I'm calling it- On January 12th, I think Page will announce a release date for a new live album.

7 hours ago, JTM said:

Right, just because it's fifty years why should that be different.  Fans are dying, the market is getting smaller, interest is waining. Yes there  are new younger fans though I doubt their numbers are that great.  Personally I could not care less about Live releases, I have all the boots I ever wanted, a ton more that are just clutter, I'm  nearly 62 and past caring.

Not sure about this. On another music forum there was a bloke who'd found "top 10 of artists streamed in 2018 on Spotify" sort of list. Zeppelin were top 8 among non-solo acts, with about 10.5 million streams. Not bad for a band with only one full gig since July 1980.

In stark contrast to Zeppelin's 50th check out what King Crimson is doing for theirs

KING CRIMSON - CELEBRATING 50 YEARS
Posted by Sid Smith on Jan 13, 2019

King Crimson - Celebrating 50 years

On the evening of Monday January 13th, 1969, King Crimson formally began rehearsals in the basement of the Fulham Palace Road Cafe. After hauling their equipment down the stairs into their cramped rehearsal room Greg Lake, Ian McDonald, Michael Giles, Robert Fripp plugged in their instruments, and with Peter Sinfield operating lights and sound, played and worked on material for the next hour and a half.

blobid1547371386102.jpg

By July of that year, the band was performing in Hyde Park on the same bill as The Rolling Stones to an audience of up to 500,000 people. By October, the debut album: “In the Court of the Crimson King” was in the Top 5 of the UK album charts, shortly followed by a top 30 position in the US album charts and a No 1 slot – replacing Abbey Road – in the Japanese international chart. By December, following a series of US concerts finishing at San Francisco’s Fillmore West, the band’s first line-up had imploded.

But that was just the beginning…

blobid1547371428202.jpg

In celebration of 50 years, King Crimson today announces:

50 Concerts for 2019:
The current eight musician line-up will perform 50 concerts across three continents as part of their 2019 Celebration tour.

Dates already announced and on sale include a trio of concerts at London’s Royal Albert Hall, June 18, 19, 20 and New York’s Radio City Music Hall on September 21.

Physical music releases include:

February: King Crimson 1972 – 74 – the second boxed set of 6LPs from Larks’ Tongues in Aspic to the expanded USA in 200 gram vinyl.

blobid1547370794801.jpg

May: Heaven and Earth: Multi-disc CD/ DVD-a/Blu-Ray set covering the period from the late 1990s – 2008 – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums in 5.1 multi-channel audio.

blobid1547370684084.jpg

Oct: Complete 1969 Recordings CD/DVD-a/Blu-Ray set – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums on Blu-Ray.
A vinyl set of 1969 recordings is also being planned

Other planned music releases include: 200 gram vinyl editions of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, the 2CD 2019 King Crimson tour box – 6th in the series of releases issued to accompany each tour from 2014 onwards

50 Collectors’ Club Releases

2019 will see the release of CLUB48, CLUB49 and CLUB50 - the final three in the Collectors Club series, taking it 50 releases in the band’s 50th year. CLUB48 will be a recently discovered board recording of the concert in Newcastle on 8th December 1972 by the complete Larks Tongues in Aspic line-up before Jamie Muir left the band.

In The Court of the Crimson King Companion & Boxed Set

Oct: Released to coincide and celebrate the original release date of King Crimson's debut album on 12th October 1969:

Limited edition expanded boxed set of “In The Court of the King Crimson” including all the live recordings, the expanded multitrack 1969 recording sessions, as well as a new 5.1 remix of the album.DGM Companion Vol 1, edited by Robert Fripp & David Singleton – Vinyl sized coffee table book covering the history of “In The Court of Crimson King”, with complete timeline, extensive photos, recollections and essays.

June: Sid Smith's long out-of-print acclaimed biography, In the Court of King Crimson will be published in a revised, updated and expanded edition.

50 special Digital music releases, KC 50:

50 tracks, 1 per week featuring a new, rare or alternate take from across the KC catalogue and available via all major download and streaming services
Each track will be accompanied by a special spoken word introduction by King Crimson manager/producer David Singleton.

Download the first of 50 tracks here.

Documentary:

Cosmic F*Kc: The King Crimson documentary, directed by Toby Amies, who has been given unique access to the current band as well as interviews with past members and archive footage. To be released in late 2019.
An accompanying soundtrack will also be issued.

Limited edition Silk Screen prints of Barry Godber's famous “Screaming Face” cover from “In The Court of the Crimson King”

blobid1547371100690.png

200 limited edition Silk Screen prints of the outer sleeve of In the Court of the Crimson King. 100 copies of the interior. Printed at actual size of the original art (46.5 inches x 27.5 inches including surround) 
All prints will be signed and numbered by Robert Fripp. Early purchasers will be given the option to buy matching numbered sets

Clothing:

12 special 50th anniversary T-shirts, complementing the artwork for the KC50 digital download series.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:33 AM, rm2551 said:

it's just so quiet. Anniversaries must not mean much. Pity, a well crafted marketing campaign with some live releases could have re-birthed Zep to the young'uns. It really could have been the year of Led Zeppelin.

:zzz:

I thought some of the surviving band members would have at least made some kind of statement recently for the 50th anniversary of the first album. I know they've done a ton of specials already on the debut album (and all the other albums), but they still could have made a small statement again for the 50th anniversary. Just tells me how far detached and disinterested they are. The  silence is extremely disappointing.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:33 AM, rm2551 said:

Pity, a well crafted marketing campaign with some live releases could have re-birthed Zep to the young'uns.

Lately it seem like if you google "Led Zeppelin" half the results are about Greta Van Fleet.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Robert stated early last year that there was nothing left in the Zep vault. I'm starting to realize that he actually tells it like it is and Jimmy is just playing bullshit marketing games. 

MOJO Nr. 301, December 2018, LZ 50th anniversary special, Robert "recalls":

MOJO: Did listening back to the performances from the LA Forum and the Long Beach Arena on How The West Was Won bring back any fond memories?

RP: It´s not the Bonzo´s Birthday party one, is it? When Keith Moon was playing with us?

He couldn´t care less about past or possible future releases. I doubt he knows what is left in the LZ vault.

The remaster series & all future releases are totally in the hands of Jimmy. If only he would take the multitrack & soundboard tapes to Abbey Road soon.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, Over the top said:

The big release is finally here I knew it would be worth waiting for,

you of little faith on here

the latest release for the 50th year celebrations  is ...............a official led zeppelin snowboard

https://mobile.twitter.com/ledzeppelin

Jesus Christ. I remember a year ago when Page first talked about previously unheard material being unearthed and I was talking about possible candidates for release in a Reddit thread. At the end of my comment, I half-jokingly said that I could be wrong and a year from now Page would be selling Zeppelin-themed coffee mugs and mouse-pads. Turns out my joke wasn't far off. What a massive letdown this whole 50th anniversary thing has been so far (at least officially).

At this point, I'm just going to operate under the assumption that nothing is coming at all to save myself from further disappointment. Guess we can file Jimmy's comments about the anniversary and upcoming releases under the same category as "I'll be touring/putting out a new album later this year". I should have known better, but I guess I just got caught up in the hype. Oh well. 

19 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

MOJO Nr. 301, December 2018, LZ 50th anniversary special, Robert "recalls":

MOJO: Did listening back to the performances from the LA Forum and the Long Beach Arena on How The West Was Won bring back any fond memories?

RP: It´s not the Bonzo´s Birthday party one, is it? When Keith Moon was playing with us?

He couldn´t care less about past or possible future releases. I doubt he knows what is left in the LZ vault.

The remaster series & all future releases are totally in the hands of Jimmy. If only he would take the multitrack & soundboard tapes to Abbey Road soon.

Funny he would conflate two dates that were almost 3 and a half years apart and had nothing to do with each other at all.

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Funny he would conflate two dates that were almost 3 and a half years apart and had nothing to do with each other at all.

I think Plant tends to do this diliberately as a sort of flippant humour mechanism, I certainly wouldn't read too much into it.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I think Plant tends to do this diliberately as a sort of flippant humour mechanism, I certainly wouldn't read too much into it.

Maybe it was a cryptic clue alluding to May 31st 1973  and June 23rd 1977 having been recorded by the band and may be released in the future? :ahhh:

Sure it’s disappointing that there’s no new live material. But let’s face it guys, we’re friggin lucky to have the boots. Some of them have terrific sound quality and capture unbelievable performances. Any official live release would be doctored to buggery with bits cut out and segments from multiple shows melded together etc etc. After the initial excitement, we’d probably be pretty uninspired and return to the boots anyway. 

I very much doubt any official live release would give me as much joy as the recently released soundboard of Osaka....or better still, the merge of the Winston version (Arigatou Osaka) and the soundboard by LedSox. If you see this post - thanks mate, awesome job. 

Is there an argument that you as fans actually have more material (bootlegs) than the record company and band have; as theirs might have been lost, stolen and wiped?.

I wonder if Zep never really thought too much about the legacy of their career until it was way too late to do anything about it. Very little in contemporary tv clips of them playing at their peak.  Unreleased tracks going on the recent releases getting a mixed reception.

I also find it odd that we are now celebrating a slew of classic LP's reaching 50 and wondering why new music has not got that swagger anymore.

3 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Is there an argument that you as fans actually have more material (bootlegs) than the record company and band have; as theirs might have been lost, stolen and wiped?.

I wonder if Zep never really thought too much about the legacy of their career until it was way too late to do anything about it. Very little in contemporary tv clips of them playing at their peak.  Unreleased tracks going on the recent releases getting a mixed reception.

I also find it odd that we are now celebrating a slew of classic LP's reaching 50 and wondering why new music has not got that swagger anymore.

The late 60s & early 70s will never be matched again in music. The artists had freedom, fresh ideas, a fusion of genres & money/time from the record labels like never before or since. 

I hope the people who were around at the time appreciate what they had because they were very lucky in that regard.

46 minutes ago, Mook said:

The late 60s & early 70s will never be matched again in music. The artists had freedom, fresh ideas, a fusion of genres & money/time from the record labels like never before or since. 

I hope the people who were around at the time appreciate what they had because they were very lucky in that regard.

:goodpost:

What Mock said, 60's and 70's very favorable to visionary artists, absolutely. I mean Yes used to release ( along with KC, bravo !!) some of the most adventurous and far-fetched music of any time, and Yes and Zep had champions in their corner at Atlantic.

Anyway, it was known even 10-15 yrs ago that Robert and JPJ had little interest in trying to keep the Zep bandwagon rolling. I feel sorry for those who first waited in 2018, and now even in 2019. I love Jimmy but in my view he has blown some turds in

the last 10-11 yrs and he has cheapened the Zep "Gold Standard". All this compared with the Crimson rollout, fantastic for their

fans, I couldn't imagine this feeble release output going back even to the 07' gig, I'm sure many fans thought some great stuff

would  be coming. Page and Plant going separately to Abbey Rd. for some probably disappointing traveling "whatever", pretty much sums up the entire situation concerning future releases.

Archived