Cleveland 4/28/77 alternate source

ZepHead315

I was at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs training and I would walk to various record stores near the facility in about 1985.   I bought a Houses of the Holy jukebox ep at one store and they also had the original red box Destroyer set.  I asked to hear a sample and the guy put on The Song Remains The Same and the quality floored me.    I bought the set for $50.    Super great power and ambience.

I heard this new source and although it’s neat and less chopped up it is miles behind the original source.   All this talk about it for years now and one listen and it’s meh.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

6 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I was at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs training and I would walk to various record stores near the facility in about 1985.   I bought a Houses of the Holy jukebox ep at one store and they also had the original red box Destroyer set.  I asked to hear a sample and the guy put on The Song Remains The Same and the quality floored me.    I bought the set for $50.    Super great power and ambience.

I heard this new source and although it’s neat and less chopped up it is miles behind the original source.   All this talk about it for years now and one listen and it’s meh.

Was this Destroyer set the soundboard from the 27th (which cuts in during TSRTS and has a cut in the middle of No Quarter) or the audience recording of the 28th (which has the taper saying "oh fuck!" and is cut between songs)? Imho, this new audience recording, while inferior, is not that huge of a step down. And we had an inkling it would be inferior anyway based on the description from AA. Given how this Black Beauty sample has been botched up (overly compressed/equalized, etc.) I would think the 24/96 version sounds better. I'm just happy we now have pretty much the entire show.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:00 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Was this Destroyer set the soundboard from the 27th (which cuts in during TSRTS and has a cut in the middle of No Quarter) or the audience recording of the 28th (which has the taper saying "oh fuck!" and is cut between songs)? Imho, this new audience recording, while inferior, is not that huge of a step down. And we had an inkling it would be inferior anyway based on the description from AA. Given how this Black Beauty sample has been botched up (overly compressed/equalized, etc.) I would think the 24/96 version sounds better. I'm just happy we now have pretty much the entire show.

I’ve been collecting since about 1983-85, yes it was the Red Box set “The Destroyer” with special thanks to “Cookie Crumb” and was out before any tape source was in trading circles that had Stairway with the “oh fuck” comment.

Ive also taped shows since 1987 (Pink Floyd at MSG).  

The original source was taped up close in the sound field and has so much power.  This new source no matter how the transfer was done sounds like it was taped much farther away.   Funny anyone would ever hoard this recording.   I’m not being snobby or anything.   But facts dont lie - the original source is fantastic and the new source is average.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

4 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I’ve been collecting since about 1983-85, yes it was the Red Box set “The Destroyer” with special thanks to “Cookie Crumb” and was out before any tape source was in trading circles that had Stairway with the “oh fuck” comment.

Ive also taped shows since 1987 (Pink Floyd at MSG).  

The original source was taped up close in the sound field and has so much power.  This new source no matter how the transfer was done sounds like it was taped much farther away.   Funny anyone would ever hoard this recording.   I’m not being snobby or anything.   But facts dont lie - the original source is fantastic and the new source is average.

There are always people who are complaining, no matter of what they got.

A  download  link  was  available  on  argenteumastrum.com  but  only  for  24  hours. He  uploaded  the  complete  audio, some  awesome  photos  and  a  story  from  the  taper. Unfortunately, when  I  saw  the  link, only  1  hour  was  left. I  managed  to  download  all  the  songs  but  only  4  photos. If  somebody  has  the  rest  of  it, i'd  like  to  ask  for  a  link.

24 minutes ago, confounded_bridge said:

A  download  link  was  available  on  argenteumastrum.com  but  only  for  24  hours. He  uploaded  the  complete  audio, some  awesome  photos  and  a  story  from  the  taper. Unfortunately, when  I  saw  the  link, only  1  hour  was  left. I  managed  to  download  all  the  songs  but  only  4  photos. If  somebody  has  the  rest  of  it, i'd  like  to  ask  for  a  link.

Oh, missed it. Should be starting to circulate soon I reckon.

22 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Oh, missed it. Should be starting to circulate soon I reckon.

No, it won't start circulating. The wish of the taper is to keep this tape away from public and only for the community.

Please ask anyone, who did download it for a copy and please do respect the rules.

2 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

Message sent.

This morning I read a statement on http://www.argenteumastrum.com which I found very upsetting:

"I just received an email with the following blackmail content from the user named evsd4, much likely as a revenge of my kind request of not publishing recently uploaded Cleveland tape.

For goodness sake stop getting drawn into the debate on bootleggers and hoarders. You are not doing yourself any justice at all.

It is widely known you are a mouthpiece for Empress Valley Supreme Disc. Do not do yourself a dis-service by getting into an argument on this issue. If you do I will upload to every Led Zeppelin forum the complete sordid tale of this particular source and everything else you have fucked and sabotaged to the Led Zeppelin community at large!!!

Cool off or take the consequences!!!!!!!!!!

Please be aware that if any of these will continue, I will be obligated to take legal actions to stop that silliness and inform the authorities immediately."

I don't know who "evsd4" is, and frankly I don't give a f... All I know is, that the guy behind http://www.argenteumastrum.com (and most of us know who he is) is doing his upmost best in providing us with information about the newest LZ-titles from EV, but also from EAP/GE, Wendy, Graf Zeppelin etc.

In my opinion he is far from a mouthpiece for EVSD. Multiple times I've asked whether or not he could provide me with a special EVSD-box but he couldn't because he thought the titles didn't add anything new to existing titles in circulation. He didn't have nor sell the latest 929-boxes because of the disappointment they didn't release the complete show. As a matter of fact he asked me for lossless copies of "Immigrant Song", "Black Dog", "Stairway" and "Friends" from the 928 and 929 shows because he missed them when they were released.

So EVSD4 - when you're reading this - stop accusing and threatening people when you don't know s... about them!

Let the guy continue with what he knows and does best and provide us with information about new releases and the site being an excellent reference for Led Zeppelin audio & video - cd, vinyl & shows!

22 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

Aww man! would have loved to see the photos!

5 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

This morning I read a statement on http://www.argenteumastrum.com which I found very upsetting:

"I just received an email with the following blackmail content from the user named evsd4, much likely as a revenge of my kind request of not publishing recently uploaded Cleveland tape.

For goodness sake stop getting drawn into the debate on bootleggers and hoarders. You are not doing yourself any justice at all.

It is widely known you are a mouthpiece for Empress Valley Supreme Disc. Do not do yourself a dis-service by getting into an argument on this issue. If you do I will upload to every Led Zeppelin forum the complete sordid tale of this particular source and everything else you have fucked and sabotaged to the Led Zeppelin community at large!!!

Please be aware that if any of these will continue, I will be obligated to take legal actions to stop that silliness and inform the authorities immediately."

I don't know who "evsd4" is, and frankly I don't give a f... All I know is, that the guy behind http://www.argenteumastrum.com (and most of us know who he is) is doing his upmost best in providing us with information about the newest LZ-titles from EV, but also from EAP/GE, Wendy, Graf Zeppelin etc.

In my opinion he is far from a mouthpiece for EVSD. Multiple times I've asked whether or not he could provide me with a special EVSD-box but he couldn't because he thought the titles didn't add anything new to existing titles in circulation. He didn't have nor sell the latest 929-boxes because of the disappointment they didn't release the complete show. As a matter of fact he asked me for lossless copies of "Immigrant Song", "Black Dog", "Stairway" and "Friends" from the 928 and 929 shows because he missed them when they were released.

So EVSD4 - when you're reading this - stop accusing and threatening people when you don't know s... about them!

Let the guy continue with what he knows and does best and provide us with information about new releases and the site being an excellent reference for Led Zeppelin audio & video - cd, vinyl & shows!

I don't know who argenteum astrum is but I find his site extremely valuable and fair. I don't sense a bias towards or against any one label. He generally calls 'em straight and is looking out for us consumers, noting which sources are complete and telling us which releases have been tampered with.

I find it curious that the person who accuses argenteum astrum of being a mouthpiece for EVSD has evsd as his user name. Sounds fishy to me.

17 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

I reckon it’s a really good website. 

Anyway, irrespective of whether it is a good site or not, threatening behaviour like than can never be condoned. I also detest people that hide behind anonymity. That’s really cowardly 

After hearing the Black Beauty samples, I really can't understand why this sourced has been so critisiced. Sure, there are pitch variations in No Quarter and some annoying people chatting but, besides those nitpicks the whole source lets you hear the bands performance better than the known circulating recording. I can hear Jimmy's solos better on this one. And I can see (well, hear)why some Zeppelin experts like Paul Sheppard rates it even above the LA Millard tapes. Even the Ten Years Gone solo (an usually painful thing to hear on most 77 bootlegs) is pleasant. Only an out of tune bit that Jimmy hurrily solves. I also came late to the download link, and I would be very grateful if someone could send it to me. Thanks

Edited by Arielbarbanente

i want that you know that the fans of the led zeppelin dont know the truth about the group                                                                                                                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                          

i want that you know that i want know
how to contact the argenteumastrum site or by email because
the site is always unavailable and
i need do this contact and
confirm if is possible do the contact with him and
if he is available to do the contact that is good
and thank you.            

Edited by marcio614