes he does.

He actually plays the album kick-drum groove (which is fucking hard). To my knowledge even Bonzo himself never did that live. Jason's playing on this one puts it right up there with "Destroyer" as my favorite live Trampled Under Foot.

ALS

Jason was using a double bass drum pedal at the O2.

13 hours ago, Mook said:

Jason was using a double bass drum pedal at the O2.

9 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Plant even makes a remark about it.

I didn't know that, thanks. Are you suggesting that detracts from Jason's performance on the song? (I honestly don't know if that's what you're suggesting.)

ALS

1 hour ago, kirchzep27 said:

In regards to Plant and Jpj , it would have been cool to hear in the evening or carouselambra. 

I've always thought it was odd how nothing was represented from In Through The Out Door something like I'm Gonna Crawl or All My Love would've been neat additions but I do at least think they should have played In The Evening.

On March 20, 2019 at 11:19 PM, wordev1977 said:

I've always thought it was odd how nothing was represented from In Through The Out Door something like I'm Gonna Crawl or All My Love would've been neat additions but I do at least think they should have played In The Evening.

Yeah i agree, the keyboard, vocal and band sound was so great that night with kashmir...so that ya can imagine how good anything else would sound. Kinda torturous actually

• 1 month later...

Recently listened to the show and enjoyed good times bad times and ramble on the most...there was something about the uncertainty and yet adventurous spirit of those first 2 songs that kind of reflect the whole show in a way...

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 7:53 AM, reids said:

So many highlights to seeing this one:

1) GTBT

2) Kashmir

3) For Your Life

R😎🎸👍

These are the top 3 right there. 

For me... Nobody's Fault But Mine is a close 4th, followed by Trampled Under Foot