Cleveland 4/28/77 alternate source

ZepHead315

Apologies if this has been discussed already (did a quick search and couldn't find anything), but does anyone know anything about the 2nd source for this show? Apparently, it hasn't made its way into trading circles, but it's known to exist. Here's a description from Argenteum Astrum:

Source: Incomplete very good 2nd audience recording. 195 minutes.
Details: The recording itself is quite clear if not distant in some way, without any serious distortion and fairly balanced. The instruments are in a good balance, making this recording standing just few steps down from the previous tape. Taped on platform usually used for television camera for sports broadcasts.

Discussion on Royal Orleans seems to have revealed scant information as well. Anyone know anything more about this?

On 10/8/2018 at 11:45 PM, porgie66 said:

Didn't know about this source. Bootledz shows no releases based on it. Sean?? Weedwacker? Winston? Sue Dounim? Dadgad? They would probably know. 

I've seen some comments about it here and there. I've never heard it. It may be out there.

As I've said elsewhere, if more than one person has it, be patient. Eventually it will come out. It's just the nature of the beast.

1 minute ago, sean_the_bootlegger said:

I've seen some comments about it here and there. I've never heard it. It may be out there.

As I've said elsewhere, if more than one person has it, be patient. Eventually it will come out. It's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the reply! Hope you've been well.👊🏼

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 3:53 AM, ZepHead315 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already (did a quick search and couldn't find anything), but does anyone know anything about the 2nd source for this show? Apparently, it hasn't made its way into trading circles, but it's known to exist. Here's a description from Argenteum Astrum:

Discussion on Royal Orleans seems to have revealed scant information as well. Anyone know anything more about this?

Did not ever heard about it, but have in collection OTRs of previous 27.04.1977 concert in Richfield Coliseum

• 2 months later...

Yes!!! After  41  years, the  second  source  is  about  to  start  circulating! I  can't  wait  to  hear  the  ending  of  no  quarter  and  the  stairway  intro  without  the "oh, fuck"  from  the  taper. Details  from  argenteumastrum.com:

"T2K has just announced their new product, The Destroyers, a nine disc set covering both Cleveland April 1977 dates. The first three discs are dedicated to the famous and one of the most bootlegged tapes from April 27th, sourced from stunning soundboard quality. Next three discs are containing excellent quality audience recording from the April 28th show, also often bootlegged over the years. The last three discs debuting with previously uncirculated second audience tape for the second Cleveland show. The box itself is a lavish, hinged open box set housing three individual glossy gatefold sleeves.

Important note: The author of this site was emailed by the taper of the second audience recording and was kindly requested to inform all the readers to not buying this new T2K product because of violation of taper's conditions. The tape itself was discussed to be shared freely among the fans and because of that it will be freely available foer download over next few days in stunning audiophile 24/96 quality, profesionally mastered and exclusively supplied wit detailed info, actual show photos and personal story of the taper. Eye thank you and Happy Xmas for you all!"

Edited by confounded_bridge

Just now, confounded_bridge said:

Yes!!! After  41  years, the  second  source  is  about  to  start  circulating! I  can't  wait  to  hear  the  ending  of  no  quarter  and  the  stairway  intro  without  the "oh, fuck"  from  the  taper. Details  from  argenteumastrum.com:

"T2K has just announced their new product, The Destroyers, a nine disc set covering both Cleveland April 1977 dates. The first three discs are dedicated to the famous and one of the most bootlegged tapes from April 27th, sourced from stunning soundboard quality. Next three discs are containing excellent quality audience recording from the April 28th show, also often bootlegged over the years. The last three discs debuting with previously uncirculated second audience tape for the second Cleveland show. The box itself is a lavish, hinged open box set housing three individual glossy gatefold sleeves.

Important note: The author of this site was emailed by the taper of the second audience recording and was kindly requested to inform all the readers to not buying this new T2K product because of violation of taper's conditions. The tape itself was discussed to be shared freely among the fans and because of that it will be freely available foer download over next few days in stunning audiophile 24/96 quality, profesionally mastered and exclusively supplied wit detailed info, actual show photos and personal story of the taper. Eye thank you and Happy Xmas for you all!"

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for posting about this!

On 12/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, ZepHead315 said:

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for posting about this!

I  want  to  personally  thank  you  for  opening  this  thread, because  I  feel  that  this  sudden  release  after  many  years  of  knowing  existence  was  triggered  by  your  thread. Also, thank  you  for  your  awesome  youtube  uploads!

1 hour ago, confounded_bridge said:

I  want  to  personally  thank  you  for  opening  this  thread, because  I  feel  that  this  sudden  release  after  many  years  of  knowing  existence  was  triggered  by  your  thread. Also, thank  you  for  your  awesome  youtube  uploads!

Oh I doubt my thread did anything, but I appreciate it regardless lol. Glad you've been enjoying my YouTube uploads! :) 

3 hours ago, Strider said:

All well and good. But when is someone going to release an audience tape of April 27? I'm sick to death of the endless regurgitations of the soundboard.

+1

I'd  like  to  hear  the  missing  piano  jam  section  of  no  quarter. And  to  approach  this  show  from  a  different  angle.

Edited by confounded_bridge

I am not surprised that someone was seriously pissed off and have decided to release this tape alone, for free. For years T2K treated us with their super duper tweaked releases, armed with lavish boxes but without carrying about the quality. It's somewhat a standard of probably most if not all Japanese products (with the exception of EV, which serves us some good sounding titles and this incl. amazing board series). Now they're trying to milk our wallets once again, re-packaging the old stuff and adding just one uncirculated audience tape.

Remembering their latest set, with new Peach 929 source, which was heavily damaged by the compression and hiss reduction, I have no doubts this time they will do the same. I am still surprised seeing  people, who are purchasing such things. I do not mind if a bootleg is taken from master tape directly and then mastered carefully but with T2K it's the worst scenario ever we can expect.

Saying that, I am terribly curious of that recording. Let's hope it won't be a disappointment.

Edited by zepster1979

Sampling this right now and, brickwalling aside, it doesn't sound that bad. A bit more distant, some slight channel fluctuations here and there, and a bit of distortion on the top end, but I've heard worse. Much worse. 

If the description for this source on AA is accurate (ie. tape cuts, etc.) then this would be a nice way of patching the gaps in the old source. I hope the 24/96 version gets shared soon!

I had a privilege to listen the whole source from the owner of AA site and it sounds sweet! No compression, no brickwalling, just  a light and very detailed mastering.

The quality is just few steps down from famous tape, the clarity and dynamics are great. It is just a bit more distant but also has no distortion as the famous source. No music is lost, just three or four cuts in between few songs, that's all.

It should be available before New Year's Eve and from what I was told, the T2K used 44.1/16 copy which was badly transferred and this new transfer is original 24/96 version with proper azimuth setting.

Edited by zepster1979

1 hour ago, zepster1979 said:

I had a privilege to listen the whole source from the owner of AA site and it sounds sweet! No compression, no brickwalling, just  a light and very detailed mastering.

The quality is just few steps down from famous tape, the clarity and dynamics are great. It is just a bit more distant but also has no distortion as the famous source. No music is lost, just three or four cuts in between few songs, that's all.

It should be available before New Year's Eve and from what I was told, the T2K used 44.1/16 copy which was badly transferred and this new transfer is original 24/96 version with proper azimuth setting.

I thought you were AA? 

21 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

Just heard samples. Runs too slow, heavily noise reduced and tweaked, typical for the label.

If anyone already bought that, he lost his money. The quality is so bad when compared with master that it's just a joke hearing it's "listenable".

I heard the samples, they are peaked out and the fluctuations make me wonder if azimuth correction was done, or where they got this source...but the pitch is correct, not too slow. 

I've checked again and indeed, pitch is quite correct on this one, runs maybe 0,1 to 0,3 cents slower but something went wrong with overall azimuth and channel fluctuations are really bad. When compared with the 24/96 transfer, it's just like two different recordings. T2k is not only weak in sound, but also heavy muted, lacking depth and clarity.